Board logo

Dominator Headlights in an MOT?
Kriss - 17/5/11 at 11:54 AM

I hvae 4 inch Dominator headlights.

Can anyone shed any light (ha ha) on if these should pass an MOT? Mounted in the usual place on an MK chassis.

Cheers

pgtips - 17/5/11 at 12:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kriss
I hvae 4 inch Dominator headlights.

Can anyone shed any light (ha ha) on if these should pass an MOT? Mounted in the usual place on an MK chassis.

Cheers

Cant see nay problems as long as the beam immage is correct on the MOT stations headlamp aim tool.
Are they adjustable?

SeaBass - 17/5/11 at 01:11 PM

I've not had a problem, but I believe as they are motorcycle derived I think there was a question as to whether they have the correct dip pattern.

A determined MoT tester could pick up on this as a failure point.

40inches - 17/5/11 at 01:25 PM

Dominators (flat dip beam)are now ok for IVA, so I would say they are for MOT.

Hugh_ - 13/2/12 at 05:10 PM

Just for information mine has just failed its MOT on headland beam pattern with Dominator headlights, bastards, it's passed the last 2 fine...

Heres the thread with the modification for the headlights http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=90113

loggyboy - 13/2/12 at 05:24 PM

They should pass the american or american/british catagory - http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_180.htm

russbost - 13/2/12 at 06:44 PM

I have a better description of the required mods on my website,

Here

You need to scroll down past all the brakeline info & you'll find a section on Dominator headlamps, they are definitely UK legal, the problem is that sometimes due to a build up of manufacturing tolerances (remember these are a cheap Chinese light, not a pair of £200 Cibies!) the beam does in fact kickup slightly to the right - this is where testers, both IVA & MoT get the idea they are a continental only light dipping the wrong way, rectification is dead simple & takes around 10 - 15 mins per lamp (providing you don't fire the little springs round the garage, in which case it's a 3 hour nightmare!!! )

Hugh_ - 13/2/12 at 07:04 PM

Russ thanks for the call. My MOT tester wasn't complaining that they were continental, just that they are flat and don't have a pattern. I've inclined the lenses and printed the link from loggyboy so fingers crossed between those two I'll get it passed!

snowy2 - 13/2/12 at 09:53 PM

I have twin dominators on my car and they are fine for mot....the manual actually says a flat beam is ok as are left hand drive dip beams if correctors are fitted.

Hugh_ - 15/2/12 at 02:37 PM

My retest was today, guy still adamant they werent "quite right" even for one of the British American beam patterns, he let it go as being minor though. Think I'll go elsewhere next year.