Original 917 chassis welding
Fred W B - 14/11/06 at 11:16 AM

More details here

cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 14/11/06 by Fred W B]

iank - 14/11/06 at 11:26 AM

Reminds me of this quote

Gordon Murray, designer of the McLaren F1, on if it would resemble the Ferrari F40.

"I don't think so, there's no one at McLaren who can weld that badly."

andyd - 14/11/06 at 12:23 PM

Excellent... that makes me feel sooooo much better about my welding efforts!

Surely that's just expanding foam painted over isn't it?

ecosse - 14/11/06 at 01:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andyd

Surely that's just expanding foam painted over isn't it?

I would put money on chewing gum myself

Cheers
Alex

I wonder if it has been brazed, that might account for the way it looks?

[Edited on 14/11/06 by ecosse]

iank - 14/11/06 at 01:34 PM

Maybe it sat in a chicken shed before painting

Peteff - 14/11/06 at 01:36 PM

There's lots of scope for saving there, it looks like a farmer did it and I hope I'm not offending too many farmers.

[Edited on 14/11/06 by Peteff]

Ivan - 14/11/06 at 02:01 PM

I feel sooo much better about my welding now
- maybe they forgot to chip off the flux from the stick welding

At least the original would be easy to identify because nobody would produce a copy welded so badly now.

The 917 could well have been named "The Birdcage" as well.

Alan B - 14/11/06 at 04:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
.....The 917 could well have been named "The Birdcage" as well.

Yeah, for more than one reason too...

joneh - 14/11/06 at 06:19 PM

I didn't know you could weld with a catapult....

jon_boy - 14/11/06 at 07:20 PM

I like one of the pictures with the caption "this shows the famous PORSCH welding". Damn that makes me feel good.

ChrisButler - 14/11/06 at 08:29 PM

The Porsche 917 had an Aluminum chassis. Still, those welds look pretty bad.

hillbillyracer - 14/11/06 at 09:05 PM

Peteff, as a farmer's son & agricultural engineer I have to comment on your post. You have obviuosly seen the average farmer's welding first hand! There are a few farmers who would have made brilliant engineers but a great many who will not.
Most go on the "strong is heavy, heavy is strong" way of thinking.

jacko - 14/11/06 at 09:55 PM

Were i work there is a bloke we call him teflon becouse his welds dont stick . His welds are better looking then that . Are them welds made from sikaflex ? Jacko

sgraber - 14/11/06 at 10:47 PM

That entire chassis weighs 109Lbs.

cossey - 15/11/06 at 08:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
That entire chassis weighs 109Lbs.

which is about the same as the round tube stuart taylor phoenix but that is only designed for bike engines not huge great v12s. aldo the suspension looks nowhere near as big as you would expect for a car with foot wide slicks.

Browser - 21/11/06 at 02:15 AM

I am assuming that they must've used something other than TIG? Just checked, TIG was invented back around 1939/1940 by guys working for Northrop aircraft as Jack Northrop wanted to build a magnesium-framed aircraft as it'd be nice and light (and flammable). Those Porsche welds look god-awful, possibly were they doing them to act as a sort of fillet around the weld, thinking they were adding strength? Bear in mind whilst you're cringing that Porsche designed those self-same chassis tubes to carry the engine's lub oil from the rear of the car to the nose-mounted oil cooler and back again. Drivers complained the cabin got excessively hot during races, it's not chuffin' suprisin'!
Also, note the franly pathetic-looking roll-over protection afforded by the skinny roll bar! All in all, the guys who actually raced these things deserved far more money than they got.

MrFluffy - 6/2/07 at 03:17 PM

Wonder if they are the originals, or its a rebuild chassis after a crash.. Whoever doing the repair might have tried to weld up little gussets not being confident of the strength of how he repaired it...