Board logo

Bleeding Wilwood Calipers
big-vee-twin - 20/3/11 at 10:08 PM

Started bleeding my brakes today using one of those Easi bleed kits seems to work very well, anyway progress soon halted when I realised I hadn't got a spanner to fit the Willwood Callipers on the front.

I have an open ended and Ring spanner neither of which go onto the nipple as it is recessed.

So the question is what have you guys used for this job?

Duncan Mould - 20/3/11 at 10:14 PM

can you fit an offset ring spanner in there ?
suspect they are about 8mm ?
I have come across this problem before on a set of brembo callipers and brought a set of said spanners from machine mart for about £8.
failing that switch out your nipples for some taller ones that a brake agent may be able to supply for you.

bigrich - 20/3/11 at 10:18 PM

just used a ring spanner, 1/4 AF from memory

ashg - 20/3/11 at 10:19 PM

i undo them with a socket then put the bleed pipe on. when im done i nip it shut with my fingers by squeezing the pipe and nipple together and turning. finger tight should be enough to stop it sucking air back in until you have got the pipe off and the socket on to do it up properly. dont over tighten them as they snap easily.

shaft - 20/3/11 at 10:20 PM

+1 for 1/4" spanner.

American stuff is almost always Imperial.

RazMan - 20/3/11 at 10:49 PM

I ground down an old ring spanner to give enough clearance - it is now dubbed 'The Wilwood' spanner

big-vee-twin - 20/3/11 at 11:31 PM

Thank you for your replies, I'll try the socket or grinding a 'Willwood spanner'