Board logo

Ford rear disk conversion
Daf - 25/4/15 at 08:08 PM

Evening all!

I've had some brackets laser cut to mount MX5 rear calipers to sierra rear hubs, these clear my 13inch wheels with plenty of space and use fiesta Mk1/2 221mm front disks.

I had these cut for myself but it was the same price for two for me or 28, so I got 28 made! I'm not looking to make any money really just seems a shame for them to sit on my garage floor when others could use them.

I wont lie - they're a b****r to fit as the caliper carrier bolts sit between the bracket and where it mounts to the sierra hub so you need to put disk and caliper on together, it's not a problem but you really need 3 hands! (Or two hands and a lot of swearing like I just did!)

You do have to grind a little away from the back of the caliper carrier, about 1mm or so, also I'm running the calipers upside down so that it's a better route for the handbrake cable - makes caliper bleeding more difficult. They will mount the right way round on the bracket if you want.

£10 per pair + P+P, I'll also be at Stonleigh (Sun) so save on the P+P if you want

[Edited on 25/4/15 by Daf]

[Edited on 25/4/15 by Daf]

[Edited on 26/4/15 by Daf]

Dick - 25/4/15 at 08:40 PM

Message sent

snapper - 26/4/15 at 07:09 AM

Put a set aside for me pls
I'll PM and we can work out postage
Ta

Rosco86 - 26/4/15 at 07:55 AM

So you still use the std sierra disc? Very interested, whats the weight difference between the sierra caliper and the mx5 caliper?

Daf - 26/4/15 at 08:10 AM

snapper - one set put aside with your name on

Rosco86 - I'm using Fiesta front disks, I dont know about the weight but I couldnt get the sierra set up to fit under my 13 inch minilites so I came up with this solution

se7ensport - 26/4/15 at 11:03 AM

Is this a disc to disc or drum to disc conversion? if it uses the drum hubs I'm potentially interested.

Daf - 26/4/15 at 11:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by se7ensport
Is this a disc to disc or drum to disc conversion? if it uses the drum hubs I'm potentially interested.

Mine was a drum set up before - you might need to have the hubs turned down to get the disk to fit over them though, I believe there is more than one kind of hub - I'm no Ford parts bin expert it's just what I read when doing the research for this

se7ensport - 26/4/15 at 07:34 PM

I'll take a pair, u2u me Paypal address and price to post.

Cheers
Alex

Dino - 29/4/15 at 10:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by se7ensport
I'll take a pair, u2u me Paypal address and price to post.

Cheers
Alex

Was the conversion easy?

Daf - 29/4/15 at 10:55 AM

It's a bolt on conversion, the only things you need to do are remove some metal from the back of the calliper - about 1 to 2mm. I did this with a flap wheel on the grinder but it would be better to do it with a miller.

Also from what I understand there are two types of ford hub - the fiesta disk will go onto one of them no problem the other needs to be turned down as the diameter is a bit big. other than that it all just bolts together

Cheers

Daf

Dino - 29/4/15 at 11:00 AM

Sounds simple enough and maybe something worth looking at in the darker months.

I gather U will be at Stoneleigh?
Hopefully we can meet-up and I can grab a pair.

Daf - 29/4/15 at 11:06 AM

Yep I'm there on the Sunday, I'll U2U you my phone number and you can give me a shout

mazie - 29/4/15 at 11:38 AM

Ill take a pair, wont be at stoneleigh even though i live 5 minutes away, unless you done mind me collecting from outside the park?

djtom - 29/4/15 at 12:31 PM

Yes please, I'll take a pair. Will need posting though, so I'll send a U2U to sort the details out.

Thanks
Tom

Daf - 29/4/15 at 12:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mazie
Ill take a pair, wont be at stoneleigh even though i live 5 minutes away, unless you done mind me collecting from outside the park?

