Board logo

Trak car and trailer issues
theprisioner - 28/4/13 at 02:12 PM

I know this has probably been covered in other threads but I am still confused on the law+ insurance + trailers

I have several questions so when you post can you refer to the question number:

1) I have a small garden trailer, that I made myself 30years ago. When I have asked about insurance with my broker etc I have always been given the answer that if it has a make and model and it is listed by their underwriters they will insure the car + trailer + contents. The issue of course is that I made it myself but as it is usually full of garden rubbish and the tip is <1mile then I take the risk on my insurance being RTA for the duration (assuming everything else is legal). Is there any way around this known problem?

2) If I design and build my own trailer to tow track cars. I assume I now have to IVA it these days as it will be a new build and >750kg all up weight, and plated accordingly. Because it is now IVA'd does that help with the insurance companies?

3) If I buy an older pre build pre IVA requirements trailer can this be IVA'd and the information presented to the insurance company, does it make any difference?

4) The obvious answer is a s/h Brian James trailer or the like but they are very large and expensive. Storing them is a problem as most of them s/h are 5.3m and above, my storage is 5m.

Any answers would be appreciated.

daniel mason - 28/4/13 at 02:35 PM

bj minnos are small. some go in a single garage!

deeceee09 - 28/4/13 at 03:46 PM

A friend of mine makes these. http://www.allytrailer.co.uk/home Could solve your problems?

renetom - 28/4/13 at 05:00 PM

Hi
Our Indy fits fine on this BJ & tows beutifully
also fits in a single garage.

BJ Micromax trailer 3mX1.76 load bed dims

owelly - 28/4/13 at 06:02 PM

Just to clarify: your insurance should cover any third party claims caused by your car and/or trailer. Are you saying that they have told you otherwise or have you asked them to cover the trailer fully comp/ theft?