Board logo

How Many Hazard Lights?
mistergrumpy - 2/4/18 at 01:35 PM

I've a feeling I know the answer here but I'm asking in the hope I can save work. I'm getting my car back on the road before I move house and I noticed yesterday that although the side indicators on the scuttle work, they don't operate when the hazards are on. Are they required to do so for an MOT does anyone know?

gremlin1234 - 2/4/18 at 02:18 PM

yes all have to work

the iva manual says

quote:

The hazard warning device must operate all of the direction indicators simultaneously

current mot manual, see 'f'
quote:

B. Hazard Warning Device
1. Check that the hazard warning device:
a. is fitted (where required)
b. is working
c. operates using only one switch
d. switch for presence, security and operation
e. ‘tell-tale’ is working correctly
f. operates all the direction indicators simultaneously with the ignition switched both on and off.

mistergrumpy - 2/4/18 at 03:34 PM

Thanks for the reply. Problem now solved. I was going to delete the post in embarrassment TBH. I went to look at what was going on and recall my nephew asking yesterday why the under scuttle was lighting up when he was messing with the indicators. I'd taken the bulb holders out of the lenses to take the scuttle off a long while ago!

gremlin1234 - 2/4/18 at 03:54 PM

so they didn't light when using the indicators either!

good that its was easy to fix, and yea, while mildly embarrassing for you, it reminds people to check some of the easy things first

I had a side repeater on a tin top, that was intermittent, (yea I know they are supposed to flash) but it was only occasionally working.
thought bulb, inspected bulb, looked broken, with filament 'dangling' from one connection
replaced bulb with new one, still not working.
though ok must be wiring...
looked up how to strip door to find wiring etc.
tested it again before fixing it, (using another new bulb) and it worked!

SPYDER - 2/4/18 at 07:32 PM

Just as an aside to the above posts, "Q" plated cars don't require hazard warning lights at all.
The usual caveat will apply, as in, if they are fitted ( ie. the switch) then they must work.

nick205 - 3/4/18 at 08:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
Thanks for the reply. Problem now solved. I was going to delete the post in embarrassment TBH. I went to look at what was going on and recall my nephew asking yesterday why the under scuttle was lighting up when he was messing with the indicators. I'd taken the bulb holders out of the lenses to take the scuttle off a long while ago!

Not embarassing, just part of building and tinkering with our own cars IMHO!

Sounds like a relatively simple and quick fix as well - could have been a right bu88er having to dig further or wire new ones in.

mistergrumpy - 3/4/18 at 11:02 AM

Cheers fellas. Just the Speedo healer to look at now as it intermittently stops or goes berserk and then mot time. It's never actually had an mot outside of SVA so that'll be exciting/stressful.