Board logo

M16 calipers, where from?
MikeR - 11/4/20 at 07:06 PM

Where is a good place to get M16 calipers from? I'm expecting to have to send the old ones back, any suggestions on a courier (never sent anything that heavy).

Also, they do a surcharge of you don't send calipers in, being cheeky if I sent 4 calipers instead of two, ever heard of getting extra money for the additional calipers?

(I seem to have a small collection of old calipers)

melly-g - 11/4/20 at 10:16 PM

I got mine from rally design at stoneleigh.
I know they're not real M16 but they work fine!
Didn't have to send the old calipers back and no surcharge either.

big_wasa - 12/4/20 at 06:37 AM

Some where like Big Red.

A lot of places will just sell new replicas as it’s cheaper to make a replica than the labour to rebuild.

steve m - 12/4/20 at 07:42 AM

Do you not fancy rebuilding them your self, its a very straightforward process

As long as the bores are not rusty (mine were not)
I rebuilt my 4 pot calipers, fresh paint, new pipes new pistons, and seals for around £120

It transformed the braking incredibly, as it proved I had a lazy caliper, lhs and a partially seized one on the rhs

My car always pulled to the right very slightly, but never did afterwards

steve

Deckman001 - 12/4/20 at 11:28 AM

I second Steve's comments, I refurbished mine after buying the locost back after ten years stood still, both calipers were partially seized, so I bought the rebuild kits off ebay and a couple of days after the kits arrived I was then bleeding the refitted calipers, what a difference, the brakes actually worked after that. It was also very satisfying , knowing that you had done that.

Jason

MikeR - 12/4/20 at 11:59 AM

I appreciate I could rebuild but for two things
1) I want to be certain brakes work - if they fail I'm really stuffed
2) I'm not time rich, I've got a little time now so I want to make as much progress as I can
3) every caliper I've got is at least 10 of not 20 years since used. I doubt any will have decent bores.

(Yeah, I can't count)

So what is the going price? Rally design are 45 quid ex vat and postage which seam reasonableish