Board logo

Luego Owners Club at Newark '09'
jollygreengiant - 5/6/09 at 04:11 PM

Ok then you lovely people, I have today received the Club information and instructions for the Newark Show.

So, once again we have been moved in display location. This year we have been allocated area number 41. This is between the Main public entrance and the Cedric Ford building, but, behind the steam and stationary engine display ( ).

However, it is immediately beside one of the main camping areas. SO the next question is do we go for our usual camping area, OR do we also move camping area and be (immediately) next to display site, which will mean less moving of cars, but we will be a long way from our usual shower/toilet facilities.

any way links to show site

link to Newark '09'

Over to you lads what do you think.?????

Edit bit :-----

Oh by the way I have 1 spare entry tickets for those who will be going for the weekend AND camping in either tintop OR as passenger in Kit car U2U me (MUST be Either Luego Owner or Builder) with Address and I will let you know if I can send you one.

[Edited on 6/6/09 by jollygreengiant]

chris_smith - 5/6/09 at 04:28 PM

it will be my first show with the car and am very tempted to camp, but will act like a sheep BBaaaahhhhh and follow the rest of you

chris

Paul (Notts) - 5/6/09 at 04:52 PM

Looks like I might as well finish fitting the loud exhausts so that we can attract some attention.

Camp over by the stand if there are some toilets near by oelse Baaahhhh....

Paul

Danozeman - 6/6/09 at 08:19 AM

Im there, Baaaah. aslong as there toilets near by i dont mind where we camp. Can always drive to the shower in the morning. A long walk for a pee isnt fun.

tj4ord - 7/6/09 at 02:55 PM

hey! hopefully meet u all that weekend still haven't decided what day i'm coming, or if will be in my tin top or pinch a ride in my cousin westy. bee good to put some names to faces.

also is any one going in a velocity? bee good to have a nose around

Cheers Trev

kelloggs - 7/6/09 at 03:43 PM

Hi Clive
I don't know witch day i will be going to Newark most likely be going on Saturday think it will be in the tin top as not got the new engine fitted yet . see you Wednesday night
Trev if you like to pop over to uppingham some time you can have alook round my velocity just changeing the engine over just send me a email my u2u not working

tj4ord - 8/6/09 at 09:14 AM

Cheers Kelloggs will give u a shout next week after i get back from the download festival.

rusty nuts - 8/6/09 at 06:52 PM

I vote stick to the old camping area, at least we know the showers normally work but will go with the majority .

Paul (Notts) - 9/6/09 at 08:49 PM

Our normal camp site is good for toilets and showers first thing in the morning so I now vote for our normal spot. Will be there Friday night around 6 pm

Paul

Snuggs - 12/6/09 at 10:57 AM

^ Wot e sed ^

Paul (Notts) - 12/6/09 at 07:17 PM

Welded some brackets onto the loud exhausts on Thursday and went out for a spin. After 10 mins had to limp home on 5% throttle. Any more that that and the blood loss from my ears would have been life threatening.

Now back on the quiet ones...

Paul

wilkingj - 13/6/09 at 08:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul (Notts)
Welded some brackets onto the loud exhausts on Thursday and went out for a spin. After 10 mins had to limp home on 5% throttle. Any more that that and the blood loss from my ears would have been life threatening.

Now back on the quiet ones...

Paul

Just go to a Gun shop and buy some yellow foam earplugs, and wear them under your bike helmet.

Did it go any faster, or did it just sound faster?

rusty nuts - 13/6/09 at 08:40 AM

Did it go any faster, or did it just sound faster?

Bit like the kids round here that take the baffles out of their mopeds ? It makes enough noise as it is with the original silencers Paul.
Mel

NeilP - 14/6/09 at 07:47 PM

Had a fantastic run out with the brother in law yesterday but between us we did manage to toast the clutch so had to limp home in first - very unlikely given commitments this week (and yes before you ask that does allow for at least 4hrs sleep a night) that I'm giong to be able to get fixed for Newark - Whether it turns into a tin-top special is not yet determined - I'll keep you posted.

