Board logo

Rear spring rate
Westy1994 - 4/6/12 at 07:30 PM

Having fitted the springs I have and mostly driving solo, the springs I have are just right. BUT I do carry the odd passenger who is feeling brave...

This really messes my spring rate up and causes all manner of issues, I have wound the spring seats up to counteract this, but need to put this back again after the two up motoring is over due to too much preload on the springs.

There a quite a few springs available on the for sale section, but don't really want to get those to find I still have issues.

I weigh about as much as a feather, hence why a passenger has so much effect

What are folks using as a good balance between solo and two up driving, car is a road car only.

Rich.

Westy1994 - 7/6/12 at 03:45 PM

?

No one wants to reveal what rear spring rates they use?

coyoteboy - 7/6/12 at 04:13 PM

Seems to me that you dont necessarily need a higher spring rate. By adjusting your collars you're simply correcting the ride height, not changing the spring rate. If you modify the spring to a stiffer one you'll end up compromising the action without passengers.

scoop - 7/6/12 at 05:19 PM

What is your current rate and are the shocks ones that have been designed or your car?

Westy1994 - 7/6/12 at 05:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Seems to me that you dont necessarily need a higher spring rate. By adjusting your collars you're simply correcting the ride height, not changing the spring rate. If you modify the spring to a stiffer one you'll end up compromising the action without passengers.

Yes I am well aware of that , which is why I asked the question.

I have not specified my existing rate for a reason, as once you know, you will just say ' oh yes they are far too soft - get some stiffer ones, and that is fine because I know they are too soft for two up motoring but ideal for just me in the car.

What I wanted was a rough guide to what you all use, 150Lbs plus I am guessing. as that would seem to be a fair rate to start with - mine are less than that.

Cheers.

EDIT TO ADD

I run Nitrons front and rear, the fronts are perfect, just the rears need sorting.

[Edited on 7/6/12 by Westy1994]

coyoteboy - 7/6/12 at 05:56 PM

Well no, you kind of missed my point. Point was that if you change the spring rate you'll change your handling when one-up, you can't get away from that regardless, so you might as well stick to moving the seats as and when it's needed and keep the handling you like rather than lose the handling and not have to move seats on the odd occasion.

Westy1994 - 7/6/12 at 06:05 PM

Ah I see ok, well a bit like my thread on all weather tyres, I am trying to get away from messing with the car everytime I either need to use the car in the wet or carry passengers, I know that any spring rate change will mess up my solo ride, but there must be a compromise between solo and two up driving. I am not getting any younger and my times of changing this and that depending on what day it is are coming to an end. I have spent the best part of 30 years under cars of one sort or another and now just want to jump in and drive the thing for once.

scoop - 7/6/12 at 06:11 PM

I ran 9 inch 150lb 1.9"inch springs.
I'm 16 stone and never had to change anything even with passengers.

[Edited on 7/6/12 by scoop]

JB - 16/6/12 at 08:58 AM

My thought is that most people run too stiff so will not notice a difference.

I do not think there is any way around your problem. If you optimise for just yourself it will sag too much with a passenger. Get it correct with a passenger and it will be too hard for just you.

You could compromise with a mid way set up but then it wouldbe a compromise.

scoop - 16/6/12 at 04:51 PM

Where hs he gone. On holiday?