Board logo

Hard suspension - first drive
stevegough - 17/2/11 at 09:13 PM

Been out in the car a couple of times now - I am finding the rear suspension a bit solid to say the least! The present state of the local roads with potholes and ridges doesn't help, of course but I don't think it should be crashing along like it is.

Two questions for you:

1.....I have Gaz shocks - how hard do you set the damping adjuster - and which way is harder / softer?
2.....What tyre pressures should I be looking at? - I haven't changed these since they were on the donor (about 32psi).

Cheers, Steve.

laptoprob - 17/2/11 at 09:18 PM

Your starter problem is the 32psi. That pressure is fine for a car weighing around 1-1.5 tonnes!!

I run a Tiger Avon with an XE engine and it runs 14 psi all round with Gaz shox. Turn the knob all the way anticlock then adjust say 3-4 clicks at the rear and maybe 5-6 at the front.

Its then a case of running and upping the clicks till your happy.

I run those settings and i can do Cadwell full circuit in 1min40 secs. The car handles awesome to say the least.

dave r - 17/2/11 at 09:18 PM

somewhere between 15 and 20psi for me

tomgregory2000 - 17/2/11 at 09:20 PM

I wonder if you have the famous problem of luego bushes, with the crush tube being too short

lewis - 17/2/11 at 09:20 PM

18psi all-round.

matt_gsxr - 17/2/11 at 09:21 PM

Another vote for tyre pressures.

Once those are dropped a bit, then check the shocks are not bottoming out.

stevegough - 17/2/11 at 09:32 PM

Wow! impressed with the quick response there lads - thought it might be the pressures - I'll try again tomorrow with 18psi.

Tom gregory: I have been through sorting the Luego bushes problem - had the bushes in a lathe - the bushes are clear, with the tubes clamped tight to the bracket - I have also greased bush/crush tube mating surfaces with synthetic gunge.

Can I assume that fully anticlockwise is hardest setting?

nick205 - 17/2/11 at 09:39 PM

Fully anti-clockwise will almost certainly be the least damped setting on the shock. Start with it backed right off and increase a couple of clicks a time until you feel more comfortable with it.

britishtrident - 17/2/11 at 09:48 PM

Always run softer than what you feel is best, if the car is over damped it will feel great but can dump you into the barrier in the blink of an eye.

When over damped on rebound a wheels will loose contact with the road because the suspension cannot extend fast enough to remain in contact with the road.

[Edited on 17/2/11 by britishtrident]

ashg - 17/2/11 at 09:49 PM

fully anti clockwise is the softest setting you want about 4 clicks up from the min. to be double sure there should be plus an minus signs on the actual dial.

stevegough - 17/2/11 at 09:52 PM

Cheers, guys - will have a play tomorrow.

Thanks for all the details, Steve.

Mr Whippy - 18/2/11 at 08:47 AM

the way I determine tyre pressures on kit cars I've done is to clean the tyres and then roll the car over a dusty floor (not difficult in my garage) if the pressures right then the whole tread will be covered in dust.

If the edge is no covered then you need less pressure, if the centers not covered you need more. This method works very well.

My beach buggy requires just 10psi at the front 15psi at the back being such a light thing

[Edited on 18/2/11 by Mr Whippy]

rusty nuts - 18/2/11 at 07:23 PM

Had 30 psi in my tyres when I firts drove the car , dropping them down to 16psi makes a difference. Try dropping yours before doing anything else. When you sorted your arms /bushes/crush tubes did you make sure that the arms moved freely when the pivot bolts were tightened? Again sorting the crush tubes out made a huge difference. Mel

stevegough - 18/2/11 at 09:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Had 30 psi in my tyres when I firts drove the car , dropping them down to 16psi makes a difference. Try dropping yours before doing anything else. When you sorted your arms /bushes/crush tubes did you make sure that the arms moved freely when the pivot bolts were tightened? Again sorting the crush tubes out made a huge difference. Mel

Yes, Mel - the arms moved pretty freely when I'd finished mucking about with them. I have dropped the pressures to 16 / 18 today - much more pleasant to drive, but I think it might take a bit of trial and error to get the damping just right. AND it was bloody cold out there today so I didn't go too far - glad of me trapper's hat!

Thanks everyone.