Board logo

3d printed bush
b14wrc - 21/7/13 at 11:04 AM

Hi all,

Some may have seen my posts regarding making bushes:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=180604

Well I have moved it to the next stage, I have printed a bush to use as a plug and intend to make a silicone mould from this, this bush is not quite right, hoping I can redo it this week at work and start the mould soon.

It came out really well and will make a good dimensional component. Reckon I will need to mould at least 20 of these, so will work out a lot cheaper than buying them! Plus ill have the benefit of being able to 'tune' the hardness and make replacements should they ware out.

Rob

b14wrc - 27/7/13 at 09:08 AM

Update:

1st prototype.

Turned out exactly as I'd hoped, just need to print some more so I can mould several at a time, then decide on the colour I want.

Any suggestions on colours?

Rob

clairetoo - 27/7/13 at 10:48 AM

Very interesting........would this method work for bump stops ? I'm finding getting replacements for some old Ohlins to be near impossible........

b14wrc - 27/7/13 at 11:20 AM

Yes, it's very easy to make bushes in this way.

Still a few bits to refine before these are ready for the car, but it's a much better way than buying in my opinion.

Not sure if A70 is going to be hard enough though.....

Rob

ste - 1/8/13 at 05:06 AM

Those look good.

Not wanting to teach you to suck eggs, but have a look at a vaccuum de-gassing system for your final bushes to get all the air bubbles out.

Dingz - 1/8/13 at 08:04 AM

70 Shore A would be ok for pneumatic seals though! you will need to go to shore D I suspect.

b14wrc - 1/8/13 at 12:21 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the info, yes, i will be vac'ing the final products. I have a Vaccum pump i use for Resin Infusion so will be perfect for de-gassing the PU prior to pouring.

Shore D is too hard. Polyfex sell bushes in the range of A70 - A95, i was hoping someone with some experience of different hardnesses could tell me if the 'feel' of the car changes with different grades of rubber being used.

Happy to try it and post the results at a later date.

Rob

coyoteboy - 3/8/13 at 12:39 AM

I used an A80 as a diff cushion because the replacement was £100 and I could get the primer and enough pu to do 4 of them for 35 quid. Pretty solid to the hand, made a nice replacement for the original rubber affair but think I would want harder on q suspension bush.

Alan B - 3/8/13 at 01:29 AM

Nice job and all that and I applaud the use of new technology in our hobby.

But.........why 3D print a part that could be made in 10 minutes on the lathe and with a superior finish??

Unless, you don't have access to lathe I suppose....

Don't get me wrong I love 3D printing.....but for appropriate applications.

Just IMO

b14wrc - 3/8/13 at 07:37 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the info about the diff mount.

I don't have a lathe no, and trying to get them made at work was hard as the machine shop are always very busy.

So it was a lot easier for me to just ask a lad I know to print my design. I actually think the lines left by the printer enhance my final casting.

Rob