Dick Bear's McBearen/Mclaren imitation
ettore bugatti - 26/10/06 at 10:17 PM

Found on the interweb.
Take a look here:

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4020

akumabito - 26/10/06 at 10:37 PM

Wow, looks quite impressive!

akumabito - 26/10/06 at 10:48 PM

Actually, after reading some more and looking at those pictures, I think I have to say this is one of the most impressive scratch-builds I've ever seen! absolutely amazing!

TheGecko - 26/10/06 at 11:06 PM

It is indeed very pretty metalwork. But don't look too closely at the rear suspension if you have a weak stomach! I think he's going to make some unfortunate discoveries the first time he tries it at any speed

kb58 - 27/10/06 at 01:25 AM

I'm guessing that's this picture...

Doug68 - 27/10/06 at 05:09 AM

They’ve obviously got excellent fabrication skills, but looking at the picture,
I can’t tell where if anywhere the roll-centre location will be for this layout.
I expect when loaded in a corner it’ll jack up until it runs out of travel.
Not a nice situation.

Would anyone agree?

I once new a guy who built a dune buggy, the VW front end was converted to coil over
shocks and the quality of fabrication was truly excellent, however as the suspension
compressed it was so falling rate it couldn’t lift itself off of the ground again.

Fred W B - 27/10/06 at 05:55 AM

I have been following that build, and he certianly did a lot of work in a very short time. Some discussion i've seen on other forums are picking up on the difference between a car focussed guy building a practical fast car, and someone who is more into just creating something that looks good.

Sorta the difference between race bikes/cars and choppers / street rods.

To me, the wheels are all wrong for that style of car.

Cheers

Fred W B

TheGecko - 27/10/06 at 06:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Doug68
I can’t tell where if anywhere the roll-centre location will be for this layout.

The virtual swing-axle pivot point will be waaaay out through the upper right of that picture. Extending from there through the centre of the contact patch puts the static roll centre at least a couple of feet underground! It's going to be "interesting"

I have to agree completely with Fred's comment. Hot Rod shows give me the sh*ts because I see all of this expensive fabrication with incredible attention to aesthetic detail and yet no apparent knowledge of basic engineering theory.

When he crashes it, can I have the wheels

Dominic

dl_peabody - 27/10/06 at 07:40 AM

I would like to see more projects completed by him because his metal working skills are truely NICE.

I know he has on his list of "to do's" is to fix the suspension. My hope is that he gets the chance to fix it.

[Rest of the message deleted]

Doug68 - 27/10/06 at 07:58 AM

I’m originally from the UK living in Australia now, but I spent 5 years in the middle living in the USA.
I nearly got myself in trouble a few times with custom car and bike owners, some of their ‘creations’ are literally laugh out loud funny (especially the trucks), which they didn’t appreciate at times.

One guy I’m sure was going to get out of his truck and have words with me (pointing and laughing hysterically).
But I don’t think he could quickly find the ladder he needed to get down out of the thing.

gttman - 28/10/06 at 08:00 AM

Definatelly an impressive build and I'll be folllowing it in future.

The thing that strikes me on the rear suspension is that the lower wishbone is effectivelly split with one side of it twice as long as the other... as the shorter is at the front isn't this going to induce a lot of toe change under bump and rebound?

Dick Bear - 28/10/06 at 10:01 AM

Hello LocostBuilders.co.uk

I’m Dick Bear the designer and builder of the McLaren M8B inspired build posted on MetalMeet.com.

You can view the unabridged McBearen thread at:
http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3618

I’ve enjoyed reading and seeing the recent comments in addition to the equally unique builds being accomplished by several subscribers to LocostBuilders.co.uk.

Unfortunately, there seems to be some concern for the rear suspension of the McBearen to which I can only say that I’m confident that once you read the full account of my build your concerns will be alleviated.

As a quick note, I would point out that I’m aware of, and I am planning to correct the mistakes made in both design and fabrication of the suspension. While I understand the excitement an error on my part produces when viewed by knowledgeable individuals, I hope knowing that the necessary changes are planned for will allow you to refocus your attention on the build as a whole.

During my brief tour through the LocostBuilder site I noticed many more drawings of cars than I did actual cars being built. This is, I suppose, typical since I can testify from experience that it is much easier to draw a car than it is to build one. Those of you who have progressed beyond the pen and ink stage to the point of building a car from scratch will, I’m sure, agree that both during the build process and for an extended period after the it is ‘completed’ adjustments are required and performed based upon discoveries made.

Thank you for your interest in the McBearen. As I correct the suspension issue I hope that I can draw upon the collective knowledge in evidence here.

Cheers,

Dick Bear

[Edited on 28/10/06 by Dick Bear]

[Edited on 28/10/06 by Dick Bear]

spunky - 28/10/06 at 11:40 AM

Hi Mr Bear,
I'll be the first to welcome you to locostbuilders.

