Board logo

Questions regarding bolt-on hubs
mi2jaca - 11/6/19 at 06:38 AM

I am looking into building my own locost(ish) running gear and plan on using bolt on hubs from an Vauxhall Astra (VKBA 5311) and making custom uprights.

I have been reading up on the forum, particularly this discussion regarding “New Locost front end design” (http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=34017) but I am not getting any further.

So my basic questions are:

• Has this been done before?
• Any threads/links for more info?
• Is it possible to use the same hubs on all four corners of the car? In the front without CV joints. The bearing assemblies are gen 3 so they should be self-supporting?

Cheers,

//Carl

adithorp - 11/6/19 at 01:20 PM

Yes they'll work fine on front without CVs in them. Plenty of tintops have gen3 bearings that way on the rear. GBS are doing that on their kits now and I think AB Performance are as well.

[Edited on 11/6/19 by adithorp]

ettore bugatti - 11/6/19 at 09:24 PM

TVR used it too on the Cerbera onwards and actually Lotus used GM bolt-on bearings on the S2 Elises, IRC they just used an M12 bolt to replace the drive shaft.

Camber Dave - 12/6/19 at 07:39 AM

What Etore said
"IRC they just used an M12 bolt to replace the drive shaft."
Later Lotus upgraded M12 to an M16 with thick profiled washers.

mi2jaca - 12/6/19 at 08:42 AM

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated!

I could use a bolt like suggested, just to be on the safe side, but it should not really be needed should it?

adithorp - 12/6/19 at 09:38 AM

No, gen3 type bearings don't need a bolt through them. GM and others are using them that was.

[Edited on 12/6/19 by adithorp]

pigeondave - 12/6/19 at 06:34 PM

I think it was Saab hubs that had the same PCD as ford wheels and weren't massively heavy.

Although I heard that you might need to machine the centres down to fit ford wheels.

If someone knows of a bolt on hub with a sensor built in (which has a ford pcd) please let me know.

Im talking 4 stud here.