Board logo

Diff hiss
Lightning - 6/8/04 at 08:53 PM

Have driven 200 miles in the last few days now the car is legal.
The diff Hisses quite loudly and the appears to be quite a back lash as it clonks as the drive is taken up. Presumably this is worn.

Where is the best place to get it reconditioned or does anyone have a good sierra 7 1/4" diff. I'm in the Southwest

Jon Ison - 6/8/04 at 09:04 PM

by the looks of the pic yr running a bike engine, if so a fair bit of clonking will be coming from there too, tends to be less with more speed, the "hiss" is another story..........

Lightning - 6/8/04 at 09:14 PM

Yep fireblade. Nice to know the clonking is expected but the hiss is very loud, baring in mind that I have no screen and hence I can hear it loudly over all the wind buffeting.

[Edited on 6/8/04 by Lightning]

Hellfire - 6/8/04 at 09:49 PM

Lightning - you sure it's from the diff?

My next question is - did you shot/bead blast any of your components? You know where I am now going with this! We had some grit left over in one of the calipers... it soon went!

Lightning - 6/8/04 at 09:56 PM

Not completely sure. I did first wonder whether it was a wheel bearing

theconrodkid - 7/8/04 at 12:20 AM

remember you have little in the way of sound proofing/panels/boot junk etc between you and the diff,it will be noisier than a std road car

madforfishing - 7/8/04 at 12:49 AM

Earplugs ! Sorted !

YOU'LL HAVE TO SHOUT, HE CAN'T HEAR FOR HIS DIFF.

Mark Allanson - 7/8/04 at 05:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
remember you have little in the way of sound proofing/panels/boot junk etc between you and the diff,it will be noisier than a std road car

Also the diff is 4 feet nearer than a sierra, and not rubber mounted, not on a subframe......

Lightning - 7/8/04 at 09:04 PM

Yeh, I thought that too.

Also it occured to me tonight that it could just be the pads on the discs. I will try tomorrow touching the brakes and see if it goes.
Its probably is fine just me being paranoid.

The road holding is f*****g good though.

JB - 11/8/04 at 12:09 PM

I have a diff in very good condition in my car and it hisses at speed (above 25mph).

It sounds like a brake binding but pulling on the hand brake does not change the noise. It also does in when free wheeling.

I put it down to a solid mounted diff behind an aluminium panel and I have never been able to hear what a diff sounds like before.

John