Board logo

Shock Horror!
Daddylonglegs - 18/4/10 at 07:19 PM

Help! I've got GAZ shocks which I bought from Dampertech late last year and they have been on the car for a fair while. The car is still 'in progress' and so the shocks have never been worked other than the odd jump up and down to check clearances etc.

I noticed today when I was fettling the rear panel that the nearside shock was very wet with oil

On further inspection I spotted that about 1/2 way along the piston rod there is a patch of corrosion! looks like 2 rings about 10mm apart and a bit in between on one part, I guess this has knackered the seal?

I took the shock out for further inspection and there appears to be zero resistance as near as damn it when I work it from stop to stop

I'm going to email Dampertech tommorrow, but wondered if anyone can throw some light onto what might have happened?

Really pi553d off though as I thought the end was within sight

JB

prawnabie - 18/4/10 at 07:22 PM

has the garage got damp at some point and water has sat on the seals?

turbodisplay - 18/4/10 at 07:26 PM

My Gazstarted to leak without being driven, not the only one to have this problem.

Protech (in the future) for me...

Darren

tomgregory2000 - 18/4/10 at 07:43 PM

GAZ are SHITE!!!!!!!!
That is exactly the same as mine but mine were on all 4 of them!!!!
got them serviced at a cost of £150 for new shafts and seals and 2 of them are FU*KED in less than 1 year and only 800 miles

STAY AWAY FROM GAZ

And dont spend your money getting them serviced just buy some different ones!

MkII - 18/4/10 at 07:46 PM

quote:

A shock absorber that cant cope with a bit of water is about as much good as an ashtray on a motorbike!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tomgregory2000 - 18/4/10 at 07:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MkII
quote:

A shock absorber that cant cope with a bit of water is about as much good as an ashtray on a motorbike!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ooooh ashtray on a motorbike, dragons den here i come

Peteff - 18/4/10 at 07:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
ooooh ashtray on a motorbike, dragons den here i come

Got one on mine, next to the washbasin

austin man - 18/4/10 at 07:57 PM

Call dampertch , the brother in law has had the same problem, they did repair them.

I have Protech fitted and cant praise the shocks and the service enough

Tipster69 - 18/4/10 at 08:14 PM

Slightly Off Topic.

(Im a noobie), the kit I have just bought has AVO coilovers with adjustable dampers, are they any good?

grazzledazzle - 18/4/10 at 08:50 PM

I binned a set of gaz shocks after less than 1000miles. Only ever had great service and products from AVO.

[Edited on 18/4/10 by grazzledazzle]

flak monkey - 18/4/10 at 08:59 PM

My Gaz have been fine (gold adjustables) for 8000miles or so, no leaks or problems.

The shafts are plated I think, so shouldnt get corroded that easily.

Maybe things have changed since I bought mine though....

MikeRJ - 18/4/10 at 09:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
The shafts are plated I think, so shouldnt get corroded that easily.

All down to the quality of the plating!

ashg - 18/4/10 at 10:50 PM

one of my gaz shocks pissed all its oil everywhere even before i had driven the car. took it down to them and they fixed it in less than 5mins. they have been fine ever since.

Wheels244 - 18/4/10 at 11:12 PM

I had a Protech leak whilst I was still building mine.
Hadn't even driven it