Board logo

I have finished the first BODY!
sgraber - 24/8/06 at 12:20 AM

Thought you might like to know that Yes! the first body is finished!

Click here for larger images

And one more for good measure!

[Edited on 8/24/06 by sgraber]

timmy - 24/8/06 at 02:09 AM

That looks s&^t hot Steve....

How much to post one to Australia??? :-)

Tim

sgraber - 24/8/06 at 04:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by timmy
That looks s&^t hot Steve....

How much to post one to Australia??? :-)

Tim

If you're serious, I'll look into it.

RazMan - 24/8/06 at 06:14 AM

That looks as smoooooth as a baby's bum Steve!

mackei23b - 24/8/06 at 07:25 AM

Looks great, nice curves..............

ned - 24/8/06 at 07:36 AM

mmm, pass another tissue

Dusty - 24/8/06 at 07:50 AM

Stunning.

nick205 - 24/8/06 at 07:54 AM

WOW, WOW & WOW A credit to you Steve, it looks stunning!

Even if I thought I had the skill, I know for sure I don't have the patience

Volvorsport - 24/8/06 at 08:59 AM

i know the feeling when you get the first pull

Spyderman - 24/8/06 at 11:07 AM

Steve, those panels look beautiful.
Far too nice to fit to a car!

I bet you are as proud as a new father?

Terry

Confused but excited. - 24/8/06 at 01:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
i know the feeling when you get the first pull

That's when you loose interest it motorbikes for a while isn't it?

That bodyshell looks truly awesome!

Alan B - 24/8/06 at 01:53 PM

Two thumbs up mate......
I KNEW you could do it....

But, it's damn hard work isn't it?

Hammerhead - 24/8/06 at 01:55 PM

mmmmmmmmmmm shiny!

Peteff - 24/8/06 at 03:30 PM

I remember when you were asking what to make the buck out of, well done Steve. It'll be nice to see it with lights and fittings, keep the pictures coming.

robinbastd - 24/8/06 at 09:02 PM

Well done Steve!

sgraber - 24/8/06 at 09:06 PM

Yes, very shiny! Did you know this is the first thing I have ever made in fiberglass? Deep end of the pool you know? And as Peteff pointed out I joined this community very early in the design phase so I learned most of what I needed to build the car right here on these forums. Is that scary or what!?

I hope you don't mind if I post another photo. I am showing off a bit, but hell, I think at this stage I have earned the right!

I know what you mean about the 'first pull'. I felt like a 13 year old all over again! LOL

And it has been a hell of a lot of hard work. Hardest thing I have ever done Alan. But at this point it feels like I have crested the hill.

gttman - 25/8/06 at 07:31 AM

simply stunning.

ned - 25/8/06 at 07:54 AM

Was sitting looking at my wallpaper (on the pc!) this morning and it suddenly clicked where i'd seen a similar design before, coincidental i know, can't remember if it's been mentioned before but the front of your car looks very similar to the farboud gts.

http://www.farboudsportscars.com/downloads/images/fs/front_three_quarter.jpg

http://www.grabercars.com/gallery2/d/4126-2/IMAG0015.JPG

keep up the good work Steve

sgraber - 25/8/06 at 01:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ned
Was sitting looking at my wallpaper (on the pc!) this morning and it suddenly clicked where i'd seen a similar design before, coincidental i know, can't remember if it's been mentioned before but the front of your car looks very similar to the farboud gts.

Well look at that! It does bear a striking resemblance in many ways. I wonder when the Farboud was designed? Was it before or after I was posting all of my designs on the net? I am not implying that they copied me, but the similarities are uncanny.

ned - 25/8/06 at 02:00 PM

looking at the website:
http://www.farboudsportscars.com/farboud.htm

it says the company was formed in 2004 but press articles surrounding the car go back to jan 2003.

i recon its a case of great minds think alike steve

gttman - 25/8/06 at 10:49 PM

and farboud are just up the road.... even went to see them few months ago with Razman.
Whats more amazing is that you came up with your car design in a very locost way..... wereas farboud spent a little more on the protype (ie £1.8m apparently). Big budget stuff.

I think you should do very well with your car Steve, do you have any indication of how you are going to sell it (what packages and were)?

sgraber - 28/8/06 at 04:46 PM

I make no pretense of competing with the Farboud crowd. yet.

