Board logo

For Sale – Tax Free 1972 - Restored Beatle rolling chassis with engine & Complete with its Log Book
Mr Whippy - 3/6/12 at 07:07 PM

This chassis is in Aberdeen Scotland, collection only as I ain’t posting this!

For sale is this rolling chassis which I repaired and restored last year, it is a 1200cc 1972 tax free one.

All welding has been done, all fully seam MIG welded. All the main ball joints have been changed and the beam lowered a couple of inches, new seals have been fitted to the trailing arms. It has had new pan halves fitted and the frame head & beam are in perfect condition. Basically the chassis is ready to be fitted to a bodyshell. I literally spent months of work on this and did around 6 meters of welding, so this will be saving yourself heaps of hassle. I did this chassis for myself to put a beach buggy body on but a change of plans and other projects means it is now not required and taking up valuable garage space.

It has been painted with many coats of smoothrite, the underside is fantastic, no underseal anywhere, just nice new cream paint. The engine is complete and runs well with no smoke, has a new exhaust and new quality heat exchangers and stainless tailpipes, all parts use on this chassis were from VW Heritage. It even comes with new black and white metal number plates. It has a new brake master cylinder fitted and new front wheel bearings.

So get off to a good start or swap it over from your rusty one and have a tax fee car (how many years road tax would pay for this chassis …)

Not fitted yet but supplied are all new brake shoes and slave cylinders.

Looking for around £600 for it as it is, a bargain really if you add up all cost of the parts and time spent. The registration documents have it down as a green 1600 as I was going to put my 1600 in but never got round to it. The chassis number matches the documents and is clearly visible on the backbone.

Ready to roll on to a trailer, it’s quite light so ok with a single axle trailer

Note: - you’ll notice that it is fitted with wolfrace alloys on the front these are not included in the price (I lost the original front wheels during a clear out!) and the new owner must either bring a couple of spare wheels or I’ll take them off and place the front axle in wood. I have a full set of these alloys with huge offroad tyres on the back ones, if your interested in these let me know

Cash on collection and buyer pick up only. The log book must be signed over properly by the new owner.

Let me know if you’re interested, thanks

Not advertised for selling abroad

T66 - 3/6/12 at 07:28 PM

That just needs one of these dropped on it...

Very clean, good luck with the sale.

Steve Hignett - 3/6/12 at 09:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by T66
That just needs one of these dropped on it...

Very clean, good luck with the sale.

Might also need a couple inches chopping out of it too then!

(not 100% sure but the Chesil (et al) kits, used to ask for 2 or 4 inches cutting out of the chassis)

Good idea though, it's the first thing I thought too, as I've always wanted to build one for my wife, but just can't afford a £20k toy thats dog slow....

Volvorsport - 4/6/12 at 10:01 AM

looks good , shame its not a 1303 , i might have been interested.

Mr Whippy - 9/6/12 at 08:12 PM

sold and away already

loggyboy - 9/6/12 at 08:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Might also need a couple inches chopping out of it too then!

(not 100% sure but the Chesil (et al) kits, used to ask for 2 or 4 inches cutting out of the chassis)

I think its more like 10-11 inches!

[Edited on 9/6/12 by loggyboy]

morcus - 9/6/12 at 08:29 PM

I think it's chesil that do one for an uncut chassis as a 2+2 LWB 356 replica that looks pretty tasty, and you'd not need an IVA.

loggyboy - 9/6/12 at 08:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by morcus
I think it's chesil that do one for an uncut chassis as a 2+2 LWB 356 replica that looks pretty tasty, and you'd not need an IVA.

I think thats pilgrim (unless chesil do one too)