I may be completely wrong, but I believe I detected a hint of irritation in your post.
You are clearly a very talented engineer, let me assure you, as I'm sure others will, that any critical discussion of your build will not be ill intended. It will be and should be viewed as constructive discussion, from which we can all learn.

There will be people setting out that are not aware of the implications or 'roll centres' and 'suspension geometry' and it is projects like yours and the discussions around it that provide the inspiration and motivation to get past the drawing stage.

I hope you will join us and keep us up to speed on your progress.

Its quite a friendly forum and if there is a greater pool of knowledge regarding car constuction and all that that entails on the web then i'm yet to find it.

Regards, and welcome aboard.

John

Peteff - 28/10/06 at 12:35 PM

I will freely admit I don't know anything about roll centres and ackerman angles etc. and I've built my book locost without having to draw anything except the suspension jigs, Ron drew it all for me. If the suspension goes up and down and the wheels don't fall off it's a success as far as I'm concerned. The drawings of wheel position and the massive arcs and camber changes are all so greatly exaggerated they are laughable, you will probably only have an inch of travel in either direction. I think you're doing alright and putting it out there for everyone to see giving them a chance to comment doesn't mean they are any more right than you. As you say, it will always be in development so you can change stuff as you learn, make your own mistakes and decide for yourself and keep up the good work Dick

[Edited on 28/10/06 by Peteff]

TheGecko - 28/10/06 at 12:54 PM

Dick,

I wrote a harsher reply than this and then decided not to send it. However, as one of the "drawing" builders you're probably referring to above (see more below on that matter), I feel I need to say something.

Firstly, let me reiterate that I am deeply impressed with the quality of the metalwork you're doing on your car. I would never undertake a metal shaping project of that magnitude. However, metalwork and engineering are not the same thing and a car needs both sets of skills. I'm not a great metalworker (or engineer really) so I try to draw on others experience and knowledge wherever possible.

The vibe on the MetalMeet forum is very different to here and, say, LocostUSA. On MetalMeet people building cars from scratch are in the minority, I'd say. Here, they're the whole community. Thusly we have a different perspective. On MM, it seems that your work has had almost universal praise. Here the response is more along the lines "Yeah it's nice, but....". I get the feeling that's not sitting well with you.

Please do not take the criticism your work is getting here and elsewhere personally (as difficult as I know that is). I believe that I and others who have commented are genuinely concerned about the safety of your rear suspension. I'm sure that many here would willing to assist you as you allude to in your last paragraph. However, I'm not sure whether you're really interested in hearing their suggestions. If you're genuinely interested I'd be happy to list the issues I see with your suspension and some suggestions for rectification (and they needn't represent a lot of work for someone with your fabrication skills).

So can we all move forward in a constructive manner from this point?

Dominic

P.S. I am making very slow progress on my build and may have some photos to post of actual chassis progress in the few weeks. However, I have a job that demands more and more time at present and car building is for me, and I suspect a lot of other people here, very much a hobby and not a profession.

gttman - 28/10/06 at 02:53 PM

Dominic
With all due respect some of the comments have been a little sharp in their criticsm and likened to pointing and Laughing. that would not lie well with me either, I guess.

Mr bear
I personelly am very impressed with your project, I am scratch building a mid engine GT car myself so know the work and commitment involved.... but I have also found that if you place your effort in open forums they will get closelly scrutenised and judged, even in areas were the car isn't finished.

Now I am aware of your site I intend to follow your progress and maybe gain some ideas and inspiration for my own project....

Doug68 - 28/10/06 at 03:27 PM

Being new here myself, I can already see that there are 2 types of person here those that put a lot of planning into the process, which invariably means a lot of CAD / CAE work these days.
And those who prefer to get stuck in building the thing directly or at least a lot sooner.

I think either way can work, but I really don’t like surprises, not when I’m building the thing and least of all not when I’m putting a vehicle into a corner at speed. So I’m well and truly in the first camp.

In my opinion if you want to design and build your own car, (which we must remember is a job involving 100’s of people when done professionally).
If you don’t have a basic understanding of what Roll Centres, Scrub Radii, caster, camber, bump steer, roll steer etc are and why you want each of them to be a particular way then you need to learn.

A year ago I had but the vaguest notion of what these all were so I sat about learning the subject, so in the end when my car gets completed it won’t be perfect but it won’t be fatally flawed. Recommended reading on the subject:

Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams, very readable and a good deal of practical information.

Race & Rally Car Source Book by Allen Staniforth. This one is a real classic in the field.

Car Suspension at Work by Jeffrey Daniels. More advanced but a highly worth while read.

I’m sure that there’s many other good books on the subject too.

BTW that’s a picture of me on the right, 1” of travel can feel like 1’ when it’s not controlled properly. If an inch is enough for the suspension to work right then it’s also enough to stuff it up completely.

sgraber - 28/10/06 at 05:58 PM

Dick, AS you mention on the other forum, it looks to me like that suspension will be very easy to fix. Compared to the rest of the McBearen build it is a trivial task. but don't drive it hard until is is fixed. One wrong bump at speed in a corner and you could stuff the whole project! That would be a real shame.

