Board logo

Convert MGF uprights to mini PCD
bozla - 2/9/13 at 05:56 PM

I'm wondering if any knows if this is possible by swapping the mgf drive flange for the mini one? It would be a good way to change the PCD if possible.

liam.mccaffrey - 2/9/13 at 08:24 PM

I'm about to try to convert mgtf to mgzr by machining the mgzr hub to fit the mgtf rear bearing. Ill be going from 4X95.25 TO 4X100

iank - 2/9/13 at 08:25 PM

Doubt the CV's have the same spline. You could get the MGF ones drilled out to the 4" PCD pretty cheaply by an engineering company.

bozla - 2/9/13 at 09:05 PM

Thanks for the answer Iank. Might be a bit Triggers broom but maybe I can change to the old metro CV and drive flange? Sorry if this is a bit Lazy of me, but does anyone know if I can use the same bearing?

I have a feeling that rover 100 / mgf are the same but old metro/mini is not.

[Edited on 2/9/13 by bozla]

Edit: Actually, drilling sounds much more simple!

[Edited on 2/9/13 by bozla]

britishtrident - 2/9/13 at 09:35 PM

ISTR the A series Metro originally used the same 4.5" PCD as the Allegro and Maxi (ie same as the old 1960s 1100/1300 and MGB )

andyps - 2/9/13 at 10:56 PM

For the bearing I seem to remember that the Rover 100 used the same front wheel bearing as the Maestro/Montego ended up with, and the MGF had Rover 100 front uprights all round, therefore the bearings should be the same. I think the uprights changed on the Metro when it changed from the A series to the K series engine so some Metro and all Rover 100s would have those. The rear wheel bearings on the Metro/100 were always the same basic dimensions as the Mini, although they did move from having a separate spacer to extended inner so they didn't need a spacer.

All this is from memory of working at Timken who were the bearing manufacturer and it is almost 15 years since I left so my memory may be fuddled!

Bare - 3/9/13 at 02:05 AM

do you Really? want to use the 'best' of British Leyland in anything you will trust your Ass skin to?
I Seriously doubt that :-) Unless Frugality has misplaced common sense
Even lowly VW bits are another league in quality.. avail yourself of them.

[Edited on 3/9/13 by Bare]

rdodger - 3/9/13 at 08:09 AM

Surely it would be easier/cheaper to change the PCD by having the re-drilled and welded up?

bozla - 3/9/13 at 06:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bare
do you Really? want to use the 'best' of British Leyland in anything you will trust your Ass skin to?

It happens to be highly suitable for me as I can use metro / mgf / MG metro lower ball joints to change the KPI and caster.
The steering arms can also be changed between models to change ackerman and steering ratio, and also the steering arms can be unbolted and swapped around so I can move the steering rack to the front out of the way of my feet.
They are also cheap, have been around for donkey's years with no known serious issues (as far as I'm aware!), and Mr Staniforth has described exactly how to modify them in his book 'high speed low cost.'
Perfect except for the stupid PCD...

DIY Si - 4/9/13 at 07:11 AM

If there's enough meat on the flange, just get them re-drilled 90 45 degrees round. Got to be the easiest way I'd suspect.

MikeRJ - 4/9/13 at 11:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Bare

Well done. Yet another stupid comment, based only on ignorance.

bozla - 4/9/13 at 05:58 PM

Thanks all for your input. It's been very useful and informative.