Board logo

20vt build update
b14wrc - 13/11/16 at 11:19 AM

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I last posted on here, unfortunately I haven't had much time recently to get on with the car. I have been finishing my Masters Degree, which I had my confirmation letter yesterday saying I'd passed! 5 years of hard work, pleased it's done now. And we had a baby girl in February, so life has been busy.

I have managed to get the chassis on its wheels and started rebuild my spare motor.

Rob

coozer - 22/11/16 at 11:41 PM

Wow, your well on there!

TimC - 23/11/16 at 08:41 AM

An excellent taste in cider also.

b14wrc - 23/11/16 at 12:13 PM

Westerns is great cider, but after a few bottles it halts progress on the build lol.

I usually get some time on a Friday evening to have a play, ending the evening with a few bottles and assessing what the next job(s) are to do.

Currently working on my rear hub carriers to get the rear end fully finished in terms of suspension, will update at the weekend with progress. Then on to the inboard front suspension and a redesigned front end to sort out my steering rack fitment.

FERRARIST - 25/11/16 at 08:41 PM

Have same engine just fitted in my build, V6 3.0 from Alfa 166 previous engine......
What's you plan for the intercooler?

b14wrc - 25/11/16 at 09:11 PM

Hi,

Intercooler is going down the side and will be built into a scoop/side pod. See below....

Oil cooler in the otherside with remote oil filter kit, coming along slowly. Want to push on next year and make some progress.

What sort of power you running in yours??

Rob

FERRARIST - 26/11/16 at 08:25 AM

Don't know exact BHP, never measured it, but i'm running stage 3 of Flea remap. If you're member of FCCUK site, you should have idea of it.
GT28RS turbo, 4bar FPR, 3" exhaust, SIP, and as you can see - huge Forge cooler......
There is many cars running 290 - 360bhp with same setup and remap, and i'm happy if i'm between these figures.
I know that placing cooler like that cause huge drag, but it's trackday car only, and i can live with some.......
Description
Description
Description
Description
Description
Description

[Edited on 26/11/16 by FERRARIST]

b14wrc - 26/11/16 at 10:59 AM

Hi,

I am on the fiat forum too but haven't been active for a while. I'm aiming for around 300bhp.

Your set up looks good, very track orientated. Mine will full carbon body. Bet it sounds nice, I'm going to have a straight pipe exhaust out the side.

b14wrc - 26/11/16 at 01:07 PM

What brakes are you running?

FERRARIST - 26/11/16 at 01:25 PM

When 3.0V6 was on that chassis it weights 700kg.....i used the big Brembos from Alfa 166 with 307mm discs(i grind some metal from it, was 310mm) - running 2506418 full slicks and it was OK - no overheat, no problems - yellow EBC pads........
Now 20VT engine is 25kg lighter and i plan to use Porsche 987 Boxster S rear calipers - have 4 in my garage and they can handle 284mm front disc. Rear discs will be 257mm. Guess it will be OK, however i can upgrade if i have to.
Just dont want to have more rotating and unsprung mass needed.

b14wrc - 26/11/16 at 03:16 PM

Cool I'm using the fiat brembos and think they will be fine. 305mm disc.

b14wrc - 26/11/16 at 05:52 PM

Ferrarist, been looking at some photos of your car. Have you any close up detailed photos of your rear suspension and hub carriers? Assume you used the fiat drive shafts? What hubs did you use?

I have a long post on my design, changed it many times now! But think I'm there, used inverted front coupe 20v turbo hubs modified to suit my install.

Rob

FERRARIST - 26/11/16 at 07:17 PM

Not on my laptop, but i'll make detailed pic's tomorrow or monday.
I'm using Alfa 156 front axle uprights on the front and rear as well. Shortened and redrilled upper hole to accept 16mm rosejoint.
Lower balljoint is from Ssang Yong, it's removable, solid, and it fits directly into the upright.
I tried to do things as simple as possible for me, and because we servicing italian cars i'm familiar with it.
Alfa 156 uprights had 100mm brake calipers hole distance, and in front axle i used uprights from Alfa 166 because it's direct fit for big Brembo calipers - hole distance is 150mm. But as i said - i dont need it anymore because smaller disc and calipers used. I'm stick with 156's upright and caliper adapter.
Rear suspension is pretty strong, it survive few off track's with lot of kerbing......and 18" 27065 wide slicks used.
Actually it was the front end that i mess, because i did not calculate the roll center correctly and there is little load on outside front tire in order to produce grip.
However with 230bhp 3.0V6 it was fun to drive, no matter that it was prone to understeer a LOT.
There was some local event, two session of 4 laps, reversed grid on second session, combined laptime for both wins - i was surprised to find out that BMW E90 M with 440bhp and 4x4 turbo Astra with 520bhp, can be beaten.......https://youtu.be/voK1XZEoQuE - second session is more interesting(when i start behind them 8,30 min mark)
Go for it, it will be fun to drive.....
Description
Description
Description
Description
Description
Description

P.S - don't have time to make the gearshift linkage right, and i'm using reversed gear changes - it will be challenge for you as well. It can be done with little mods on gearbox levers. Have RWD mid-engine Alfa 156 and did it on it.

[Edited on 26/11/16 by FERRARIST]

[Edited on 27/11/16 by FERRARIST]

b14wrc - 26/11/16 at 11:07 PM

Hey,

I watched your you tube video, very impressive. It was interesting to see how much grip your car had with 230bhp, you certainly was giving it some stick.

I can't wait to see a video with the 20vt in it, I think it will be insane. Thanks for info, if you can get some more photos of your suspension I'd appreciate it, got a few ideas from what you posted so far so thanks.

Regards, Rob

b14wrc - 2/1/17 at 02:15 PM

I managed to do a little on the car over Christmas, I've made the removable rear chassis rail member, which will be bolted in once engine and gearbox are fitted and I've made a modification to the other side to clear the alternator. It looks to fit, only tacked in, needs fully welding but it should clear ok. I need to redo all my mounts, progress is slow....

Rob

FERRARIST - 2/1/17 at 03:01 PM

Had a lot of hassle until figured out place for the alternator......
Description
Description

b14wrc - 2/1/17 at 03:35 PM

Where is your bottom pulley from?

I could use that location as my front upper arm attaches quite close.....

b14wrc - 2/1/17 at 07:31 PM

FERRARIST - 2/1/17 at 10:00 PM

A local service make that pulleys, i'm using couple of these on my Alfa 156 TS engines as well......
Weights 900g and rotating mass is about 1 kg less.....

b14wrc - 2/1/17 at 10:10 PM

Does it use the same type of ribbed belt?

Have you a spare you could sell me? Post to the uk?

Regards, Rob

FERRARIST - 2/1/17 at 10:27 PM

Yes it can be used same belt, Fiat COupe use 6PK belt(6ribs) however i'm using 5 ribbed pulley because only the alternator is used, and it weights only 700g.....
I will ask about the price because it was long ago......from my memory around 60EU was the price, postage to UK is 10EU, but i can confirm it later.
However if you know some decent lathe worker, just give him your existing pulley as model, and tell him to make it 10 - 15mm smaller OD.....it works fine......

[Edited on 2/1/17 by FERRARIST]