Board logo

Dibond for interior panels
felix_kentish - 9/2/20 at 04:39 PM

I'm looking to order some material to do my internal panels on an MK Indy. I was originally looking at some Ali sheet but come across Dibond. Looks to be light, stiff and if comes prepainted.
Is there any reason I shouldn't use this for the interior back panel, tunnel side panels, tunnel top and interior side panels?

Thanks

Slimy38 - 9/2/20 at 04:53 PM

If it's the stuff I've seen, it doesn't take much to damage or pierce the surface, or even fold up. For example, if you used your transmission tunnel as a hand rest to get into the car, there is a possibility your hand could go through. You could brace it, but then it would be harder work than just regular metal panels.

ken555 - 9/2/20 at 10:37 PM

I've used it in the form of old road signs.

Made the switch panel, dash, and passenger storage tray.

In the rear I made the boot floor and sides.

Nothing structural, but couldn't see why not. If you use a router and cut a "V" in it, you can fold it, then PU the join.

theduck - 10/2/20 at 04:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
If it's the stuff I've seen, it doesn't take much to damage or pierce the surface, or even fold up. For example, if you used your transmission tunnel as a hand rest to get into the car, there is a possibility your hand could go through. You could brace it, but then it would be harder work than just regular metal panels.

Dibond is two layers of ali with a resin/conmposite layer in between. Will be much stronger than any thickness ali sheet that would normally be used in those positions.

felix_kentish - 10/2/20 at 06:38 PM

Cheers for the responses guys.
It is a composite with 0.3mm aluminium each side and 2.4mm polyethylene core. I'd have thought it'd be quite strong but 0.3mm aluminium is pretty thin.
The comment above about putting your hand through it quite concerning. Maybe I should stick to some 1.2mm Ali panel.

theduck - 11/2/20 at 10:39 AM

I would also expect dibond to be far stronger than 1.2 ali sheet.

MagicalTrevor - 11/2/20 at 02:44 PM

DiBond is stiffer and stronger than I expected but it's also heavier than composites. I'm not sure I'd use it for internal panels for the weight reason but otherwise it ought to be ok.

I'm personally using carbon/grp sheet.

skippad - 13/2/20 at 09:12 AM

I use Diabond (which is an aluminium composite) sheets in my sign business all the time,
I first used the material in kit car building in 2002 for interior panels behind seats, dashboard etc as an alternative to ali sheets
easy to cut and paint, i've supplied quite a lot to my car building friends.
In fact ive got an abundance of usable offcuts available if anyone need some (without buying a full sheet)

felix_kentish - 13/2/20 at 09:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by skippad
I use Diabond (which is an aluminium composite) sheets in my sign business all the time,
I first used the material in kit car building in 2002 for interior panels behind seats, dashboard etc as an alternative to ali sheets
easy to cut and paint, i've supplied quite a lot to my car building friends.
In fact ive got an abundance of usable offcuts available if anyone need some (without buying a full sheet)

That sounds promising. Ill get in touch regarding the offcuts.
Thanks