Board logo

Pre IVA pics - Picture Heavy!!
neilp1 - 15/7/14 at 09:00 AM

Guys I have my IVA next week so thought I post some pics up here to see if you can see anything I've missed.

Cheers in advance.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 15/7/14 by neilp1]

daveb666 - 15/7/14 at 09:20 AM

Indicators on front arches - hit or miss dependent on the tester. Some will fail because if you turn your wheels you won't be able to see them from behind.

Front brake lines OK at full lock - looks like they may stretch abit?

Random wire hanging down under passenger side of dash?

Other random plug hanging down by pedals?

Rotate the wire-clips on the lamdba heat-shrink around so the sharp-edge is pointing downwards not up

Tiger Super Six - 15/7/14 at 09:32 AM

Just possibles:

The rear mount for the exhaust - need some trim on the edge? I had to for my SVA
The lifting hooks for the engine - I think they would be OK but there's just no point on them being on there, I'd take them off.

Nice build and good luck.

killerferret666 - 15/7/14 at 09:34 AM

I may be imagining it, but is there a rear fog light?

Looks good though

neilp1 - 15/7/14 at 09:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by killerferret666

Looks good though

Rear fog and reverse light all built into back lights.

killerferret666 - 15/7/14 at 09:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by neilp1
quote:
Originally posted by killerferret666

Looks good though

Rear fog and reverse light all built into back lights.

The manual states the fog light must be a minimum of 100mm away from a stop lamp in section 28 table 1.

Will those light units meet that as it doesn't look like it.

loggyboy - 15/7/14 at 10:25 AM

Providing the rear light unit is 'e' marked and has the F/B mark also, then there is a note that says separtion criteria will be considered to be met where units are in a combined housing.

neilp1 - 15/7/14 at 10:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Providing the rear light unit is 'e' marked and has the F/B mark also, then there is a note that says separtion criteria will be considered to be met where units are in a combined housing.

I only bought them as where I bought them from stated they were ok for iva.

killerferret666 - 15/7/14 at 10:40 AM

quote:
Providing the rear light unit is 'e' marked and has the F/B mark also, then there is a note that says separation criteria will be considered to be met where units are in a combined housing.

Ahh perfect, missed that line. So like you say as long as F/B marking there then it should be good as one light cluster.

CosKev3 - 15/7/14 at 10:52 AM

Looks a very nice car

Good point above regarding fog light.

Pretty sure side repeaters are ok, nowhere does it state they must be tested with wheels turned.

Radius on top balljoints looks too sharp, and on front leg of hub where track rod end fits into, also are caliper edges ok?
As none of these are inside the wheel on yours to make them exempt.

Are front brake flexis just held onto car through the fibreglass side panel? As people have failed on that, as some testers say its not structural and the fiberglass can flex so could fracture the copper brake pipe. .

[Edited on 15/7/14 by CosKev3]

loggyboy - 15/7/14 at 10:52 AM

quote:
quote:

I only bought them as where I bought them from stated they were ok for iva.

Dont beleive everything you read lol
But as I said, provifing they are E marked AND have the F/B mark on the fog lamp they should be fine.

gremlin1234 - 15/7/14 at 12:27 PM

quote:
Guys I have my IVA next week so thought I post some pics up here to see if you can see anything I've missed.
Description
Description

this seems to show the balance bar tight against the pedal, which won't allow the bar to swing.

adithorp - 15/7/14 at 12:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Description
Description

this seems to show the balance bar tight against the pedal, which won't allow the bar to swing.

Thought the same myself. There has to be enough play between the pedaltube and clevis to allow it to articulate. There'saguide on the RallyDesign site I think (though it's not the easiest thing to follow).

Rest looks good. The zip-tie on the n/s rack boot could do with rotating to the rear if the tester is being picky.

neilp1 - 15/7/14 at 12:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Description
Description

there is some play in it and it seems to work fine although not sure if I have it set properly

neilp1 - 15/7/14 at 01:12 PM

Daveb666 brake flexis ok, random wire now moved and wire clips on lambe sensor rotated.

Mark exhaust rear mount now trimmed and engine lifting lugs removed.

Coskev3 front leg of hud is a bit sharp I will cover this. Top ball joint seems ok but I have another look at this brake flexis are through the fibreglass. I have to take my chance with that and hope it passes as my other one (not built be me) went through sva like that.

cheers guys

rash12 - 15/7/14 at 03:23 PM

I used the same headlights as you beware they might be too low as the tester could not see the sidelights at 80 degrees so you may have to raise them

CosKev3 - 15/7/14 at 03:33 PM

quote:

Coskev3 front leg of hud is a bit sharp I will cover this. Top ball joint seems ok but I have another look at this brake flexis are through the fibreglass. I have to take my chance with that and hope it passes as my other one (not built be me) went through sva like that.

cheers guys

Yeah it seems plenty pass,but odd ones fail.My m8 has put three MK Indys through all like it and passed.

What have you made your tunnel top with?

Not sure if its a IVA fail,but they failed MOT before now,the brake flexi on pass side has got a twist in it by looks of pic.

neilp1 - 15/7/14 at 04:06 PM

I'll check the passenger side flexi.

Tunnel top made from ali covered in carbon fibre effect.

CosKev3 - 15/7/14 at 04:37 PM

quote:
Tunnel top made from ali covered in carbon fibre effect.