Yep no worries, you can drive into the car park for free so I'll U2U you my number and you can give me a call - I can meet you in the car park sometime during the day

mazie - 29/4/15 at 03:18 PM

Thats Ace thanks chap. What day/days are you going?

cs3tcr - 29/4/15 at 05:30 PM

Daf,
A bit OT, but can you tell me the size and thread pitch of the caliper bracket bolts? I picked up a set of Miata brakes for my car, but didn't get the bolts to mount them.

Thanks,
Rod

Daf - 29/4/15 at 06:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cs3tcr
Daf,
A bit OT, but can you tell me the size and thread pitch of the caliper bracket bolts? I picked up a set of Miata brakes for my car, but didn't get the bolts to mount them.

Thanks,
Rod

No worries, they're M10x1.25

Cheers

Daf

plus2s - 30/4/15 at 02:19 PM

Hi will take a pair please. I will be at Stoneleigh on Sunday

Cheers, Paul

Daf - 30/4/15 at 05:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by plus2s
Hi will take a pair please. I will be at Stoneleigh on Sunday

Cheers, Paul

U2U sent

stevepj - 1/5/15 at 08:09 PM

I'll take a pair too please.
Will be at Stoneleigh all weekend.
Cheers

ChrisL - 13/11/15 at 10:12 PM

Have you got any pairs left? If so I'd like a pair...

Daf - 14/11/15 at 09:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisL
Have you got any pairs left? If so I'd like a pair...

Sorry they've all gone, the last few went on ebay a couple of weeks ago.

ChrisL - 15/11/15 at 07:55 AM

Shame, thanks for letting me know that they'd gone.

Daf - 15/11/15 at 12:12 PM

quote:
Shame, thanks for letting me know that they'd gone.

If we could get another 15 people together I would be more than happy to get another batch made up.

mazie - 15/11/15 at 01:18 PM

I have the pair I got from Daf, not using them now so your welcome to them. Also have a pair of mx5 calipers complete if interested.

ChrisL - 15/11/15 at 07:41 PM

Hi, yes, interested, let me know what you want for the adaptors and the callipers?
Cheers
Chris

ChrisL - 27/1/16 at 08:46 PM

Brake calipers are all refurbished, so almost ready for the build, one question how long do the mounting bolts need to be?

Edit: Sorry being thick, have measured 30mm

[Edited on 28/1/16 by ChrisL]

Daf - 29/1/16 at 08:45 AM

I guess you've answered your own question? If you're still stuck give me a shout I can go and measure my set up for you

daveb666 - 29/1/16 at 10:02 AM

Df, any chance you could send me the drawing for the bracket? My mate has a cnc so will knock me an individual set up for nowt.

Unless there are 14 people waiting in the wings that will join in ordering a set from you? :-)

DJT - 29/1/16 at 01:41 PM

Only just seen this. Very interesting. Much better idea than hunting down old Sierra parts.

I'd be interested if there is another batch in the offing. Or if not, the dimensions/design (if that's not too cheeky).

Thanks,

David.

ChrisL - 31/1/16 at 07:21 PM

What have people down for the handbrake cake, modified the sierra one or used an MX5 one?

Daf - 31/1/16 at 07:51 PM

I could get another batch made up if we got enough people together no problem.

For the handbrake cable I've used MX5 cables - for me they were pretty much exactly the right size, I've taken them to the sierra lever via an MGF cable balancer.

ChrisL - 1/2/16 at 09:53 PM

Cool, probably easier modifying the handbrake lever end then the brake caliper end...

Daf - 2/2/16 at 08:49 AM

quote:
Cool, probably easier modifying the handbrake lever end then the brake caliper end...

Is it a sierra handbrake lever you're using?

ChrisL - 2/2/16 at 07:12 PM

That's what I've got at the moment

ChrisL - 3/2/16 at 08:58 PM

Out of interest what inside diameter do your fiesta discs have? the ones I have are 130mm and the hubs are 140mm

[Edited on 4/2/16 by ChrisL]

F1SJL - 6/2/16 at 10:05 PM

Are these brackets still available?

