Board logo

Dying (sp?) Leather?!
liam.mccaffrey - 5/7/18 at 04:15 PM

I want to fit some newer volvo 960 leather seats in my volvo 240. Has anyone had any sucess dying grey leather to black?? Is it feasable?

Any advice greatfully recieved.

jps - 5/7/18 at 04:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffreyDying (sp?)

Indeed, isn't English great... Despite looking strange it's "dyeing"...

Only experience I have is of using the wrong colour shoe polish... But a quick Google suggests it's a common enough thing to do. This on PH mentions a couple of products (and a good analogy of "would you paint the exterior yourself?) https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=48&t=482197

Angel Acevedo - 5/7/18 at 08:02 PM

In my experience with shoes....
There will be some decoloring of the new color regardless of number of applications...
There will be color transfer to whatever rubs on it..
With those two in mind, I wouldnīt want to use it on seats...
Door cards and steering wheel maybe...
HTH.
AA

UncleFista - 5/7/18 at 08:13 PM

Car interior leather "dye" is really a paint, it works really well. Covers easily well enough to change from one colour to another, doesn't transfer onto clothes etc.
Check youtube for videos

nick205 - 6/7/18 at 09:34 AM

Never dyed leather myslef, but...

Did ovloV 960's only come with grey leather seats (or do you already have the seats)?

If they came with black leather seats can you not get hold of a set of black ones?

Angel Acevedo - 6/7/18 at 04:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
Car interior leather "dye" is really a paint, it works really well. Covers easily well enough to change from one colour to another, doesn't transfer onto clothes etc.
Check youtube for videos

UncleFista.
Paint may look good for a while, but I have already seen examples of it flaking over time.
So itīs fading against flaking...

Liam.
Selling your grey seats and buying black ones may be the way to go...

Here in Mexico Black leather seats are not that popular īcause they heat up pretty badly...