Board logo

Current tyre of choice for Road and occasional track?
flanders - 17/1/18 at 10:37 AM

Having change my wheel size i need to buy new tyres to suit.

80% road 20% track, 205/50/15

I need a tyre which can deal with occasional rain use as we quite often get caught in summer downpours whilst out and about on road trips. Im also planning on doing a few track days as a novice this year.

I currently use Yoko AD08R (wet grip B £340)which deal with rain and standing water well but i find difficulty to get heat into them.

other options im thinking are-

Toyo R888R GG - (wet grip rating E £390) ive heard they are better in the rain than their predecessor and well proven on dry track/fast road

Toyo R1-R - (wet grip rating C £352) from what ive read these are similar compound to the R888 but with more tread pattern for road use

Nankang NS-2R - (wet grip B £326) ive heard these mentioned but i dont know much about them.

online Reviews and ratings are all fine but some real world feedback on these tyres used on a 7 for primarily road use would be much appreciated.

matt5964 - 17/1/18 at 12:37 PM

Afternoon Flanders

We run R1R (195/50/15 f and 205/50/15 r) on the road they are good in all conditions and we have been caught short in full on down pours, you only reall notice the lack of outright grip when really pushing on in road conditions (which is only in extremely limited times as the law will not allow any more &#129296

On track however we’re now finding as we get more used to driving and push on they overheat very quickly and you get the feeling that you are driving on bubblegum both at the front and back end
The wear rate is very good. We have done apps 6 track days and road miles for a year on the current set and they have plenty of life left in them. This is the second set due to wheel change and selling old wheels with original set still on them.

Depending on what track and ambient temp this can be as little as 3-4 laps in.

I have just ordered R888Rs (looking at you price prob from the same place &#128556 they have arrived this morning and we will use them for all occasions apart from wet track.

Have got 6 track days booked up for this year so far.

overdriver - 17/1/18 at 01:09 PM

205/50/15 R1-Rs, which are likely to be my choice come Spring (road only), are £62.93 per corner as per Black Circles, i.e. £251.72 for 4 or £314.65 for 5. This is a fully fitted all-in price. I haven't used Black Circles before but I find that local tyre fitters tend to try and match the price.

Michael.

pekwah1 - 17/1/18 at 01:56 PM

i'm running the new R888R, albeit on 13" wheels.
Very good so far, haven't done a track yet but superb handling, have also driven in the wet and rain with these and seem to hold up much better than the old R888.

@matt5964 - what track days have you got booked? I'm very close to booking Bedford for the near future if that's on your radar?

flanders - 17/1/18 at 03:46 PM

Thanks lads.

Id like the r888r for sure, they even do a 225/50 size, im just not convinced they could hold up in occasional wet (standing water) conditions. Last year i had to drive 40 miles home in proper torrential rain in the middle of summer

R1R may be the middle ground

Ideally 2 sets of wheels and tyres is the answer, one for track and one set for road/wet track but its not really practical for me.

[Edited on 17/1/18 by flanders]

ian locostzx9rc2 - 17/1/18 at 04:37 PM

I had Nankang ns2r on my striker in 120 soft compound and was really impressed by there grip dry and wet a cooler conditions on road and track I did around 400 miles on the road and about 600 miles on track and they where less than half worn when I sold the car car was 500kg and around 140bhp hope that helps

Matt21 - 17/1/18 at 07:59 PM

R888R

You're not going to be driving silly in the rain so you only really need something that will cope.
In the dry they're perfect for road or track which is where it really matters

I've used the R1R previously and found them average on the road and very poor on track. After a few laps they overheat and become useless.

I'd like to try the AD08R myself, with regards to getting heat in them, do you mean on the road or track?
On the road it'll be difficult to heat any tyre, on track I'd have thought they would be fine? the lotus boys seem to rave over them!

I also hear the Nankang AR1 is good... but for a similar price to the R888R I'd rather stick with that.

matt5964 - 17/1/18 at 08:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
i'm running the new R888R, albeit on 13" wheels.
Very good so far, haven't done a track yet but superb handling, have also driven in the wet and rain with these and seem to hold up much better than the old R888.

@matt5964 - what track days have you got booked? I'm very close to booking Bedford for the near future if that's on your radar?

We have Donny, rocking ham,snetterton booked up two days of each

Will do Bedford but not booked up yet

Christof - 18/1/18 at 07:52 AM

i’ll be at snetterton on 19th feb and evening 27th march
bedford is slightly closer but noise limits are quite low so want to see where i stand first

907 - 18/1/18 at 09:03 AM

I like RainSports.

flanders - 18/1/18 at 01:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matt21
R888R

You're not going to be driving silly in the rain so you only really need something that will cope.
In the dry they're perfect for road or track which is where it really matters

I've used the R1R previously and found them average on the road and very poor on track. After a few laps they overheat and become useless.

I'd like to try the AD08R myself, with regards to getting heat in them, do you mean on the road or track?
On the road it'll be difficult to heat any tyre, on track I'd have thought they would be fine? the lotus boys seem to rave over them!

I also hear the Nankang AR1 is good... but for a similar price to the R888R I'd rather stick with that.

encouraging on the r888r matt thanks. you're absoultley right, in the rain/wet its usually slow and steady, its those unexpected puddles/standing water/ unusual Fords across the road that that can instantly aquaplane a tyre that concern me most.

i used to run yoko A048 a couple of years ago and miss the confidence they gave me in the dry, i could get plenty of heat in them on some of the roads we use

Christof - 18/1/18 at 02:24 PM

i think i have the yoko a048
will they melt on track?