Board logo

Security for IVA
SJC - 6/3/11 at 11:49 PM

Hi

I don't have a steering column with a key or original steering lock. So i understand that for the IVA i need two form of security.....I have a key fob immobiliser and would a aftermarket steering lock do for the other, or a gear lever lock??

Link for steerting lock

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9284349&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372015}/categories%3C{937 2044}/categories%3C{9382012}/specificationsProductType=car_security&tmcampid=4&tmad=c&ecamp=cse_go&CAWELAID=266909132

Link for gear lever Lock

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_183521_langId_-1_categoryId_165565

Would this pass IVA??

Many thanks
Stu

blakep82 - 6/3/11 at 11:53 PM

you're thinking too far into it. you have an immobiliser already, correct?
you MUST a key anyway (manual says that you do from what i remember), get a seperate key switch and stick that on the dash, to the right of the wheel.

thats your two. key and immobiliser

it can't really be anything which you have to 'fit' or activate, it really needs to be something which sets automatically.

[Edited on 6/3/11 by blakep82]

from the manual:

Check, in addition to the normal “ignition” switch, that the vehicle is permanently fitted with an anti-theft device or an electronic immobiliser that can be activated to prevent the vehicle being driven or moved under its own power.
A mechanical anti-theft device could be a steering lock or transmission lock. An electronic immobiliser can be activated by the ignition key (so would not be obvious) or could be separate - activated by a little fob type device

[Edited on 7/3/11 by blakep82]

pekwah1 - 6/3/11 at 11:57 PM

would one of those steering wheel locks work for IVA instead of a real mechanical steering lock?

Strontium Dog - 7/3/11 at 12:29 AM

Er No! You don't need a steering lock anyway, jusust a keyed ignition switch and an electronic fob type immobilizer. That's it job done. which is what the above means!

bodger - 7/3/11 at 11:11 AM

Do you need an installation certificate for the immobiliser ? I thought I'd read somewhere in the IVA manual that one was required. Can you fill one in yourself or does it have to be done by a recognised installer?

loggyboy - 7/3/11 at 12:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bodger
Do you need an installation certificate for the immobiliser ? I thought I'd read somewhere in the IVA manual that one was required. Can you fill one in yourself or does it have to be done by a recognised installer?

No it was changed. It justs needs to work.

The Black Flash - 7/3/11 at 11:50 PM

It's interesting about the key'd switch, because under "Required standard" it doesn't mention one. But in "method of inspection" it says, "...in addition to the normal ignition switch...". Might have to give 'em a ring about that one.

Prof_Cook - 13/1/22 at 09:19 AM

For the car I am building keen not to have anything on the steering column. I have an accredited immobiliser and was looking to have a keyed switch on a separate out of the way panel for the ignition with a starter button - would this meet the requirement?