Board logo

How wide is the Aeon GT??
Alez - 5/2/08 at 02:50 PM

I'm thinking that, in the middy world, there's hardly any track day car kits (i.e. road and track use) with a track somewhere between narrow (Sylva Riot, ZCars Mini) and wide (Ultima GTR).. I'm thinking about a kit that would be good for a 300 bhp V6, the sort of power and weight that would justify an "in between" track like that.

Comments? How does the Aeon GT fit? (The website doesn't give any dimensions.) Any others out there?

Cheers,

Alex

Hurdsey - 5/2/08 at 03:14 PM

Post this on www.wscc.co.uk and ask for Scooby, his Aeon passed SVA last week.

RazMan - 5/2/08 at 03:17 PM

Or you could ask me

Length: 3.80 metres
Width: 1.80 metres
Wheelbase: 2.35 metres

Scooby's car has got something like 430bhp iirc and the chassis will take it nicely - I've got a measly 200bhp but the V6 doesn't hang around.

[Edited on 5-2-08 by RazMan]

Delinquent - 5/2/08 at 03:24 PM

which is only a gnats cock narrower than the Ultima at 1850mm.

mcerd1 - 5/2/08 at 03:44 PM

so does that mean my Rush will be wider than an Ultima (Dax quote 1855mm)

Hurdsey - 5/2/08 at 03:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Delinquent
which is only a gnats cock narrower than the Ultima at 1850mm.

Are you tellin' me that a Gnats cock is 2"

RazMan - 5/2/08 at 04:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hurdsey
Are you tellin' me that a Gnats cock is 2"

That would cock up the aerodynamics a bit wouldn't it?

Delinquent - 5/2/08 at 04:08 PM

you never wondered why something so small makes so much noise when it's trying to fly?

Hurdsey - 5/2/08 at 04:23 PM

Bzzzzz bzzzzzzz bzzzzzzz

Alez - 5/2/08 at 04:41 PM

Thanks guys for the useful posts and for the funny ones as well..

I thought the Aeon was narrower It actually has the sort of width that goes well with a powerful engine for an overall weight of around 1000 kg I would expect..

No "in betweens" then? I find that market gap a little strange..

kb58 - 5/2/08 at 07:14 PM

When you list "width", is that outside-to-outside of the wheels, or to the centerlines? Can make a big difference.

Alez - 5/2/08 at 07:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kb58
When you list "width", is that outside-to-outside of the wheels, or to the centerlines? Can make a big difference.

I think that "width" means the overall width of the bodywork excluding mirrors (but including wheel arches if present). Distance between tyre centerlines is the "track" I think.

1800 mm is quite wide (about the same as a Honda NSX I reckon, not as wide as a Ferrari F355 though), you won't find a car with that track (OK, maybe a Hummer has it).

Cheers,

Alex

[Edited on 5/2/08 by Alez]

kb58 - 5/2/08 at 07:47 PM

Okay thanks, just wanted to make sure of the terminology. So a 1800mm wide car is probably around about 1700mm at the hubs, figuring in wheel offsets.

[Edited on 2/5/08 by kb58]

mcerd1 - 5/2/08 at 08:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kb58
So a 1800mm wide car is probably around about 1700mm at the hubs, figuring in wheel offsets.

heres one example for you -
Dax Rush, wide rear wheels (9"x16" zero offset)
Width - 1855mm
Rear Track - 1530mm

Dax Rush, narrower rear wheels: (8.5"x16"
Width - 1795mm
Rear Track - 1511mm

[Edited on 5/2/08 by mcerd1]

RazMan - 6/2/08 at 01:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Alez
It actually has the sort of width that goes well with a powerful engine for an overall weight of around 1000 kg I would expect..

No "in betweens" then? I find that market gap a little strange..

My Aeon GT2 actually weighs 825kg wet and it has a bit more comfort than average. You could reduce that by 50kg quite easily if you are looking for a lighter car.

Alez - 6/2/08 at 11:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
My Aeon GT2 actually weighs 825kg wet and it has a bit more comfort than average. You could reduce that by 50kg quite easily if you are looking for a lighter car.