As someone who has been building a car for some time now, I for one stand in awe of your metal working talents.

I think most people here have started from the handling side and work outwards to the skin. I mean, they're building 7s for god-sake! The pinnacle of form following function.

Dick Bear - 28/10/06 at 11:58 PM

Hey guys,

This is great and I'm really not offended by any comments made. But after working the build night and day for the last year, and knowing that the rear end was out-of-wack, and knowing that changes were (are) planned for, and having stated that fact and my plans to correct it I probably was a bit defensive when I first entered locostbuilders.com.

Believe me when I say I'm a novice when it comes to most aspects of the geometry involved with suspension. Most of what I've accomplished so far has been accomplished by the seat of my pants aided thankfully during the process by individuals like yourselves making constructive critism and suggestions. Honestly, I don't have a death wish and I want the McBearen to be all it can be in every respect of its existance. I hope, if nothing else, my placing the build on MM with total transparency of my short comings represents an attitude of personal acceptance for discovering what I need to learn in order to fulfill my dream. There are, I've recently discovered, hundreds of individuals who have forgotten more than I'll ever know about suspension, front and rear. Many of these people are presumable on this site and I wish only to share what I have done with those interested while at the same time advance my knowledge and understanding through exploring their experiences. It's as simple and as complicated as that but that is all it is from my perspective.

No need for anyone of us to 'bow-up' over anything 'cause if we're not here to share and learn, the locostbuilders experience will be over quicker than the time it took us to register ourselves on the site.

At the moment, I am focused entirely on getting the McBearen's body panels prepared for painting. Once that is completed and the McLaren orange finish is applied the correcting of the rear suspension will be paramount!

If in the meantime I can answer any question you may have regarding the build, I'd be flattered to respond as best I can.

Dick Bear Rescued attachment McB Wave.jpg
Rescued attachment McB Wave.jpg

Doug68 - 29/10/06 at 01:40 AM

Spectacular fab work on the body!
Truely superb, almost a shame to paint it.

akrallysport - 29/10/06 at 03:41 AM

I am in absolute awe at your metalworking skills. Thank you for recreating such a classic racer, but with a bit of modern engine technology. For the moment, any suspension criticism is irrelevant. As an engineering student, I built a few formula-style racecar suspensions and can admit that I'm nowhere near mastering it. There's a lot to learn, just be patient.

kb58 - 29/10/06 at 05:23 AM

I'm having trouble understanding who this is about. Dick's getting pats on the back, is it him? With the vague hints, taunts, indirections and labelings, it's hard to tell who you're talking about. Steve, if it's me, be a good chap and take it off-line.

We discuss sports car design here. Saying you won't participate because you might get your feelings hurt is unfortunate. However, let the rest of us get back to what you keep reminding various forums that you won't participate in. Okay, so start "not participating."

You seem to be trying to make this a personal issue - suspension design is about physics, not childish taunts. Whether or not you are unhappy with comments here is up to you. Physics is what determines if your car makes it around a turn -- not "feelings".

[Edited on 10/29/06 by kb58]

Dick Bear - 29/10/06 at 07:30 AM

Please God... let this end now!!!!!!

What began a short 12-months ago as a dream has in the last 4-weeks become a personal nightmare. My dream has become an embarrassment resulting in personal attacts between international strangers on at least three different web sites that I'm aware of.

I simply can't believe it!! There are enough real, life threatening, issues in our world already to even entertain adding a new one which, in the scope of the world we live, doesn't amount to one ounce of importance.

Please, for the sake of everyone stop this madness.
We're all educated, creative and civilized individuals who deserve and expect better behavior from others as well as ourselves.

Please gt58 (Kurt) let it die. I've agreed with your assessment in my design. IT IS WRONG, DANGEROUS AND IF ALLOWED TO CONTINUE POSSIBLY LIFE THREATENING. I have heard your cries loud and clear and I've promised to address the problem as outlined by you. You are right!! There is no argument about the mistake I committed. Please allow this debate to end.

PLEASE!

Dick Bear

Fred W B - 29/10/06 at 04:23 PM

Dick

I, for one, am vastly impressed with what you have accomplished in such a short time frame. I am sorry that you publishing you efforts has caused distress to you. I am sure that the majority of people on here understand that not everyone can get everything right the first time.

Taking the comments on board, and using that to improve what you are doing is what this is all about.

Regards

Fred W B

JoelP - 29/10/06 at 04:42 PM

I bet trev would be interested to see the bodywork.

That last posted picture does look awesome.

marc n - 29/10/06 at 05:01 PM

dick bear

stunning bodywork, a real talent you have mastered there congratulations

gttman - 29/10/06 at 07:39 PM

Kb your comments seems pretty harsh to me.

JoelP - 29/10/06 at 07:41 PM

someone has deleted the post that kb was responding to - its not as bad as it might sounds now it looks like a rant about nothing!

gttman - 29/10/06 at 08:03 PM

OK cheers I did find it a bit puzzling.

geoffreyh - 30/10/06 at 10:13 AM

I think both Kurt and Dick have had some stressy days lately and therefore I think the discussion took a wrong turn. I've been reading on different fora and websites about this issue and I think everybody knows what to do.

