Board logo

Bolted outer Stub Axles
liam.mccaffrey - 26/10/10 at 12:54 PM

Does any one know any cars which have bolted outer stub axles like the sierra?

Cheers

minitici - 26/10/10 at 01:06 PM

Old VW beetles

nick205 - 26/10/10 at 01:38 PM

Do you mean as in using Lobro joints with bolt on ends...?

If so then IIRC most VAG cars do obviously FWD in the main though.

Might be worth looking at driveshafts first to see what cars are fitted with Lobros?

v8kid - 26/10/10 at 02:20 PM

Cortina? As in the grass track guys.

grassracer - 26/10/10 at 02:35 PM

If you mean that they bolt the bearing housing to the rest of the rear arm like the back of a Sierra there ain't many.
Only ones I've found are Volvo s40 or early Fiat Panda, obviously both front wheel drive though

britishtrident - 26/10/10 at 02:38 PM

Sometimes called in the books a "Live Stub Axle". The Sierra was almost unique among RWD production cars in this respect this is because the front end geometry was designed from the start to allow a minimum change 4wd version.

You can convert any FWD set up by simply gutting the CV joint of the inner spyder, balls and cage.

britishtrident - 26/10/10 at 02:41 PM

Really confused now, I had assumed you were asking about the front.

The Sierra/Granada Scorpio bolt on rear set is also pretty unique.

nick205 - 26/10/10 at 02:51 PM

help us out here Liam...?

Just and F or an R would do

interestedparty - 26/10/10 at 02:57 PM

My guess is he means the bolt on rear hub carriers, most cars don't have anything like that. BMW for instance the bearings are pressed into the trailing arm direct.

liam.mccaffrey - 26/10/10 at 03:10 PM

What I am looking for is a cost effective way to make my mx5 outer cv joint serviceable. As it is I have to have a custom shaft made to go from my volvo 850 inner CVs to mx5 outer CVs.

My problem is that the outer mx5 CV isn't designed to be removed once on as it has a blind snap ring. It is possible to remove it but its a PITA and I wouldn't want to try it whilst its on the car.

I don't really want to put my lovely new expensive custom shafts into a place they're not designed to out from.

My bright ideas to date are as follows, some better than others!

Find a bolted stub axle bigger than the mx5s and have it machined and re-heat treated.

Find a bolted stub axle and have the mx5 hubs broached out to match

Find a bolted stub axle (or a removable CV joint) that magically fits the mx5 hub dimensions.

Have a different vehicles hub and stub axle pair machined to suit the upright (like the V8 miata fellas do)

Don't use mx5 uprights at the back.

Custom made stub axles.

An obvious solution I haven't mentioned but someone will think of.

Any ideas

[Edited on 26/10/10 by liam.mccaffrey]

3GEComponents - 26/10/10 at 06:05 PM

Nissan 200SX?

Kind regards

John

liam.mccaffrey - 27/10/10 at 12:41 PM

Ive just had an idea, its mad but it just might work

Volvorsport - 27/10/10 at 10:21 PM

have a closer look at your volvo front suspension .

they have bolted bearing carriers , the axle is teh cv joint poking through it .

do a search on ebay , you can find new bearing carriers for XC90 also .