What the best way to remove the rust!

Cant do that electro thingy.

Cant get them shot blasted.

Any ideas would be helpfull.

Cheers all

matt

flak monkey - 21/1/07 at 09:45 PM

Two words.... THE TOOL!

4.5" angle grinder with a wire cup wheel. Make sure you wear wrap around goggles and a long sleeved overall though!

I did most of mine like that.

David

stevec - 21/1/07 at 09:51 PM

For my uprights I used an old file sharpened at the end to scrape the worst of then a wire wheel on a drill and then the old black hammerite.
Steve.

ayoungman - 21/1/07 at 10:10 PM

machine mart
the tool !

Confused but excited. - 21/1/07 at 11:13 PM

AND LONG WELDERS GAUNTLETS!

ayoungman - 21/1/07 at 11:35 PM

a packet of these could come in handy too. Rescued attachment images.jpg
Rescued attachment images.jpg

RazMan - 22/1/07 at 12:02 AM

A flap wheel on an angry grinder did most of my rust removal - less blood loss than 'the tool' The fiddly bits I finished of with a dremel and a variety of wire brushes.

Gunner1 - 22/1/07 at 05:07 AM

I have found by far, the best rust removal solution is six parts water to one part black strap molases (the kind you get at our local horse feed market.
I take a 45 gal rubbermaid tub and make up the solution. It lasts for months (as long as you scrape the mould off the top) and it works fantastic. It will not attack paint or grease, so you take car of that first, then into the molasses for a week or so and the parts come out perfect! Just hose them off. Strange, but honest, it really works. And when you are done, just heave the mixture (basically sugar and iron oxide) onto your lawn with no ill effect!

Doug68 - 22/1/07 at 05:41 AM

Now I thought Gunner1 just had to be taking the Micky, but a quick Google revealed:

http://www.wr6wr.com/newSite/articles/columns/wp0906/wp0906.html

Which shows its true!

I guess when its done as a rust remover, instead of throwing it on the lawn some yeast could be added to make Ye Olde Car Part Beer?

Bluemoon - 22/1/07 at 09:04 AM

Yep it's true Chelation appratently...

RazMan - 22/1/07 at 09:43 AM

Wow, and I thought that electrolysis was a locost option - that doesn't even use electricity !
Top Tip Gunner

[Edited on 22-1-07 by RazMan]

Johnmor - 22/1/07 at 11:36 AM

More of this type of post please,
this is what locost is all about.

The cows in the field in front of my house are going hungry this winter!!!

coozer - 23/1/07 at 10:01 PM

This is the way forward...

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=9158

Cleaned my stuff up in a few days while I sat watching the telly or overnight sleeping.. what more can you ask for??