We can't forget what both Dick and Kurt did those last years. They both showed us incredible workmanship in their own specialties.
There are of course a lot of others who did similar excellent jobs

Geoff

ZEN - 30/10/06 at 09:41 PM

Realy imressive build!

RallyHarry - 31/10/06 at 01:32 PM

What is the weight penalty for using metal vs fibreglas ?

Roughly in %

Cheers

kb58 - 31/10/06 at 02:29 PM

It depends if it's structural and how much load is on it. It also depends how the composite is made - parts made with a chopper gun are cheap but heavy because there's so much epoxy in it.

Somewhat related, material choice also depends on the environment. My carbon shell had to be painted with a light color paint. That's because at the desert race tracks, the heat of the sun can actually soften the epoxy. OTOH, aluminum work-hardens and will eventually crack. It's all a trade-off.

[Edited on 10/31/06 by kb58]

Fred W B - 31/10/06 at 02:43 PM

You can use a density factor of 8.07 for steel, 2.73 for aluminium, and very roughly 1.7 for conventional hand laid fibreglass.

So for the same mass, you can have a 1 mm thick steel part, a 3 mm thick ally part or an 5 mm fiberglass part.

Cheers

Fred W B

Alan B - 31/10/06 at 03:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kb58
........parts made with a chopper gun are cheap but heavy because there's so much epoxy in it...........

Nit picking, maybe, and I could be wrong, but wouldn't most cheap and cheerful parts made with a chopper gun be using the much cheaper polyester resin?

Polyester is also relatively dense/heavy, which still makes your point valid.

kb58 - 31/10/06 at 03:54 PM

Right you are!

violentblue - 1/11/06 at 12:38 AM

I used to build boats (and even the odd surfboard) years ago. it is more labour intense to lay fibrelass weave rather than give it a good healthy layer of chop. but we could build a boat almost half the weight, but just as strong, or even stronger, by hand laying different weaves and thicknesses of cloth. and thats without exotic materials.
built one kevlar reinforced river boat, that was many magnitudes stronger with no weight gain.

wish I had oppertunity to work with carbon fiber, but never did

Dick Bear - 1/11/06 at 08:11 AM

RallyHarry,

It is nearly impossible to give you a % figure for weight advantage using Fiberglass and metal because, as has already been said there are different methods of Glassing. Further, there are many different types of metal used to fabricate body panels. Even within the Aluminum family there are numerous different alloys each one having different weights, strengths and workability characteristics within a single gage.

The typical steel used for today’s body panels is 18 or 19 gage. If you are restoring an old vehicle the thickness necessary to match the original, in most cases, is much thicker. For hand shaping each of the component panels of the McBearen I used .063/3003 aluminum alloy due to its’ workability. If shaped properly this should last indefinitely.

Dick Bear

cossey - 1/11/06 at 09:18 PM

quote:
It depends if it's structural and how much load is on it. It also depends how the composite is made - parts made with a chopper gun are cheap but heavy because there's so much epoxy in it.

Somewhat related, material choice also depends on the environment. My carbon shell had to be painted with a light color paint. That's because at the desert race tracks, the heat of the sun can actually soften the epoxy. OTOH, aluminum work-hardens and will eventually crack. It's all a trade-off.

epoxy is thermoset so if it has been properly postcured it cant be softened it will just decompose

kreb - 2/11/06 at 12:48 AM

Out of curiosity, does anyone use foam core or vaccum bagging on auto bodies? I've seen some simply incredible strength-to-weight ratios acheived with epoxy/Kevlar/foam core/vacum bagging.

Chopper guns are extremely blunt instruments. I'd be embarased to use one for most projects that I'd be involved in.

kb58 - 2/11/06 at 04:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by cossey
quote:

epoxy is thermoset so if it has been properly postcured it cant be softened it will just decompose

I used West Systems epoxy and their engineer says their epoxy will soften at around 130-150deg F. While technically you're correct, about epoxy softening above the cure temperature, who here does post-cures? I left out that detail because, in our Locost context, it simply doesn't apply.

For real-world examples, how many composite aircraft are painted black? There are composite cars with dark colors, but with $millions, you can do such things. For us it's not part of our world.

[Edited on 11/2/06 by kb58]

Browser - 7/11/06 at 06:10 PM

Come on Dick, where's the next update then? I was hoping to see it'd been finished, painted and had blown away some wannabe 'The Fast And The Furious' pilot in his overblown Civic
By the way, stunning car and stunning metalwork

Dick Bear - 16/11/06 at 05:18 PM

Hey Browser...

I don't know if you seen the latest updates but I made the last one (actually 2) today.

http://metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?p=67421#post67421

You can check them out at the above address.

Thanks for your interest.

Dick Bear

Syd Bridge - 16/11/06 at 05:45 PM

Post Cures???

