Board logo

IVA required?
nick205 - 8/1/19 at 04:44 PM

A work colleague is starting to build a replica of this 1920s BMW 328.

Will it require an IVA or is there a different form of test that would apply to it?

Thanks,
Nick

loggyboy - 8/1/19 at 04:54 PM

Will depend on the donor chassis.
If just a 'rebody' then no. If the chassis is replaced then yes.

nick205 - 8/1/19 at 08:18 PM

His plan is to build a Locost type chassis and fit a GRP body he already has. His donor car is an MX5.

From that my take is that he'll be subject to an IVA.

He's looked around for a suitable chassis to re-body, but the narrow track makes that very unlikely.

I'm happy to help him with advice, but don't really wish to get drawn into any actual construction.

Ugg10 - 8/1/19 at 08:37 PM

Try a herald or spitfire iirc there was a kit to rebody these into a 328, bit like the Sammio kits.

Carfolio.com lists the track and wheel base of most cars.

Spitfire 83” wheelbase 49” track front and rear https://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=55121

Herald 91.5” wheelbase 49” track front and rear https://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=55462

[Edited on 8/1/19 by Ugg10]

miskit - 8/1/19 at 09:17 PM

Read all about it!
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/radically-altered-vehicles

nick205 - 9/1/19 at 10:00 AM

Thanks guys - info will be passed on for him to read

Mr Whippy - 9/1/19 at 01:02 PM

I'd definitely IVA that with the windscreen off... Suicide doors and old style door catches, seatbacks are probably really low too might need a roll bar just to fit the seatbelts, what a potential nightmare

[Edited on 9/1/19 by Mr Whippy]

nick205 - 9/1/19 at 05:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I'd definitely IVA that with the windscreen off... Suicide doors and old style door catches, seatbacks are probably really low too might need a roll bar just to fit the seatbelts, what a potential nightmare

[Edited on 9/1/19 by Mr Whippy]

I've made the same comments to him!

Trouble is he's after recreating the original look of the BMW.

I made the point that it's close to 100 years ago and things move on.

cliftyhanger - 10/1/19 at 09:25 AM

I doubt he is building a "recreation" from period parts, but "just" another kitcar. He will need IVA.

If he goes down the spitfire/GT6 route, he will need to use the spitfire running gear, which may be appropriate? I doubt it will be driven in anger....

As an aside, I vaguely know somebody who built (from scratch, all himself) a replica Stanley Steamcar. But a very exact replica, and he managed to get it registered as a brand new car. So an 05 registered steamcar, complete with tiller steering and all! Only in the UK

nick205 - 10/1/19 at 11:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
I doubt he is building a "recreation" from period parts, but "just" another kitcar. He will need IVA.

If he goes down the spitfire/GT6 route, he will need to use the spitfire running gear, which may be appropriate? I doubt it will be driven in anger....

As an aside, I vaguely know somebody who built (from scratch, all himself) a replica Stanley Steamcar. But a very exact replica, and he managed to get it registered as a brand new car. So an 05 registered steamcar, complete with tiller steering and all! Only in the UK

Your first bit is pretty much spot on. IMHO it will be another kit car/Locost and therefore subject to the same IVA rules as other kit cars.

Interesting to hear that people get away with the secone bit of your post - as you say only in the UK (I expect).

Mr Whippy - 10/1/19 at 01:09 PM

a quick check on wiki shows the BMW probably due to the wheels being right at the front has a wheelbase about 30cm longer than the Spitfire so an unmodified chassis option would not work.

One possibility would be to buy a rough cheap JBA Falcon, Marlin or Hawke Morgan replica from the 80/90's already registered and do a body swap on that, perhaps reusing many of the fittings, seats, lights etc to keep the cost down. He could even sell the old car body on to recoup some of the cost too.

But looking at all the bespoke fittings on the BMW this is always going to be a costly car to replicate

Ugg10 - 10/1/19 at 05:06 PM

Carfolio has the original BMW 328 as -

Wheelbase
2400mm 94.5"

Track/tread (front)
1150mm 45.3"

Track/tread (rear)
1220mm 48"

Which is closer to the herald than the spitfire but depend on what the actual body he has measures as. So, looks like it may be a bespoke chassis and then IVA.