Board logo

Replacing with carbon panels
tankplanker - 20/4/17 at 09:07 AM

On my Mk Indy R I want to replace as much of the interior panels as possible with carbon fibre panels. Which ones can I replace without affecting structural integrity? Are there any suppliers who have ready to fit panels for the interior? I'm particularly interested in replacing the center tunnel as I want to move some of the switches mounted on the center tunnel to the dashboard.

Mr Whippy - 20/4/17 at 11:54 AM

it might not be a popular opinion but I'm wary of bare true carbon panels in the interior as in a crash when they do snap the ends of the breaks are very sharp and jagged, GRP is much the same though not quite as bad. The tunnel should be fine though since if that was cracked you'd be dead anyway...

personally a fully trimmed interior, carpeted, vinyl or leather is always so much more appealing and pleasant to live with than just bare panels but if you like that look...

Charlie C - 20/4/17 at 01:01 PM

I'm currently changing the tunnel panels from ali to 2.5mm ABS plastic it very light and easy to cut.

Barkalarr - 20/4/17 at 09:38 PM

Have you seen this ?
http://www.mksportscars.com/locost-mk-indy-tunnel-top-carbon-fibre.html

tankplanker - 21/4/17 at 10:36 AM

Yeah, I was worried that it said not suitable for the R or RR? Does that mean it needs trimming or something else?

Charlie_Zetec - 21/4/17 at 10:47 AM

Potentially interested in this as well, but does anyone know the dimensions? Rather not purchase to find it doesn't fit!

Adam - 21/4/17 at 01:35 PM

I have used these in the past for some carbon bits for my triabusa..... they mainly deal with westfield style cars. Good product and great honest service.

http://www.carbon-nv.co.uk/products.html

might be worth a shout.

Cheers

Ads

[Edited on 21/4/17 by Adam]

tankplanker - 21/4/17 at 02:54 PM

That looks great, I think I'm going to have to get my tape measure out!

Barkalarr - 21/4/17 at 06:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tankplanker
Yeah, I was worried that it said not suitable for the R or RR? Does that mean it needs trimming or something else?

The tunnel top is for the Indy (outboard shocks). The tunnel top of the Indy R is a different size AFAIK

SPYDER - 21/4/17 at 08:06 PM

Here's my carbon tunnel...

We acquired a sheet of 1mm thick pre-preg carbon and cut the panels to suit.

rm0rgan - 24/4/17 at 05:44 AM

My dash, tunnel, cycle wings, back wings and aeroscreen are all carbon...bits from Kitcarsdirect

MK Indy Dash
MK Indy Dash

ollycutts1982 - 17/7/17 at 09:03 AM

Might have to look at upgrading to Carbon.