I post cure everything that needs top numbers. But it needs to be the right resins to start with.

Strength/weight. Depends on application.

Stiffness. Can't beat nomex core with a thin skin of something. Ali honeycomb maybe, but depends on application again.

Vacuuming a wet layup can have benefits, but forget it with prepreg, unless it has a very high resin content, which sort of defeats the purpose really.

Do I know what I'm doing? Sort of. Been playing with carbon since 1974, when it came in single tows!! Using 'composites' since I was a nuisance under Grandad's feet! And run my own autoclaves.

Cheers,
Syd.

kb58 - 16/11/06 at 07:18 PM

I didn't mention prepreg because I thought virtually no home car builders used it.

Dutchman - 17/11/06 at 01:31 PM

this is a dream ...

best project that I've seen , bring some ideas

madman280 - 24/11/06 at 04:13 AM

Dick, very nice work, your a very talented craftsman.
Don't take the critisism too hard. Opinions are like ass holes ..everyones got one...and its never pleasant when you hear someone elses.
A man who has not made any mistakes is someone who has done nothing. Making mistakes and learning from them is part of the creative process.

MG David - 24/11/06 at 09:56 AM

Going back to Rallyharry's question about relative density etc. I think there are other factors to consider as well when deciding what material to build a body out of.

Build speed/practicality and surface quality are very important, as is cost.

Taking Dick Bear’s excellent car as an example, he has made rapid progress using aluminium and has achieved a good surface quality. To build the same body out of GRP he would have either have had to have a mould or he would have had to build it from foam sheet and then laid up GRP on both sides. The outer surface would have been the back of the lay up so there would have been further work in achieving a surface good enough to paint. So when comparing weight we need to remember the weight of a good thick coat of spray putty.

madman280 - 25/11/06 at 03:54 AM

Talk about inapropriate and off topic. To go on about fiberglass construction in reply to a post about a guy who can do REAL aluminum body work is just rude. I'd rather have my lotus replica's body all aluminum. I'd polish it and show it off. Anyone can do fiberglass..it takes talent to do aluminum. Give the guy some respect.

kb58 - 25/11/06 at 08:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by madman280
I'd rather have my lotus replica's body all aluminum. I'd polish it and show it off. Anyone can do fiberglass..it takes talent to do aluminum. Give the guy some respect.

Last I read he was going to paint it. Seems a shame.

Dick Bear - 26/11/06 at 12:03 AM

Sorry to disappoint anyone but I feel that if I failed to complete the McBearen by not painting it in the traditional McLaren orange I'd be lacking.

Besides, as careful as I've tried to be in making each panel weld, there are some areas (seams) that would present a great problem if I were to attempt to polish the body.

Perhaps my next project won't have any tradition to follow and my abilities will be better making a polished surface more appropriate although the sun/glare involved in polishing aluminum presents other problems for the driver?!

I'd hate to be limited to cloudy day drives....

Dick Bear

[Edited on 26/11/06 by Dick Bear]

locost_bryan - 15/12/06 at 03:19 AM

What did Bruce build the original bodies from? Not alloy, judging by the way Denis the Bear demolished his and still kept driving

But then McBearen's an excellent replica, not a reproduction.

Personally I'd want a V8 and period style wheels. Dang, I'll just have to build my own! An M8D, and yes it HAS to be the right colour (just like a "real" Ferrari has to be).

Now, if I can build to half the standard of Mr Bear I'd be happy.

Dick Bear - 15/12/06 at 07:15 AM

Bryan,

Your question about the body shell made me think... That's new!

To date I'd always thought the bodies were made of Aluminun but I wanted to make sure before I gave you a response that was in error. As I said I thought everything was alum. primarily because his primary sposor was Reynolds Aluminum.

Well, here's what I from the McLaren Trust site in your fair land www.bruce-mclaren.com/main.htm....

- tub was all aluminum except for theengine bulhead (steel)
- One of the first to run an all aluminum engine,
- body shell..... 4-piece (including 2-doors) Glass!

Darn, I guess I'll have to start over!

I look forward to watching your progress on your own McLaren!

Dick Bear

Alan B - 15/12/06 at 02:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by madman280
.......... Anyone can do fiberglass.....

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.......

I know Dick's work and skills are excellent, I have the utmost respect, but come on......give us GRP guys some credit, if not just for sheer hours involved...

mcerd1 - 15/12/06 at 04:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TheGecko
The vibe on the MetalMeet forum is very different to here and, say, LocostUSA. On MetalMeet people building cars from scratch are in the minority, I'd say. Here, they're the whole community

Well, apart from me (and a few others) who are just here to get (or steal ) ideas and advice for there kits (or not so locost in my case - I've just added up again )

Since finding this forum (and ppc mag's it has to be said) I've changed my engine plans a fair bit (form stock ford EFI to bike carbs and Megajolt) and I haven't even started to fit the bodywork (I bought mine as I don't have the skill or patience to make it from ally or GRP)

Dick,
how who fancy coming over to fit my ally panels

-Robert

Dick Bear - 15/12/06 at 06:53 PM

Hey guys,

I truly hope no one concludes from any state I may have made that I feel one process (metal shaping or glass) takes more or less talent than the other. As I mentioned earlier, my only experience with glass nearly burned down my fathers' home so that should tell you how much I respect those who are successful in producing what I've seen being done by Steve Graber, Alan and too many others to mention individually.