I would like to sell worldwide. But I have to start small and work my way to that level. The only item I know the price on is the bodywork and that will be $5K. Everything else is still too early in development to say.

Here's the latest photo: (disclosure-I photo-enhanced the rear wheel to the correct stagger of 17" rear rim, 16" front rim. And the bodywork is just sitting on the car, not mounted.)

DIY Si - 28/8/06 at 04:49 PM

If I had $5k you'd already have at least 1 order! Looks incredible.

the_fbi - 28/8/06 at 05:43 PM

That is awesome

Well done that man!

TheGecko - 28/8/06 at 10:39 PM

I remember reading some years ago (although don't ask me where) that colour was agood test of styling - ie - if you could make a body look good in plain white then it would look good in almost any colour. Steve, those panels look terrific in white That said, I'd love to see a set in Lamborghini Gallardo orange.

Well done - very glad for you to be seeing the rewards for all of the effort that went into the buck.

Dominic

Ratman - 30/8/06 at 11:40 AM

Steve… I continue to be amazed at your commitment, relentless progress and quality of workmanship. Congratulations for this current milestone.
Brian.

ned - 30/8/06 at 11:44 AM

Steve,

Just noticed that there's no rollbar on that last pic, are you keeping the standard hoop as in the previous picture above or are you changing the design to reflect the twin humps of the rear body (ie would a twin hoop look better) ?

Ned.

RazMan - 30/8/06 at 12:15 PM

Talking of similarities I have a feeling that 'echoes' of your design will pop up in a lot of places Steve. I was browsing the K1 Attack site and couldn't help to notice this view...

[Edited on 30-8-06 by RazMan]

sgraber - 30/8/06 at 02:53 PM

Thank you again guys. I appreciate the comments a lot. I've been toying with the color choices and so far am down to two. Corvette Sunset Orange or Black. Definitely not red.

Rollhoop. It's just off while I mount the bodywork. The rollhoop is one major change to the design that I will be doing soon. It will continue to be a single hoop (for the time being) but it will be a double wide unit with a fairing and a 3rd stoplight built in.

I have already seen where La Bala is compared and contrasted to the Attack. The Attack is a fantastic looking car and so I take that as a compliment. I've also had it compared to a Fiero rebody! (Which I don't take as a compliment... LOL.

In August of 2002 this is where I was with the body design. And I had not seen or heard of the Attack at that time.

By August of 2003 I was in love with the Gallardo. I made a simple overlay of Bala vs Gallardo and was amazed at the similarity of proportions.

That's when I decided that the nose needed to be longer and I did this.

To design the rear of the car I took visual cues from the Ferrari Enzo. And that just happens to be very similar in layout to the Toyota MR2!

All of this brings up a very interesting point about design in general and the evolution of what is acceptably 'cool'. You see, there is no such thing as an original idea. (If you have one, keep it to yourself, because someone will steal it!) Even though we may try to think up as original a concept as possible, everything that we do is a reflection of the current state of public conciousness. It's unavoidable unless we lived on another planet.

rontyler - 7/9/06 at 03:16 AM

SG,

Long time no talk :-)

Looks incredible!!!!

Good work Bro!

rt

G.Man - 7/9/06 at 03:45 AM

Its no surprise it looks like other similar ME cars, as the shape is reminiscent of a ferrari as well...

Great job, looks sweet

Crazy Jay - 7/9/06 at 11:54 AM

Very very nice car, think it needs some bbs alloys tho

sgraber - 7/9/06 at 04:32 PM

Ron Baby! Long time no talk brother!

Is your SHO powered car still on hold?

Those BBS rims do look pretty good.

I've been working out my hinge points and trying to get a set of headlight covers from my plastic vaccum thermoforming machine. But I am failing miserably. 5 tries and not one good part.

rontyler - 7/9/06 at 09:09 PM

Yeah.. on hold terminally I'm afraid... sold the motor. But hey, the frame is hanging from the shop trusses... its a great conversation piece! Life's been too crazy to move forward with the Middy. I think about it from time to time... maybe someday.

La Bala is stunning!

Email me when you're bored... rontyler@hughes.net

rt

[Edited on 7/9/06 by rontyler]