Board logo

Thinking about a Midlana build-ish
miskit - 26/10/18 at 11:09 PM

As per this post http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/7/viewthread.php?tid=213659 and a bit of investigation. I am now thinking about building (or buying an abandoned!) Midlana or similar chassis and creating an Ariel Nomad style off-road / road car.

I don't have the patience for a long drawn out build and I will be on a tight budget as due to family pressures (ie a daughter that loves to be driven around in the sandrail) I won't be able to sell that until it's replacement is in sight. The build will also be faster as I am not bothered about it being all shiny. -If it drags on it will not be fun!

Mid engine makes sense to me. I swapped the MX5 engine into the air cooled sandrail in a few months - but lots of time was spent working out the franken-box to mate it to a 002 VW gearbox by cutting it's bell housing in half - so if I don't have to mess around with that then that's a much faster build.

What engine ? No idea, it will be stock everything (money and time again) 150-200Hp, not too modern so it does not go into limp mode because it can't find the electric windows..
I know and like the MX-5 1.8 engine and electrics - but its on the wrong type of gearbox. Suggestions please.

Suspension - I think 150-200mm of front travel is do-able without too much hassle. The rear however is a different story. The FWD gearboxes seem to put the drive shafts a long way apart which means lots of angular travel needed. Also the the rear frame gets in the way on the Midlana so that will need thinking about unless I can find an engine on a narrower trans-axle - Then I might be tempted to use the Porsche torsion bar set up as I can just weld on the back of a 944.

All just musings at the moment but discussion welcome

Angel Acevedo - 27/10/18 at 02:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by miskit
... Ariel Nomad style off-road / road car.

I Don´t think a Midlana Chassis would accept the punishment Off Road vehicles take...
I also think that you´d be better starting with domething designed for off road from the beginning.

quote:

I don't have the patience for a long drawn out build and I will be on a tight budget as due to family pressures (ie a daughter that loves to be driven around in the sandrail) I won't be able to sell that until it's replacement is in sight. The build will also be faster as I am not bothered about it being all shiny. -If it drags on it will not be fun!

There´s the old adage, (actually a members signature at some point) You can build it fast, you can build it well, you can build it cheap... Choose two..

quote:
Mid engine makes sense to me. I swapped the MX5 engine into the air cooled sandrail in a few months - but lots of time was spent working out the franken-box to mate it to a 002 VW gearbox by cutting it's bell housing in half - so if I don't have to mess around with that then that's a much faster build.

Once you have sorted the chassis, the engine will be dictated by the chassis constraints.

Not trying to discourage you, just pointing what I consider important.

ianhurley20 - 27/10/18 at 08:10 AM

Don't know if you have seen my post in the for sale section but I am selling all the bits I have collected for my own , now cancelled, Midlana build including a manual
If you can't see it U2U me and I'll send details

[Edited on 27/10/18 by ianhurley20]

big_wasa - 27/10/18 at 09:12 AM

I've not seen any abandoned chassis yet.

This is a compliment not a criticism of Kurt but the midlana is no five minuit project and there is in my opinion around 10 times the engineering involved over a traditional 7.

I had two engines on mind for mine, mk1 Focus Rs and St220 but the v6 gearbox is huge.

kingster996 - 27/10/18 at 10:46 AM

There’s an excellent midlana build Diary here https://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/127535-non-westfield-build/

miskit - 27/10/18 at 10:48 AM

Thanks for the feedback

quote:

TextI Don´t think a Midlana Chassis would accept the punishment Off Road vehicles take... I also think that you´d be better starting with something designed for off road from the beginning.

Looks like it is built like a tank to me - especially when compared with the standard locost chassis. If there are any options that don't involve a beetle floor pan or something unusable on the road (or US import) I am all ears! I have looked around .. a lot!

Yep I just don't have the patience to spend 4 years building a shiny super powerful engine. More MAd Max less bling - like my sand rail build - which is definitely not as strong as a Midlana chassis.

quote:

TextThis is a compliment not a criticism of Kurt but the midlana is no five minuit project and there is in my opinion around 10 times the engineering involved over a traditional 7.