Robert... I've only been fortunate enough to visit England once in my life. Had a great time there about 8-years ago when my second son took me there as a 'payback' for helping him with his college expenses. I'd love to return but find it ironic that anyone would suggest that I do so to shape metal since I've alwys thought that your island is the land where the craft was (is) most developed. I'm not a master of the trade by any means.

Heck.... I'd just love to return for a visit... having a business reason would make it that much better. I could deduct the costs!

Dick Bear

mcerd1 - 17/12/06 at 02:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dick Bear
Robert... I've only been fortunate enough to visit England once in my life. Had a great time there about 8-years ago when my second son took me there as a 'payback' for helping him with his college expenses. I'd love to return but ...

Unfortunatly I was only joking (sorry) I just need to get my finger out - my panels shouldn't need more than a quick trim and bend

Anyway, forget England - Scotland is much better

Alan B - 17/12/06 at 11:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

......Anyway, forget England - Scotland is much better

You gotta love that Scottish sense of humour....

locost_bryan - 20/12/06 at 02:15 AM

quote:
I look forward to watching your progress on your own McLaren!

Got to finish the Locost first - actually, got to start it - need to learn to weld for a start!

Dick Bear - 14/1/07 at 02:46 PM

Well I finally found some time and a reduction in hand and wrist pain to allow me to do some work on the McBearen.

Completed one of the two headlight lamp back hats.

My painting delema has been solved. A friend of a friend who is quite active in restoration and sales of 70's type muscle cars here in the states has offored to take the task on gratis. That was (is) a big issue off my list of issues to get the project completed. The two bids I had previously received were, to say the least, out of question for my budget at this time.

Dick Bear Rescued attachment IMG_#3.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_#3.jpg

kb58 - 14/1/07 at 07:16 PM

I found that any part on the car, where two assemblies are required, was sometimes not much fun. The first one is fun to do, because it's new and different. That's fine, unless it's a PITA to make. After all the struggling to get it right, you realize you have to make another one. The theory is that the second one should be easy, since the first can be used as a template, but unless the car is exactly symetric, it still has to be made as its own assembly.

In my case, getting the doors to fit right was the worst part of the entire build.

gttman - 14/1/07 at 09:25 PM

For me the light pods seem so far in the future its not funny.
After many many hours I've just finished the design of the rear of my car.... and I now have to make the other side the same.

locost_bryan - 22/1/07 at 02:30 AM

For you McLaren fans out there, a $140m movie of his life was announced at the A1GP race over the weekend.

To be produced by LoTR producer Barry Osbourne, filming is due to begin early next year.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/3935352a11.html

[Edited on 22-1-07 by locost_bryan]

kb58 - 22/1/07 at 02:36 PM

Anyone but Cruise...

Browser - 26/1/07 at 08:19 AM

Concur, anyone but Mr Cruise. I like him as an actor but not for this job
What that means is, however, we might actually get to see some Can-Am cars on the big screen, now that's gotta be worth it
My life will become one more step towards complete the day I get to see a 917/30 in Sunoco colours being given death either live at a track or on the big screen

Dick Bear - 29/4/07 at 01:27 PM

Bringing you up-to-date on the McBearen build.

Finished pre and painting yesterday of all the body panels. Will assemble and detail next week.

You can read and view the full build journal at:

http://metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3618&page=55

if your interested.

Dick Bear Rescued attachment IMG_#2.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_#2.jpg

Doug68 - 30/4/07 at 12:34 PM

A lovely shade of yellow. Corvette yellow perhaps?
I read in a motorcycle magazine a long time ago if you want to get featured in a magazine paint it yellow, photographers love yellow.

violentblue - 30/4/07 at 02:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Doug68
A lovely shade of yellow. Corvette yellow perhaps?

Mclaren orange I believe

chrisf - 30/4/07 at 11:27 PM

That paint is a damn shame--not because of its color or its application, but rather because the coachwork was painted at all.

Just my opinion.

--Chris

violentblue - 2/5/07 at 05:19 PM

Polished aluminum would be cool, but could it really be any other color than McLaren Orange, the color just suits it.
it is a newstalgia piece after all.

Dick Bear - 4/5/07 at 01:46 PM

Hey Guys,

Almost completed...... the McBearen project is coming to and end.

Here is a link to the most recent group of photos:

http://metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3618&page=56

Dick Bear

Dick Bear - 4/5/07 at 04:31 PM

Check the link in the previous post for more photos.

Dick Bear Rescued attachment IMG_1034.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_1034.jpg

Browser - 5/5/07 at 10:13 AM

That looks the absolute dogs danglies Mr Bear, we are definitely not worthy!

