Board logo

VW/Audi Rear Calipers - Anyone used them
mccsp - 31/3/14 at 08:54 PM

Hi,

I have a leaking rear caliper (sierra) and I am reluctant to go the seal kit route in case it is unsuccessful first time. Following Ben's response to the following post:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/viewthread.php?tid=190063&page=1#pid1599147

I am contemplating the switch from sierra rear calipers to vw/audi units. Just wondering if anyone else has done this on a Luego and whether or not there are any pit falls or added benefits?

I already have everything I need for the sierra calipers already, but a new set and new sliders will set me back £200 (Rally design), can be done cheaper, but If I could switch to the audi/vw type for comparable price, I would jump at it.

Rally Design Calipers and sliders (new):
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=13593

Cheapest remanufactured calipers (£50 plus potential for £15 back for old calipers):
Rear Right Brake Caliper To Fit FORD SIERRA GRANADA SCORPIO (CAR551R) | eBay
ear Right Brake Caliper To Fit FORD SIERRA GRANADA SCORPIO (CAR551R)

I have found a set of the audi a3 calipers (no sliders) for £100

AUDI A3 &' AUDI TT - PAIR NEW REAR BRAKE CALIPERS - 1J0615423/1J0615424 BCA067A

They use the smaller 4mm cable fitment

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

Ben_Copeland - 31/3/14 at 09:01 PM

2004 SEAT LEON CUPRA ALLOY REAR BRAKE CALIPERS &' MATCHING DISCS

£49.00 inc sliders and postage.

mccsp - 31/3/14 at 09:13 PM

There was a Ben Copeland who used to race with his dad and brother.

Will be having a measure up tomorrow evening. Thinking this sounds like a win win as I have no plans to drop to anything smaller than 15's. What are the internal diameter of your rims? I have absolutely no idea whether my wheels offer large or small internal diameter vs other wheels (Wolfrace, can't remember the model off of the top of my head).

mccsp - 31/3/14 at 09:22 PM

What handbrake cable did you use?

Ben_Copeland - 31/3/14 at 09:52 PM

Not sure about the wheels, but just a thought..... I have team dynamics alloys and et16 offset. I'm not sure if sierra offset wheels fit over them tbh

Sierra handbrake cable, cut down to the right length and a cable end fitted to the cut end.

mccsp - 31/3/14 at 10:17 PM

I need to double check but think I have ET38, which by my logic means a bigger clearance to the spokes.

Ben_Copeland - 31/3/14 at 10:24 PM

No, other way round I'm afraid. Et 16 is wider than et 38.

mccsp - 31/3/14 at 10:39 PM

Brain fade moment, Doh! Cheers

russbost - 1/4/14 at 07:54 AM

Just something else to be aware of, most late VAG rear calipers such as from the MkIV Golf & onwards have a 12mm entry hole for the brake hose, so you will probably need to replace hoses, or at a minimum if you already have braided hoses, one end of them if you still have adequate length.

mccsp - 2/4/14 at 11:56 AM

Ben,

All the vw/audi rear disc installations are only 232mm. I presume the increased disc size you are running is accommodated by a different mounting position as a result of the original sierra position?

I don't suppose you have any photo's of your set-up?

Ben_Copeland - 2/4/14 at 12:00 PM

Yes, basically with standard sierra mountings you need the bigger discs.

I don't currently have a pictures I don't think. I'll have a look. Otherwise i'll pop some up during the week if I get a chance in an evening.