Absolutely agree there. Not married to the idea of a Midlana - just not finding much else!

What I would really like is a set of laser cutting files or failing that a laser cut kit for the chassis then work out how to bolt in a bunch of car parts. - What i don't want to do is duplicate all the work already done by Kurt to design a chassis - when he has made it available.

miskit - 27/10/18 at 11:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kingster996
There’s an excellent midlana build Diary here https://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/127535-non-westfield-build/

Thanks! Seen that on the Midlana site but it seems a lot easier to read on the wscc!

ianhurley20 - 28/10/18 at 08:03 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kingster996

Thanks! Seen that on the Midlana site but it seems a lot easier to read on the wscc!

I hadn't seen it either but it shows what a strong unit the Midlana is, especially when compared with my Roadster and most 7's I have come across

Well done CorseChris!

miskit - 28/10/18 at 09:44 AM

Not to mention how complex the chassis build is compared with the standard 7 - and that is before I start modifying it.
Has to be a simpler alternative somewhere.

kb58 - 2/11/18 at 09:00 PM

Of course there is:
- subtract tubes, making it less stiff
- substitute larger diameter tubes with thinner walls (which violates US roll cage rules)
- do a proper FEA analysis on the chassis to see what can be removed, and at what cost. Then, when it's all done, realize that every tube is there for a reason, not just structural!

Am I over simplifying? Probably, but it's not easy to remove tubes from a tube chassis and not have it matter.

[Edited on 11/2/18 by kb58]

b14wrc - 19/12/18 at 12:24 PM

I started mine in 2010 after about 2 years of designing, and I am still not finished the chassis. But it is slowly coming together.

I went for a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo, the 5 cylinder engine which makes 220bhp out of the box. I was offered the complete car and based on the fact it sounds absolutely amazing (in my opinion) I went with that.

Light mods should see an increase in power, only down side is its heavy. But I have managed to squeeze it in and my chassis is pretty decent in terms of proportions. The other good thing is the engine and gearbox all fit together, using the original drive shafts and modified the hubs to fit my custom suspension arms.

For me, I was inspired by Kurt's work and followed him from pretty much the beginning of his Midlana build. My build is intended to be a no compromise raw track car that can be used on the road, hence why its going to be extreme. In my experience, the engineering has been harder to package it, but then to me that's the fun part.

I wouldn't go the "easy" way, just because its been done before, if I were you, be bold and try something unusual.

miskit - 19/12/18 at 11:35 PM

At the moment the plan is a RWD Grand Vittara chassis with a lowered engine - possibly a V8 or a Subaru (as there is one available) and keeping the 8 points.

"Road Rail" Sketch

Loosely based on this great looking bit of kit

Garage is full of Sandrail at the moment so not sure how I am going to manage that.

Not going to CAD it much - I bought some Balsa dowel and superglue for that 1/10 hands on feel.

WanchaiWarrior - 11/2/19 at 04:23 AM

DF Goblin A/T might be worth a look, even though left hand drive

Try here

Ugg10 - 11/2/19 at 12:15 PM

Exomotive in the US do an off road version of the MX5 based Exocet.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=19&ved=2ahUKEwirjuGP1LPgAhWcQxUIHTy5CDwQFjASegQICRAB&url=http %3A%2F%2Fexomotive.com%2Fexocet%2Foff-road%2F&usg=AOvVaw3B9eVcBULobnaP7Bso0BQn

miskit - 11/2/19 at 01:58 PM

Goblin looks OK but bringing a kit over would be eyewateringly expensive. + Not designed for IVA + A Chevy what??

I was going to build an Excocet originally (which is why my rail has an MX5 engine in it!) but found them "not to my taste" when I actually saw one, The Offroad version does look good though (in the pics) and was what turned me on the the Sandrail.

Looking at the option of a Frontera strip at the moment..