Board logo

Is a Locost a Locost on the V5c
Eddie1978 - 3/9/19 at 08:40 AM

Me a mate where having a chat the other day about kitcars, he has a flock of them basically he buys one breaks it then buys another etc....

Anyways the discussion about logbooks came up and we have couldnt decide on a definitive answer, he has a MK so its a Mk on V5c a ONYX so ONYX on V5c etc... But with a Locost would you call it a locost on the V5c or do people call it something different with the car in theory been 100% homebrewed.

907 - 3/9/19 at 09:20 AM

I don't think there is a definitive answer.

What I would say is that some like a name that is recognisable, and some that have deviated from a well trodden path will see their car as unique.
They might prefer to register with a unique name.

The problem arrises when when someone registers a car as something it obviously isn't, or simply put incorrect badges on it.

Paul G

swanny - 3/9/19 at 09:44 AM

Mine is listed as the initials as the bloke that built it.

big_wasa - 3/9/19 at 10:17 AM

My first one is registered as a

big- wasa sports cars,
Locost Roadster.

If one comes up as a Ford, triumph or one of the older less desirable kitcar's then it's probably not legit.

If you have a look I bet there is a kit known as an onyx.

Edit

I bet an onyx tomcat in poor condition has a resale value of not much more than an iva. Just saying....

[Edited on 3/9/19 by big_wasa]

Eddie1978 - 3/9/19 at 05:24 PM

Mines a locost esque thing I would say the chassis is about 95% book built but I imagine they all have some variations by the nature of what they are. Was registered in 1998 as a ALBA 70 then states it is a kitcar built from various parts or words to that effect , got its first 14years worth of mots all numbers matching so 100% happy it's legit and at least it doesn't say Dutton.

Yeah the onyx my mate has one really cannot see the appeal his is/was UNO turbo powered but still rubbish

johnemms - 3/9/19 at 07:06 PM

I registered mine as..
Make : LOCOST
Model : SUPERLITE SEVEN

;

James - 4/9/19 at 12:35 PM

I used my surname for my Locost plan-based, heavily modified design.

Never know when I might want to build something else.

Eddie1978 - 4/9/19 at 01:13 PM

Theres a locost on the bay at the moment selling as a Locost, has a Locost looking chassis , sold as first reg 2007, however when you run the reg number through MOT history check comes back as a different colour (no big thing) but also as a LOCUST 1971.

big_wasa - 4/9/19 at 02:25 PM

Yep, locust comes under the older less desirable banner I mentioned in my first post.

Ladder chassis with a plywood tub, all sorts of donors but often triumph.

theduck - 4/9/19 at 03:29 PM

You can call any kit car pretty much anything you like when you register it, just most people stick to the manufacturer and model of the kit when registering.