Back to the garage

rusty nuts - 14/6/09 at 08:07 PM

Bad luck Neil ,

simonk - 17/6/09 at 09:19 AM

Subject to the weather will be up there early on Sunday

Thanks
Simon

bill132hotrod - 17/6/09 at 09:38 AM

Hi guys
I thought i might try drag racing mine last sunday at North Weald, signed on got scutinered lined up for nearly (2) hrs gone to the line and away and left most of my clutch on the floor. ooo'ps that was not ment to happen, = clutch upgrade Verdict too many of the queens finest

jollygreengiant - 17/6/09 at 09:56 AM

Sounds like we have a lot of people with a clutch of problems for Newark this year.

simonk - 17/6/09 at 12:13 PM

I thought I had a clutch problem last week - it was slipping under load - all sorts of visions of engine out and lots of frustration. However, in the end it just proved to be that the pedal assembly wasn't allowing the master cylinder to fully extend and this was (I think) gradually pumping up the slave cylinder. Certainly all fixed by shortening the M/C pushrod and adjusting the clevis.

Cheers
Simon

wilkingj - 17/6/09 at 01:13 PM

Simon we look forward to seeing you at Newark.

Rusty Nuts and I will be leaving Cambridge 2.30 / 3pm ish (give or take etc) on Friday, if you want some travelling companions.

Will it be your first long trip, and are you camping over the weekend? We will be in the gate, turn left and camped on the right. less than 100 yeards from the entrance gate. (All Luego Owners welcome)

prawnabie - 17/6/09 at 05:55 PM

Ill be following you lot as well this year - thanks jgg

jollygreengiant - 18/6/09 at 08:12 PM

Ok then every one lets all turn up and have an excelent show again. ALl being well I will have some proofs to view of a Luego owners club badge/sticker if my son pulls his finger out and finishes it tonnight.

So just to recap our camping area will be int eh usual place, through main show car entrance, turn left and about 100 yds down on the right. I should, all being well be getting there between 2 and 3 on the Friday afternoon.

The weather is not looking too bad for the weekend, barbie & beer for the evenings and lets all have a good one.

See you there.

stevegough - 18/6/09 at 09:17 PM

I'll come and kick some tyres on sunday - I'll come and join you camping when I've got my trusty steed OTR - some time off yet, though.

Have a gr8 weekend, Steve.

Get the shades on! .....

tj4ord - 19/6/09 at 05:49 AM

Hey guys i will hopefully be up on sat morning so see some of you then

NeilP - 19/6/09 at 06:21 PM

Folks - I'm not going to be coming - no way I could get the clutch fixed in time (and I really wanted to bring the toy) and I've just been rung and given a paddock entry corporate pass for qualifying at the GP tomorrow.

Now you all know that it would take a lot more than a freebie pass to qualifying for me to ditch you lot but this is in the paddock and might also include an out of hours sneaky tour of the Renault garage so sorry - you're fired (at least until the next show).

Please have a beer or eight on my behalf and I'll see you soon.

Neil.

jollygreengiant - 21/6/09 at 05:51 PM

Well What a show. The company was excellent as usual, (except for those missing in action with burnt out clutches and blown engines) the beer was plentiful, the BBQ was superb (as was Kevs Chilli, methinks that it could become almost mandatory) and well, the strippers, what could I say about them.

I would like to thank all of you that made the effort and appeared, with or without car. It was nice once again to put faces to names. I am sorry but I did not take any photos this time but I sure that some of you did, so I am looking forward to seeing them posted. I am also looking forward to seeing a few more of you who by the sound of things should be able to be getting on the road in the next few months. We look forward to your future company.

Thank you One and All.

Cheers.

JGG

SteveWallace - 21/6/09 at 09:41 PM

Thanks to all of you form making me feel so welcome on Saturday and giving me all of the advice and tips, as well as the test drive.

The down side of your enthusiasm is that you are going to have to put up with me asking lots more dumb questions over the next few months (or years) as you have convinced me that building a Viento is the way to go.

So, its off to break the piggy bank, phone Luego and then work out what the hell to do next (which way do you turn a bolt to tighten it again?)

Don't forget, it if aint broke, take it to bits anyway!

jollygreengiant - 22/6/09 at 07:28 AM

Wellcome to the mad house Steve. As we said to you at the time ask away there is always someone with an answer. We look forward to anwering your questions and meeting up more frequently.

JGG

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
Thanks to all of you form making me feel so welcome on Saturday and giving me all of the advice and tips, as well as the test drive.

The down side of your enthusiasm is that you are going to have to put up with me asking lots more dumb questions over the next few months (or years) as you have convinced me that building a Viento is the way to go.

So, its off to break the piggy bank, phone Luego and then work out what the hell to do next (which way do you turn a bolt to tighten it again?)