Thanks for the detail, it actually goes to confirm the figures I was guessing: if you fit a monster engine a la Ultima, that requires a monster transmission and you would be looking at around 1000 kg I think.

850 kg is the weight I would have expected for a car with that width and the sort of power you have (what's the engine btw?), provided that the engine is reasonably modern and the chassis is a proper job (I haven't been able to find ANY pictures of an Aeon chassis on their website).

Cheers,

Alex

RazMan - 6/2/08 at 01:43 PM

You can catch a few pics of my chassis in my archive complete with the 2.5 V6 Duratec fitted.

It was the chassis that attracted me to the Aeon in the first place - the handling is exemplary. The secret lies in the soft springing but effective damping and the ride quality is actually better than a lot of tin tops. The track versions are even better with anti roll bars.

Incidentally we have a much lighter race version in our membership who fitted the 330bhp Jag engine and his 0-60 time is under 3 seconds!!

iank - 6/2/08 at 01:49 PM

quote:
It was the chassis that attracted me to the Aeon in the first place - the handling is exemplary. The secret lies in the soft springing but effective damping and the ride quality is actually better than a lot of tin tops. The track versions are even better with anti roll bars.

Hardly a secret, Colin Chapman was a big believer in soft springs, firm damping

Alez - 6/2/08 at 02:11 PM

Thanks Raz, you have a very tidy picture album.

The only pic on the chassis section is this one:

Rolling Chassis Rear View
Rolling Chassis Rear View

I do like what can be seen there.

That said, for a car that wide I was expecting more room for the engine (longer engine bay), to allow for longitudinally mounted options and also so that transversely mounted options would have the engine more to the front to get the best weight distribution possible. Also from the pic it seems to me like the engine is sitting a little higher than it could? I'm clueless with car design or build and also it's only one picture but what do you think?

The more I look at the chassis pic, the more I like it anyway.

RazMan - 6/2/08 at 02:36 PM

Alez, I have uploaded a few more pics in the chassis section for you

Here is a side view which gives you an idea of the engine bay room. At the moment a 'north south' V8 is my dream so watch out for my next project which will hopefully use the Audi 4.2

Rolling Chassis Side
Rolling Chassis Side

To get the V8 in there would mean a small stretch of about 150mm in the engine bay and I don't think that will present too many problems.

*edit* The engine is indeed a little too high in the picture - I dropped it by another 25mm to line up the drive shafts properly. The camera angle doesn't do it any favours either.

[Edited on 6-2-08 by RazMan]

Alez - 6/2/08 at 02:54 PM

Hey Raz,

Thanks a lot for those, that's very kind of you, I was really curious to see what's inside the sleek bodywork.

Congratulations on your build btw, it looks great and Google told me it's raised a lot of interest in the forums and kit car enthusiast circles.

Cheers,

Alex

Alez - 6/2/08 at 04:08 PM

quote:
To get the V8 in there would mean a small stretch of about 150mm in the engine bay and I don't think that will present too many problems.

I agree, it's a similar situation to the Fury V8 compared to a Striker or a Locost, the chassis is almost identical but the RV8 won't fit inside an unmodified Striker. The extra room needed comes from the occupants space. I noticed a huge difference when I went from a book Locost to a Fury V8 on that respect: it's all good because I'm very small but on the Locost I had had to move my seat forward a lot in order to reach the pedals

quote:
Originally posted by RazMan*edit* The engine is indeed a little too high in the picture - I dropped it by another 25mm to line up the drive shafts properly. The camera angle doesn't do it any favours either.

Well done!

mcerd1 - 6/2/08 at 04:55 PM

quote:
At the moment a 'north south' V8 is my dream so watch out for my next project which will hopefully use the Audi 4.2

have you seen that audi 4.2 esprit that was in PPC this month ?
http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/issue.asp?issue=88

mistergrumpy - 6/2/08 at 05:50 PM

I've read the build diary to that Lotus. What a fantastic build and the stuff he knocks up on the lathe is fantastic. Definitely not a Locost build that one.

RazMan - 6/2/08 at 08:01 PM

I saw that too - definitely a quality job. I just wish I had his workshop. I build my cars in a single garage.