Now, for your next project, hows about a full-scale McLaren M20 replica, complete with Reynolds-blocked motor?

Dick Bear - 5/5/07 at 06:11 PM

Attached the graphics package to the McBearen.

http://metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3618&page=57

Only have upholstry and NC DMV to deal eith before I make driving/handling tests.

Dick Bear Rescued attachment IMG_1081.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_1081.jpg

akumabito - 5/5/07 at 06:32 PM

Absolutely amazing..

How long did the project take, start to completion?

Dick Bear - 9/5/07 at 07:34 AM

Over an 18-month period I devoted approximately 7-8 months full time to the McBearen build project. During that time I have to admit that I was guilty of working 24/7 with 18-20 hour days being the norm. I'm very happy at this point to be finished with the build and am looking forward to getting it approved for the hi-way enjoying my effort.

Dick Bear Rescued attachment IMG_1090.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_1090.jpg

suparuss - 9/5/07 at 03:27 PM

looks really cute with those big wheels! beautifull car that is, id be very proud and as another who spends almost every spare hour on my car i appreciate the dedication and sacrifice it has taken.

02GF74 - 11/5/07 at 10:21 AM

not bad, not bad at all.

do you need to have it examined, like the SVA test in UK,. before you can drive it on the roads?

not wishing to start of any arguments etc: but just curious so if you were to do it again, would you have used glassfibre bodywork?

geoffreyh - 11/5/07 at 10:26 AM

I think Dick wrote something about glass fiber a couple of pages before.

Geoff

Doug68 - 11/5/07 at 10:54 AM

Dick,

Well done its a fabulous looking piece of kit, each finished car I see here acts as an inspiration to keep going to the me and I'm sure the rest of us.

Now the fun part begins, Seeing how it goes! I for one await the first testing videos on YouTube with baited breath.

In your part of the world there'd have to be plenty of asphalt half miles to run on, but would the closest road course be Road Atlanta?

Regarding the fiberglass question, Dicks obviously got serious skills in the metal forming dept, if I could do that I'd going that way too.
As a cultural reference motorsport in the USA has a lot more metal bodied racecars that aren't modifed street cars (and so are fab'd from scratch) than in Europe and elsewhere so these types of skills are not as uncommon in the USA as they are in the rest of the world.

Dick Bear - 18/9/07 at 12:30 PM

9/18/07 McBearen update

Hey Guys,

It’s been a while since I updated the McBearen project and a lot of good things have happened. The car is finished and passed the NC-DMV inspection with flying colors and was given its’ Official VIN number and title registration/tags nearly 5-weeks ago. Since that date the little monster has been spotted on the streets and highways receiving mostly good reviews.

Last weekend I put the McBearen to the test and drove it from Winston-Salem to Atlanta Motor Speedway to be entered in the car show judging of the NOPI Nationals were it received 1st Place honors in the Elite Class! At first I wasn’t sure what kind of reception a take-off on a late 60’s CAN-AM car would receive from an estimated 1,500 Sport Compact competition entries that literally filled the infield of the mile and 1/2 speedway but the 2-day show was exciting for me and if the car could speak I’m sure it would say the same.

Many individuals stopped by to see the car mentioning that they ‘experienced” the build through the MetalMeet log and were happy to see it in person. It was good to meet them all!

On Saturday, the first day of the event the producer of one of NOPI’s TV specials shown on Speed Vision asked it I’d participate in a taped video interview about the McBearen. So for about 45-minutes we were on camera answering the interviewers questions. Following the taped conversation the two cameramen then spent about 15-minutes filing every inch of the car from every angle one could imagine in minute detail. Supposedly the segment will be shown on NOPI’s Speed Vision program during the last 2-weeks in October.

I said earlier that if the car could speak it would ‘cause at the close of the second and last day (Sunday) we were invited to drive the McBearen to the Atlanta Speedway’s Victory Lane for an exclusive photo shoot conducted by professional photographers and three-scantly clothed and refreshingly beautiful NOPI-Chic models who proceeded to climb, lay, lean, bend and contort all over the vehicle posing for some very pleasing and somewhat erotic shots using the car as a sensual prop. Based upon what I saw during the nearly 2-hour shoot I will not be lacking for background images for my computers’ desktop for years!!!!!!!!!

All in all it was a fascinating and exciting weekend for the McBearen and its owner with only one negative incident to report. After a summer of nearly no rain in the SE the travel day to Atlanta was blessed with the remains of a hurricane moving inland from of the Gulf of Mexico. Making the 7-hour trip in constant rain and an occasional cloudburst here and there wasn’t too bad since I was dressed for the weather. Unfortunately during one of the many cloudbursts a re-capped tire of a truck exploded sending tire shrapnel in every direction right ahead of me. One large piece caught the left front fender at the grill bending the brake intake port and the fender. It is bad but could have been much worst since at that moment the whole area in front of me was filled with flying rubber and biased steel wires none of which hit me or any other part of the car.

