Board logo

Legalities of Removing Passenger Seat?
skov - 26/7/14 at 11:34 AM

Does anyone know the legalities of removing the passenger seat? (Insurance/DVLA/etc?)

It very rarely gets used in my car and looks like an easy way to remove a load of dead weight!

prawnabie - 26/7/14 at 11:57 AM

It will pass an MOT as long as you remove the seatbelt too

wilkingj - 26/7/14 at 12:10 PM

Apart from the above... NEVER carry a passenger again!
You might get a reduction in your insurance for not having a passenger.
However!!!! They might put it up as they could class it as a single seater.

Might be better to just take seat and belt out, and never carry a passenger, and say nowt.

Just my 2d's worth.

Geoff

redscamp - 26/7/14 at 12:23 PM

the back seat then becomes the "front seat" and needs a seat belt (if it did not have one on older cars)

chrism - 26/7/14 at 12:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by redscamp
the back seat then becomes the "front seat" and needs a seat belt (if it did not have one on older cars)

I think if he wants to remove the passenger seat to save weight its likely there aren't going to be any rear seats still there.

rusty nuts - 26/7/14 at 12:52 PM

Removing the seat for Mot test would only mean an advisory , the seat belt even if still fitted would no longer need to be tested

Smoking Frog - 26/7/14 at 01:07 PM

quote:

Removing the seat for Mot test would only mean an advisory , the seat belt even if still fitted would no longer need to be tested

Yes I would agree with this. Had no rear seats in when I took the tin top for an MOT once. Passed OK with a advisory note saying unable to test rear seat belts as no seats fitted. I also had a similar note when a child seat was fitted. Can't see it being a problem as far as the MOT concerned. Also remember seeing a kit car with the engine (motorbike) mounted in the passenger space.

[Edited on 26/7/14 by Smoking Frog]

skov - 26/7/14 at 01:27 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.

No need to worry about rear seats, it's a 2 seater kit car

I don't want to remove it forever (and get it re-registered as a single seater), just wondered if I'm ok to drive it with the passenger seat 'temporarily' removed

My biggest worry would be what happened if I crashed and the insurers got involved.
Thinking about it, I should probably just give them a call and ask them!

Sam_68 - 26/7/14 at 02:47 PM

I used to remove the passenger seat on both my Sylva and my Westfield. Never worried about it; never had any issues (even advisories) at MOT time.

I can't imagine any valid argument to say that not having the second seat fitted could increase insurance risk (provided you're not trying to carry a passenger without it, of course), so I never bothered telling my insurance company.

Go ahead and stop worrying about it, would be my advice!

skov - 26/7/14 at 03:11 PM

Fair point, I probably do worry too much!

HowardB - 26/7/14 at 04:22 PM

I took mine out too,. not an issue, I also put it back and no issue between there and not there for the MOT's

hth

metro6r4 - 26/7/14 at 04:58 PM

I would advise your insurance companys that you have removed it as they look for any reason to not pay out should the worst happen.They could see it as a modification that you have not informed them of but I may be wrong

Mikef - 27/7/14 at 07:15 AM

Agreed with above.