Board logo

Exposed gearbox?
Slimy38 - 1/2/15 at 07:27 PM

Just having a nosey at Guy Martins Volvo, and I happened to notice something peculiar about the interior;

I can't tell whether I like the idea of an exposed gearbox? I assume it's covered underneath otherwise the next thing to be seen would be the ground rushing by underneath.

I doubt I could do that with my MX5 box without some major cosmetic work!

hkp57 - 1/2/15 at 07:43 PM

Nice gimmick in a show car but not any good if you want to drive it in the real world I think

sdh2903 - 1/2/15 at 07:43 PM

I like it.

sdh2903 - 1/2/15 at 07:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hkp57
Nice gimmick in a show car but not any good if you want to drive it in the real world I think

Can't see an issue if you have a full floor?

hkp57 - 1/2/15 at 07:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
quote:
Originally posted by hkp57

Can't see an issue if you have a full floor?

I was thinking of the weeping oil seals, crap of the clutch etc

joneh - 1/2/15 at 08:12 PM

I guess there must be some sort of bulk head seal or all sorts of crap and fumes would come in through the engine bay.

bi22le - 1/2/15 at 08:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joneh
I guess there must be some sort of bulk head seal or all sorts of crap and fumes would come in through the engine bay.

Unless it's justa show car

Volvorsport - 1/2/15 at 08:19 PM

clear lexan actually ...... as is the rear suspension....

currently off the road , since he stripped the cam belt and bent all the valves

blakep82 - 1/2/15 at 08:21 PM

By the flange round the tunnel tubes, I'm guessing its got some very clean polycarbonate or something covering it?

Slimy38 - 1/2/15 at 09:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
clear lexan actually ...... as is the rear suspension....

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
By the flange round the tunnel tubes, I'm guessing its got some very clean polycarbonate or something covering it?

Ah yes I see it now, so it is an enclosed tunnel but it's just clear. Of course I can imagine it not staying clear very long!

Smoking Frog - 1/2/15 at 09:53 PM

I like it the idea, matches the column. Although the clear panels won't look so good when scratched. Would like cool on a seven with the gearbox and prop on display, but would not like seeing the prop spinning right next to me. Think I'll pass.

threadbare wallet - 3/2/15 at 06:35 AM

Your probs find the lexans stronger than alloy sheet so dont worry about it coming in,and the anti scratch version i think its called margard is very good.