Board logo

Mintex 1144 pads - where to get some?
David Jenkins - 11/7/11 at 02:22 PM

I've been looking for Mintex 1144 pads for my car's Cortina brake callipers - but I'm struggling. I've tried all the usual suspects such as Demon Tweeks. I've also heard rumours that they're discontinued (may just be a rumour).

Anyone know a reliable (and cheap) source?

Or is there a better alternative? (I'm looking for something suitable for day-to-day fast-road use).

Frosty - 11/7/11 at 02:38 PM

Have you tried Merlin Motorsport?

flibble - 11/7/11 at 02:52 PM

Merlin were the only ones of 10 or more dealers that I phoned that had some in stock last week, the rest said 5 weeks wait for new stock.

David Jenkins - 11/7/11 at 02:56 PM

Hmm - they do seem to have them. Anyone know what the part number is for Cortina callipers? It's not easy to find on their website. I know I could ring them, but I only need to know the price just at the moment!

Mal - 11/7/11 at 03:07 PM

I expect that Rally Design will be cheaper than Merlin.

David Jenkins - 11/7/11 at 03:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mal

You're correct!

This is assuming that 'MGB633' is the correct part number for Cortina callipers...
...can anyone confirm this?

Cheers

flibble - 11/7/11 at 03:49 PM

1 x MINTEX BRAKE PADS - MGB533-M1144 (FORD / LANCIA / VAUXHALL) were the ones i had for triumph type 14 calipers, thought they were early cortina fitment too but not sure at all, came to a little over £50 I believe.
And yes, RallyD were cheaper but a 5 week wait...

[Edited on 11-7-11 by flibble]
Edit: Google seems to agree with you that Cortina 3/4/5 use MGB633

[Edited on 11-7-11 by flibble]

steve m - 11/7/11 at 04:08 PM

Good thread, as i was having the same problem!

Does anyone know if the cortina M16 calipers, share the same pad with the princess 4 pot calipers

emidas - 11/7/11 at 04:34 PM

Assuming M16 calipers; they are the standard Cortina ones.
Part no: MGB633.
Rally Design £34.63 + VAT.
I ordered some on 22nd June and they arrived next day.

As an alternative, I have equivalent Greenstuff pads, bit scruffy but almost no wear. £10.00, if you are interested.
Not to my liking for racing but suspect they are fine otherwise.

procomp - 11/7/11 at 04:36 PM

Hi

For supply off Mintex pads there is really only one place to use Questmead Ltd. Haven't got a contact number to hand but Google should throw some details up.

Cheers Matt

Surrey Dave - 11/7/11 at 05:57 PM

You might go over the handlebars if you are used to standard pads!!!!!!

FASTdan - 11/7/11 at 06:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
You might go over the handlebars if you are used to standard pads!!!!!!

Yep!! We had cheapo pads in our cossie 4 pots, swapped them out for these and the difference is unreal!!

norfolkluego - 11/7/11 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mal

Rally Design also tend to deliver their stuff super fast if that's an issue. I ordered something online last Wednesday night around 10pm, it turned up at 9.30 on Friday morning.

As a matter of interest what are 1144s like when cold, do they bite right from the off (thinking about using them for sprinting)

[Edited on 11/7/11 by norfolkluego]

franky - 11/7/11 at 07:10 PM

I found camskill to be the cheapest by some margin.

David Jenkins - 11/7/11 at 07:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego

As a matter of interest what are 1144s like when cold, do they bite right from the off (thinking about using them for sprinting)

I hope so, because that's what I'm really after! I'm looking for better initial braking for less pressure - something I'm told the M1144 pads will give me.

Surrey Dave - 12/7/11 at 04:00 PM

They are fine from cold, to me they don't feel any different from a car with proper brakes!

The standard pads in mine just made a rubbing noise ,I couldn't even lock the fronts...........

tul214 - 12/7/11 at 04:26 PM

I had 1144's and agree with surrey Dave...no issues from cold but also no fade on the track. Recommended!