Board logo

Taxing Without MOT
mistergrumpy - 11/4/18 at 02:31 PM

So I've booked the Locost in for its first ever MOT on Tuesday. The first since registering it in 2009. The Gov.UK website regarding MOT's says no information held. I went to the same site to tax it and put in all my details to find out how much it'd be and it didn't seem to contest anything so I went further and it accepted my payment despite saying it would check the MOT status. Any idea about what's happened here? Have I secretly got one over on the DVLA (I'll still be getting the MOT anyway because it's the right thing to do)

ianhurley20 - 11/4/18 at 03:03 PM

When they check the mot status they will cancel the tax if they find no current MOT - doesn't happen often but has done a couple of times to my knowledge

mistergrumpy - 11/4/18 at 03:09 PM

At a cost to me?

nick205 - 11/4/18 at 03:25 PM

Interested myself as I have a car without MoT or tax. Can't drive on the road myself at the moment, but a neighbour with a garage can MoT it for me - I'd rather it was taxed before asking him to drive it on the road though!

cliftyhanger - 11/4/18 at 05:02 PM

If he has a garage he may well have trade plates? Problem solved!

CosKev3 - 11/4/18 at 05:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Interested myself as I have a car without MoT or tax. Can't drive on the road myself at the moment, but a neighbour with a garage can MoT it for me - I'd rather it was taxed before asking him to drive it on the road though!

You are legally allowed to drive to a pre-booked MOT without tax,so no need to tax it before!

ianhurley20 - 11/4/18 at 05:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205

If its going to or from a pre arranged mot then you don't need tax

JeffHs - 12/4/18 at 08:37 AM

quote:

If its going to or from a pre arranged mot then you don't need tax

But you do need insurance. I've just been quoted £19 for 1 day cover to MoT my old 2CV special.

nick205 - 13/4/18 at 08:35 AM

Thanks for the feeback chaps. He does have trade plates and paying £20 for a days insurance is not a problem. I suspect he has a motor traders insurance policy covering it anyway - I'll check with him first.

mistergrumpy - 13/4/18 at 03:19 PM

As feedback, I Facebooked the DVLA ( I thought it would be quicker than ringing them. It wasn't) Their reply was that my car didn't need taxing if it was less than 3 years old, which I already knew and told them and that if I attempted to tax online without a valid MOT on a vehicle with no MOT then I wouldn't be able to as their system would reject my application. I replied with words to the effect of "wanna bet".