Board logo

track rod end help
ian.stewart - 20/5/20 at 08:06 PM

In my quest to build a better mousetrap, I have come across a problem with the steering rack fitment..... or the track rod ends to be precise, I'm using a minor rack that has some beefy 5/8" track arms, with a 5/8 UNF thread, my problem is now, that I need to fit it all together..... it dosent, the Track Rod end tapers are too big for my steering arms so I now need to find a pair of TREs that are the right 5/8 thread and the right taper.... I'm not keen on having bespoke parts on consumables, what I need is below, can anybody help with that I need or is there a source that I can use to find what I need.

[Edited on 20/5/20 by ian.stewart]

gremlin1234 - 20/5/20 at 08:42 PM

I suspect maybe triumph spitfire/ herald/ vitesse, but unsure of the rack thread, if it needed to be bigger then tr6 would be a good candidate. will look for a parts manual tomorrow

rusty nuts - 21/5/20 at 05:21 AM

Don’t think the Triumph items would be any good, it was a common mod to fit Triumph TREs to classic Mini’s that had negative camber lower arms fitted due to the Triumph items being longer, Pretty certain classic Mini was never 5/8” UNF

macc man - 21/5/20 at 06:42 PM

Would it be possible to machine a couple of adaptors to go from 1/2" to 5/8" alternatively use rose joint track rod ends.