Board logo

DVLA during Covid
snippy - 29/6/20 at 09:01 AM

Has anyone successfully spoken to DVLA recently by phone or email? I sent my V5 off getting on 3 mths ago for it to be updated and still waiting. Phone lines are just answer phones with no facility to talk to anyone. Surely they are still operating a reduced service?

rf900rush - 29/6/20 at 01:39 PM

I phoned them last month regarding driving license renewal, and got through to human.
I was then asked if I was a key worker. I did manage to get an answer when I explained it was just a simple question.

v8kid - 29/6/20 at 05:25 PM

Just got my driving licence back on Friday. I posted the application and medical to DVLA 2 weeks before lockdown started.
They seem to be addressing the issues very slowly.
By comparison, my local authority East Ayrshire are giving pretty much a full service with staff working from home. In fact I think the service is better as staff work flexible hours and are motivated I have had emails posted evenings and weekends from them.
So it can be done if there is a common will!

steve m - 29/6/20 at 06:52 PM

I wouldn't hold your breath, DVLA are a dreadful organisation,

My Mother took 16 months to get her driving licence back, as was not allowed to drive in that time,
and all due to a DVLA FUCK UP

incompetent retards sprongs to mind

steve

steve m - 29/6/20 at 06:55 PM

Sorry, it was 14 months, ive just found the thread

I wouldn't wait for your licence to arrive with your breath holded……………

My mother, 80, had waited over 14 months for her licence to come back after a technical problem (not her or her driving)
it came back 2 weeks ago13 Apr 2020, and sent of Feb 2019

And she was not allowed to drive until it was returned, im sorry to say, but DVLA are SH!TE and all there staff need sacking and re employing with competent people

My Mother has now effectively decided not to drive any more due to not being on the road for 14 months and lost confidence
Shame, she was a VERY GOOD DRIVER, and even my wife who can be critical, said my Mother was a good driver

Now for the technical issue, Mum decided a photo licence was a good idea, not sure why? this was done some 5-6 years ago,
Yet, totally unnoticed by her came back as a provisional licence, until her insurance said she wasn't insured ?? not sure how they found out

Its taken 14 months of emails letters phone calls, and several (at least 10) certified copies of her pass certificate from 06Jan 1958 to prove she passed

Now on to my dear old Dad, who failed a couple of tests in the 60's and I can understand why !!
as a family we moved to Africa in 1962 Sierra leone and lived there till around 1968, and was asked if he could drive, yes he replied, and was given a company car, a green zodiac/zepher, and numerous other cars, and when we all came back to the UK
was given a FULL licence, My Mother was never amused at that!!

mikeb - 30/6/20 at 09:07 AM

I Had to get the emission values changed on my V5 as I realised 20 months after IVA they were incorrect ( I was checking for MOT purposes). I thought I had no chance and even less chance during lockdown. DVLA emailed back stating only keyworkers etc. I went through a different route through the vehicle approvals (IVA) department who checked the documentation and must have spoken to the DVLA direct, a couple of days later a new V5 arrived. Going straight to the DVLA may still be problematic so good luck on that one

snippy - 4/7/20 at 09:18 AM

I managed to find an option to send DVLA an e-mail by using my Key Worker status. They promise to reply to key workers within 24hrs. They have replied (after 48hrs) but it`s again a standardised reply saying they have been closed for 3 mths and my application is still waiting to be dealt with! They are unable to confirm if they`ve even received it back in April! No timescales given. Annoying as I want to advertise my kit but can`t until I get the V5 back.

Deckman001 - 4/7/20 at 11:22 AM

So with this in mind, what's everyone's opinion on me doing my own chassis number so that I can then apply for an IVA ?

Jason

wonderfulweasel - 4/7/20 at 07:57 PM

Hi Jason,
My VIN number arrived in the post today. I wrote requesting it on 4th April.
I’d continue to be patient, rather than make up your own. I think you’re more likely to cause yourself problems by trying get ahead like that.
Kit cars (rightly) aren’t their priority currently.

