Board logo

Brake light switch
RoadsterDave62 - 24/7/16 at 07:58 AM

Hi

My Haynes roadster build is at the stage of piping up the brakes, I am using a Ford Fiesta master cylinder which gives me a spare outlet on the secondary side.

My question is, is there any reason why I could not use that for the brake light switch?

As always, thanks in advance.

Dave

rodgling - 24/7/16 at 08:50 AM

No reason why not. I use a Tilton brake master cylinder which has a spare outlet, I've got a pressure sensor in there which works fine.

CosKev3 - 24/7/16 at 10:10 AM

I've converted mine from a pressure switch to an electric switch operated off the pedal due to the pressure switch not putting the lights on when you brake lightly.
I saw this as quite a risk in our small cars as on the road even braking lightly pulls these light cars up pretty quickly,and I didn't fancy some cunt in a Chelsea tractor rear ending me!
I would recommend fitting an electric switch tbh.

Toprivetguns - 24/7/16 at 10:43 AM

I second this approach.

quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
I've converted mine from a pressure switch to an electric switch operated off the pedal due to the pressure switch not putting the lights on when you brake lightly.
I saw this as quite a risk in our small cars as on the road even braking lightly pulls these light cars up pretty quickly,and I didn't fancy some puss in a Chelsea tractor rear ending me!
I would recommend fitting an electric switch tbh.

Mark100 - 31/7/16 at 10:46 PM

any particular switch and do you have picks of how its mounted thanks

CosKev3 - 1/8/16 at 09:04 AM

I've used a classic mini switch,welded a small tab onto the pedal to operate it.

The bracket is sitting on the floor and bolted down under the pedal retaining bolt.

Description
Description