Looks good

Acc8braman - 15/7/14 at 06:38 PM

Do you need rear reflectors ?

neilp1 - 15/7/14 at 06:46 PM

Reflector built into lights

CosKev3 - 15/7/14 at 07:14 PM

Handy set of lights,where are they from?

neilp1 - 15/7/14 at 08:48 PM

Lights from cbs. They were very expensive but do look good

ashg - 15/7/14 at 09:44 PM

The brake bias bar won't pass there should be shim washers between the clevis and balance bearing tube to stop the clevis catching on the tube.

Should be like this

Also dont think the clip on harnesses will pass unless the rules changed since I last did an iva. Also I don't think they will like the raised harness rings as the spacer is massively increasing the leverage on the ancorages.

Just my opinion but I have been through a few iva's now :-)

ste - 16/7/14 at 05:21 AM

Unless it has been modified since, mine failed sva on the brake warning light on the ETB dash. The brake symbol is next to the light not over it and he said in the dark, you wouldn't be able to tell what the red light was for.

I fitted a seperate warning light as my attempts to modify the dash with a sticker looked poo and non perminant.

tims31 - 16/7/14 at 06:25 AM

quote:

Cheers in advance.

Description
Description

[Edited on 15/7/14 by neilp1]

Not sure what the locking wire is there for but that looks anti-locked to me and far too loose.

AvonJas - 16/7/14 at 06:38 AM

Looking good
Don't think you will get away with using tape on top ball joint nut , it can't be reused if adjustment needed.

The Black Flash - 16/7/14 at 10:38 AM

Side repeaters on front arches are fine, only tested with the wheels straight ahead - I have this in writing from VOSA policy department, and it was also confirmed with them by phone during my test. I think the manual even states it now.

Clip on harnesses are fine - well the manual doesn't specify, however it does now state that FIA approval is accepted which never used to be the case. Most FIA ones are clip on, mine are and passed without comment.

Agree that the spacers on the belt mounts don't look ideal, but not a lot he can do about that really.

Do you have lock nuts on the master cylinder shafts? Can't see from the pics, but it's a fail if you don't have them. Like these:

Looks a really tidy build BTW, you should be proud of that
And good luck!

neilp1 - 18/7/14 at 07:42 PM

Guys thanks for all the advice. I'm going to re-do the lockwire on the bias bar. Locking nuts are fitted to the push rods.

gremlin1234 - 18/7/14 at 08:25 PM

two more points, (unlikely but not quite to the letter of the test)

the manufacturers plate should have things like colour, completely separate from the compulsory information. **

and the carpet in the drivers footwell may need securing round the edges.

** I also noticed that the iva test manual, has an errant space in its vin on the manufacturers plate ;-)

ashg - 18/7/14 at 09:11 PM

noticed another thing the lock nut isn't supposed to lock against the outer part clevis like that as it will stop it moving back and forward naturally. even if you set it with a bit of a gap there is still a chance that the bar will rotate and the nut will get closer and closer to the clevis until it binds up on the outer part.

it should lock up against the inner pivot pin of the clevis like mine below.

sorry to say it and im not sure where you got your pedals from but it doesnt look like a lot of thought went into the design.

edit.

even on the rally design ones their locking nuts secure agaist the clevis inner pin not the outer part.

something like this from cbs would sort you out

[Edited on 18/7/2014 by ashg]

[Edited on 18/7/2014 by ashg]

avagolen - 20/7/14 at 06:57 PM

Just had a look through your pictures.

I think you need to put some insulation on the wires to your master cylinders.
Double insulated and all that.

HTH

Len.

kj - 29/7/14 at 02:23 PM

Any news on the test

neilp1 - 30/7/14 at 04:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kj
Any news on the test

It Failed!!

Biggest issue was emissions considering I had it rolling roaded, so I need to trailer it back to Motoscope!!
Brake bias
handbrake - no rear travel and tester was not happy with my cable clamps although it is what Tiger supply - await answer from him on these
nsr brake flexi too close to drive shaft
an extra p clip required on rear brake pipe
fuel pressure regulator bracket loose (well moved within rivets
and tabs on front hubs to disks weren't all bent over although they were loctited.

I have completed most things now other than the front hubs and emissions. I have altered bias bar and just need to check it.

kj - 30/7/14 at 05:21 AM

Not to bad lets hope your on the road soon

adithorp - 30/7/14 at 09:17 AM

Not too bad.

What were your actual emmision readings?

CosKev3 - 30/7/14 at 09:36 AM

Not bad

Out of interest which clamps did you use on handbrake cables, and where abouts are they on cables?

gremlin1234 - 30/7/14 at 10:01 AM

quote:
Biggest issue was emissions considering I had it rolling roaded, so I need to trailer it back to Motoscope!!
you should be able to drive it to them, since its a garage for repair after it has failed a statutary test.
should also give a chance to bed the brakes in a bit too.

neilp1 - 30/7/14 at 10:19 AM

Emissions were a mile out. I don't have the reading on me, but I'll try and post them later on.

clamps on hand brake are just rear of the handbrake it's self. I'll try and get a picture of it.

code:
you should be able to drive it to them, since its a garage for repair after it has failed a statutary test. should also give a chance to bed the brakes in a bit too.

The place is 60 miles away. Would I be okay driving it there??