Having passed police and state troopers in Tenn., Virginia, S Carolina, Georgia and N Carolina without anything more than a long stare by any of them I was surprised to have my rearview mirrors filled with the flashing blue lights of a local constable causing me to pull over and stop, To make a long story short all he wanted was to have his picture taken with the car and ask a few questions about its existence. I was pleased to snap the photo and answer all his questions, as I chalked the moment up to the McBearen Public Relations Department.

This was the longest trip taken in the McBearen so far and except for some fuel pump issues it performed very well. The excitement generated and recognition it received made the acceptance of the damage inflicted by flying rubber less frustrating. I didn’t build the McBearen to be a trailered show car queen and it isn’t. With over 5,000 miles on the odometer in only 5-short weeks of being eligible to drive legally on streets and highways he McBearen is not a queen.

IT IS SO MUCH FUN TO DRIVE!!!!!!

Dick Bear

timf - 18/9/07 at 01:26 PM

quote:
last day (Sunday) we were invited to drive the McBearen to the Atlanta Speedway’s Victory Lane for an exclusive photo shoot conducted by professional photographers and three-scantly clothed and refreshingly beautiful NOPI-Chic models who proceeded to climb, lay, lean, bend and contort all over the vehicle posing for some very pleasing and somewhat erotic shots using the car as a sensual prop. Based upon what I saw during the nearly 2-hour shoot I will not be lacking for background images for my computers’ desktop for years!!!!!!!!!

It would be rude not to share some of the pics

sgraber - 18/9/07 at 03:41 PM

I am so happy for you. Your car (and you of course!) deserve ALL the attention you get. You have done something that few mortals will ever attempt, and you succeeded in every way.

Congratulations!

Dick Bear - 10/2/08 at 07:13 AM

I've finished the "corrected" rear suspension for the McBearen.

Using the existing bearing knuckle of the Jeep Cherokee hub I fabricated a 3-point upright, upper and lower wishbones and moved the coil-over shock inboard by incorporating a bell crank mechanism to facilitate the change in motion from vertical to horizontal. Seven rod-ends were used to connect the upright and wishbones to the frame with an additional pair of rod-ends for the shock/ride-height adjustment bar. I don’t think I’ll be lacking adjustment points once I get it to the alignment rack. An initial check of delineation from full bump to full rebound appears to be only 3 degrees. I doubt that I’ll ever experience full vertical motion (bump/rebound) once everything is loaded and tightened-up, so 3-degrees should be adequate.

Hopefully this will quiet the impulse one individual has to flame not only the car but me personally where and whenever he feels the urge.

Dick Bear

[Edited on 10/2/08 by Dick Bear] Rescued attachment IMG_1673.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_1673.jpg

Dick Bear - 10/2/08 at 08:13 AM

Here's another view

Dick Bear Rescued attachment IMG_1676.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_1676.jpg

Doug68 - 10/2/08 at 11:14 AM

Hi Dick,

Thats an interesting looking design, I don't quite get what you mean by 'delineation' is that camber gain, loss or something else?

I'm paranoid about putting rods ends in bending so if it were me I'd look at getting the push rod mounted to the same rod that the other 2 bottom rod ends are on. Then they won't have the bump load acting in bending through them.

When do we get to see the YouTube of it in action?

Dick Bear - 10/2/08 at 04:08 PM

Doug,

Now that you point out the issue of the rod end bending it is so obvious. I will change it and I don't think it will be a difficult fix at all. I can either extend the control bar to the bottom outside of the upright or perhaps simply change the orientation of the current bottom wishbone fitting by rotating it 90-degrees(?). Thanks for seeing the problem.

Once again my terminology gets me in trouble. The 3-degrees I mentioned is in fact the change in camber between full bump and full rebound. Do you feel that that is within the acceptable range?

Dick Bear

Tralfaz - 10/2/08 at 07:58 PM

quote:

Hopefully this will quiet the impulse one individual has to flame not only the car but me personally where and whenever he feels the urge.

Dick Bear

[Edited on 10/2/08 by Dick Bear]

That would be a nice treat, wouldn't it...

Doug68 - 10/2/08 at 11:22 PM

quote:
Once again my terminology gets me in trouble. The 3-degrees I mentioned is in fact the change in camber between full bump and full rebound. Do you feel that that is within the acceptable range?

Dick Bear

A probably over simplistic explanation is that as the car rolls in a turn the suspension on the outer side of the car will compress.
If say this amount of roll is 3 deg in the car, then the amount of camber gain aimed for would be at least 3 degrees. Even starting with 1 or 2 degrees of camber in the car at static height. The aim being that the tires on the outer side never lean out during a turn.

Where it all starts to get complex is that this needs to be achieved with virtual swing arm lengths that are long enough to prevent 'jacking' and to try and not have a Roll Center that moves too much otherwise the car will feel odd and unpredictable.

If you've not seen it before get hold of Herb Adams book Chass is Engineering he takes a very practical approach to the subject.