Board logo

Diy handbrake setup replace shot stock on mk2 polo
Eviljohn - 2/4/20 at 06:43 PM

Hi peoples. Hope you're all safe and well.
Hoping to get some guidance on replacing the handbrake setup on my mk2 polo. It's an early polo with a pulley compensator. Issue started with previous owner fitting incorrect fuel tank, meant anchor point had to be moved. Wasn't attached properly so ended up snapping off and rolling across my drive. Was refitted but i don't trust it. Mostly as it currently sits at around a 45 degree angle and looks like it could snap again at any point.
Can anyone point me in the direction of something simple and easy to maintain please?
Thanks for stopping by and for any guidance you may be able to give.

snapper - 2/4/20 at 09:58 PM

This is one of those problems that needs to be seen to be resolved as it’s probably as much about what is around the mechanism as the mechanism itself.
Would be easy to pontificate about other solutions but it’s a realy specific problem to you car.
You could start with a diagram but if any Locost members are nearby or kit car clubs I would consider talking to them.
Caveat we are in lockdown so photos videos diagrams would help

Eviljohn - 3/4/20 at 07:30 AM

That makes sense. I took a pic the other day but it isn't really great. I'll try and get some better ones and then figure out how to post them.
Thanks for getting back to me.

Mr Whippy - 3/4/20 at 07:35 AM

Take a few photos

Put some blocks behind the wheels and leave it in first with the steering wheel on full lock. 45 degs... do you live on a mountain?!

jps - 3/4/20 at 10:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy45 degs... do you live on a mountain?!

my guess is he means the handbrake is pulled up to 45 degrees, not he has a 1 in 1 driveway!

Mr Whippy - 3/4/20 at 10:38 AM

ah

Eviljohn - 3/4/20 at 12:44 PM

I have a driveway that is sloped but polo normally sits on a flat parking space just off the driveway. I do visit people that live on inclines.
The anchor bolt for the handbrake cable underneath the car should be purpendicular to the car but it isn't. It's been pulled to an angle of around 45 degrees.
I'm just looking for options at this point as i will be changing it out.
How do i go about posting a pic? Do i need to upload it somewhere else and then leave a link?

[Edited on 3/4/20 by Eviljohn]

jps - 3/4/20 at 02:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eviljohn
How do i go about posting a pic? Do i need to upload it somewhere else and then leave a link?
[Edited on 3/4/20 by Eviljohn]

Yes - the photo gallery on here hasn't been working for a good while. Post it elsewhere and either embed it
(you can still embed an image if hosted elsewhere) - or just link to wherever it is...

Mr Whippy - 3/4/20 at 04:49 PM

Actually the photo gallery is working just fine, just don't go crazy. Open your pics on windows paint to check the are not too big.

Upload your pictures, the click on a picture to get a link address

Eviljohn - 6/4/20 at 09:52 PM

Thank you for that. Need to fix coolant leak but will be back for handbrake guidance once i have plugged my collander on wheels!