Deckman001 - 5/7/20 at 02:58 PM

Fantastic news, at least they are still working then so yes I'll wait until they send me what I asked for

Thanks for your update, very much appreciated.

Jason

shortcircuit - 22/7/20 at 10:29 AM

About 4 weeks ago I sent V5 for change of ownership and it came back in about 3 weeks. Can assume that as this was not complicated it returned quiet quickly.

indykid - 23/7/20 at 09:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by shortcircuit
About 4 weeks ago I sent V5 for change of ownership and it came back in about 3 weeks. Can assume that as this was not complicated it returned quiet quickly.

Not bragging, but about 6 weeks ago, I changed ownership online and the new V5 landed literally 3 days later.

Saved me the cost of a stamp and an envelope. The online services seem to be getting a lot more slick and seem to be less prone to cockups than human interaction (outside the scope of the OP by the sound of it though). I think the service is new though so worth a google to see if you can do what you want to do online before you resort to engaging them by post.

snippy - 2/8/20 at 12:10 PM

Unfortunately I couldn't use the on line service as I had to send evidence of the engine change such as proof of age, receipts etc. For a simple change of owner yes its much quicker these days. The good news is I received my updated V5 back yesterday with the new engine details so all is well finally after 3 1/2 mths of waiting.

mark.silcock - 21/8/20 at 02:27 PM

My kit has been waiting for a IVA retest since lockdown. It was booked in a week or two after the lockdown started.

Received an email on the 2nd of July to fill out a PT1 form and send it back which I have done. Only response I got was an automated one to acknowledge they had received the form.

Can't get through on the phone and no response from emails. So looks like no summer driving this year.

I was hoping seeing as it is a retest and not a full test they may have been able to get it in.

Badger_McLetcher - 21/8/20 at 03:41 PM

I submitted by IVA application with PT1 form at the end of June, they took my money at the start of July and I got my date yesterday (1st of October).

They are doing stuff, it just seems to be taking a while! Pretty sure I'll fail the IVA first time (it looks like the way these things go), so it'll probably not be on the road this year looking at how long they're taking!

gremlin1234 - 21/8/20 at 05:36 PM

they put driving test bookings back on line today, and it crashed in minutes. (thats their website, not the candidates!)

mark.silcock - 28/8/20 at 01:16 PM

Received the new test date yesterday. Got a couple of weeks to get ready!

Deckman001 - 28/8/20 at 02:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mark.silcock
Received the new test date yesterday. Got a couple of weeks to get ready!

Well done and good luck

Jason

starterman - 28/8/20 at 05:42 PM

I got through to some really helpful people whenever I've called lately. Received my IVA date and didn't have to wait very long at all.No complaints from me about the service received.

Cheers
Mike

Deckman001 - 28/8/20 at 09:41 PM

I've just applied too, second time lucky I hope, although if It gets rejected again, I'll be asking you lot who have applied and filled in the forms correctly for some advice on filling them in.

Jason

Paul M - 29/8/20 at 09:26 PM

my daughter passed her driving test a couple of weeks ago ( on a Thursday) , her new, full licence arrived in the post
the following monday - (4 days) - I would ahve been impressed with that turnaround pre covid- at least some sections
are working OK, granted they wont be issuing many new driving licences at present though.

steve m - 29/8/20 at 09:47 PM

An awful lot of these people are working from home, so what ever service you are getting, is probably better than the normal one !!

snapper - 30/8/20 at 06:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
So with this in mind, what's everyone's opinion on me doing my own chassis number so that I can then apply for an IVA ?

Jason

You can do your own VIN number as long as it complies to DVLA regs but it will have to checked by them at some stage

Deckman001 - 30/8/20 at 10:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001

Jason

You can do your own VIN number as long as it complies to DVLA regs but it will have to checked by them at some stage

I sort of thought that, but couldn't find it in writing anywhere to confirm it, hence why i wrote off to them for a DVSA one.

Jason