Don't forget, it if aint broke, take it to bits anyway!

SteveWallace - 22/6/09 at 09:26 PM

Thanks. Is anyone still in contact with the original owners of Luego? I called the current owners today and they have offered me a deal on a V8 and gearbox that was in the factory when they took over.

Its on a sold as seen basis, which is fine, but if its known to be a pile of junk then its not worth the effort of getting it home.

Nick Davison - 23/6/09 at 06:14 AM

Hi Guys

Popped over on Sunday lunch but couldn't find you, ok I didn't check this thread before as I have been rushing about with my head on fire for a few weeks - it's hard being a playboy! Had to park in the only area that I could find that was mildly something to do with this site .. the Locost car club .... which was pointless as no one spoke to us or wanted to be engaged in conversation.

It seemed to be a good do anyway with lovely weather.

After reading this thread I now know why I didn't see any wide ones as you were quite a way out of the main action. Did anyone see my car parked up?

Nick

[Edited on 23/6/09 by Nick Davison]

wilkingj - 23/6/09 at 07:26 AM

quote:
I called the current owners today and they have offered me a deal on a V8 and gearbox that was in the factory when they took over.

What sort of V8?
Make, model, and exactly what gearbox?

jollygreengiant - 23/6/09 at 07:32 PM

Hi Nick

Yep I did spot your motor on my numerous forays across the area but did not spot you loitering/lurking near to it. We were over behind the Traction/stationary engines near the main pedestrian entrance. Well out of the way in the pit of despair. Sorry we missed you/you missed us.

Clive.

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Davison
Hi Guys

Popped over on Sunday lunch but couldn't find you, ok I didn't check this thread before as I have been rushing about with my head on fire for a few weeks - it's hard being a playboy! Had to park in the only area that I could find that was mildly something to do with this site .. the Locost car club .... which was pointless as no one spoke to us or wanted to be engaged in conversation.

It seemed to be a good do anyway with lovely weather.

After reading this thread I now know why I didn't see any wide ones as you were quite a way out of the main action. Did anyone see my car parked up?

Nick

[Edited on 23/6/09 by Nick Davison]

Numb nuts - 23/6/09 at 07:44 PM

My wife and I also spotted your car...distinctive.
We found the rest of you eventually as well.
I was hoping to catch Piddy and corner him about his side screens...he was not to be seen unfortunately
Nice to have a chat with some of you and promise to make the effort and bring the XT to Stafford if the engine transplant is done by then

SteveWallace - 24/6/09 at 07:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
quote:
I called the current owners today and they have offered me a deal on a V8 and gearbox that was in the factory when they took over.

What sort of V8?
Make, model, and exactly what gearbox?

I've now got the information. Its a Rover 3.5l V8 EFI (24D... serial number engine). I get the impression from a web search that these are not hugely powerful (somewhere between 150 and 190 BHP, depending on who you believe).

Now that I know what it is, I would be interested in views on whether its worth using it.

The gearbox is an LT77, which is a standard 5 speed box that was used in Range Rovers at the time (late '80's through to mid '90's).

Is it worth starting with this and trying to get more out of it or just going for something completely different (as Monty Python would have said)

Steve

Nick Davison - 25/6/09 at 06:05 AM

Good at least someone could see that I made the effort, perhaps if I had made a little more I would have found you guys as well.

I was surprised just how many 7s there were, it seems to be turning into a 7 show. Mind you I did still see some very strange looking cars here and there.

If anyone is interested the 2nd Tuesday in the month is a gathering in a pub in Ashby Fovile (Nr Melton Mowbray). All sorts of cars from 1912 Lagondas to modern Ferraris with loads in between. It is a big do so much so that the cricket field over the road is full of cars (all interesting ones no familiy saloons) the time I went there must have been over 100! Also the road is chocker with bikes.
The interesting thing is when you come to leave the country lane on the way out of the field is lined with spectators (and the odd policeman who seem to be spectating as well) for 200yards watching you leave and cheering any burnouts, number 11s or wheelies! It is an experience not to be missed. Oh the pub is good with a massive curry and chilli on the go outside. If I could I would go every month but unfortunately I work away during the week so never get to go. Worth a look and provide a big 7 presence, a V8 7 reducing the size of it's tyres on the exit road would go down well I would expect!

Nick

[Edited on 25/6/09 by Nick Davison]