Board logo

Getting rid of mould spots
Mr Whippy - 18/7/13 at 06:27 AM

Hi

Bit of a pest this, had a tin top sitting unused for a few months over the winter and there are small blue mould spots on the front seats annoying as the interiors is otherwise really nice and quite light coloured fabric

Is there a product that removes this staining?

Thanks

britishtrident - 18/7/13 at 06:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Hi

Bit of a pest this, had a tin top sitting unused for a few months over the winter and there are small blue mould spots on the front seats annoying as the interiors is otherwise really nice and quite light coloured fabric

Is there a product that removes this staining?

Thanks

We at a similar situation with a car bought at auction that had been sitting in a main dealers back yard for a year.
What you have to do is change the PH slightly so it it either too acid or too alkaline for the mould to survive.

First thing to do is vacuum the area very thoroughly this will remove most of the visible mould.
You should then try a gentle dab with a dilute solution of either Baking Soda (nb not washing soda) or "gentle bleach" stain remover washing booster (Poundland) on an area that is out of site mould, ---- if no signs of damage to the colour after a few hours us treat the visible area.

You could also use white Vinegar but it smells a bit.

loggyboy - 18/7/13 at 07:33 AM

As said, brush and hoover the worst off, then maybe some 1001 cleaner, ive always used that on car interiors.

[Edited on 18-7-13 by loggyboy]

westf27 - 18/7/13 at 08:12 AM

Dettox spray.Used on fabric and the mould disappeared completely.

Mr Whippy - 18/7/13 at 12:08 PM

Thanks guys

The dettox thing might be my first go as I'm reluctant to try bleach or acid just now

DarrenW - 18/7/13 at 04:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Thanks guys

The dettox thing might be my first go as I'm reluctant to try bleach or acid just now

Nobody really mentioned acid as such. Bicarbonate of Soda (the main ingredient of baking powder) should be in everyones cleaning cupboard. Very cheap and very versatile. Small amount dabbed on should work a treat. might even work dry. As with all stuff, just try a hidden area first as a test.

Mr Whippy - 18/7/13 at 04:44 PM

well I have found some baking soda in the cupboard so will give that a go just now

ta

russbost - 18/7/13 at 05:22 PM

I had exactly the same problem & my missus googled it & came up with use vinegar - it worked quite well, but boy does it make the car stink for a week or 2!!!

DarrenW - 18/7/13 at 05:39 PM

Its worth googling Bicarb and its potential uses. Its kind of one of those age old type products that people have forgotten about in the haze of the many marketed and much more expensive products that do the same thing.