Thanks

Steve

ChrisL - 7/2/16 at 08:50 PM

Bump

quote:
Out of interest what inside diameter do your fiesta discs have? the ones I have are 130mm and the hubs are 140mm

[Edited on 4/2/16 by ChrisL]

Daf - 8/2/16 at 11:30 AM

Sorry I missed all of this due to a leak in my bathroom - sorry for the delay in responding!

The fiesta front disks are MK1/2 but not XR2.

The rear hubs may need to be turned down to fit the disk over them, apparently there are two types from what I've read but I'm not an expert on this I'm afraid so can't be sure. It's a simple enough job for a local e

I have used a sierra handbrake lever, a short length of M6 threaded bar instead of the sierra bit and an MGF balancer. It all goes together with no problems and without modifications.

ChrisL - 8/2/16 at 12:17 PM

No worries Daf, hope you've sorted the leak, I could bore you with stories of the leaks in my house including the copper pipe mounted in cement one! but I'm sure you've got better thing to do..

So I've bought what I believe are fiesta mk1 front discs, and was expecting the internal diameter (where the hubs fit) to be around 134mm but they are 130mm. As the hubs are 140mm they'll need 10mm taking off the diameter, which seems a lot. It'll only leave 1-2mm of hub on the outside of the two inspection/access holes. So I wanted to check what size someone else's were, to see if: the discs I have are the right size and: if it's ok to reduce the hub down to 130mm

On the hand brake front I've bought an MX5 handbrake cable and think I it'll do. the existing sierra cables have been modified at the lever end, so I'll just have to make the same mod (and buy a second cable)

Cheers
Chris

Daf - 8/2/16 at 02:31 PM

The moral of the leak is don't buy showerwall stuff, it's made from MDF. MDF and showers don't mix well!

Anyway...!

The inspection holes on my hubs look like letter C now as apposed to holes, the hubs I have turned down beyond the outermost point of the inspection holes. I've been trying to find a photograph but can't find one - I'm sure I have one somewhere so I'll post it when I do.

Daf - 8/2/16 at 03:02 PM

You can see my rear hubs in this picture, really not the best picture but one is in the top right of the stuff and one is in the middle of the picture - you can just about work them out and how much they've been turned down. I'm sure I have better pictures somewhere!

[Edited on 8/2/16 by Daf]

ChrisL - 8/2/16 at 08:57 PM

Thanks Daf, that certainly answers the question!

ChrisL - 28/2/16 at 11:14 AM

I'm slowly moving forward, however need a sanity check. The n lining the plates up I can't seem to h
get the three hum bolts to line up. Pictures below show what I mean (and yes I know the adaptor plate bolts on to the outside, the picture with it sandwiched between the hub carrier and the suspension was just so I could make where the new hole should go)

Description
Description

and

Description
Description

So do I drill another hole as below (black dot) or am I missing something aka being thick?

Description
Description

djtom - 29/2/16 at 12:17 AM

try fitting it the other way up. I seem to remember that the sierra hub carriers don't have equidistantly spaced bolts. The distance between the bolts on each of the long sides of the "rectangle" that they form is different.

Daf - 29/2/16 at 06:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by djtom
try fitting it the other way up. I seem to remember that the sierra hub carriers don't have equidistantly spaced bolts. The distance between the bolts on each of the long sides of the "rectangle" that they form is different.

I think this may be the issue - looking at the pictures too it looks like you might be better off fitting the calliper underneath as the handbrake mechanism might need the same space as your damper.

I will measure my bolt spacing to confirm this evening, but you shouldn't need to drill any extra holes.

ChrisL - 1/3/16 at 08:54 AM

I'd tried it left and right but not upside down. I'll have another bash this weekend. I did try lining it up with the wrong holes so that the caliper would have sat at 12 o'clock which would have been perfect, apart from being to tight on the disk...

Cheers
Chris

ChrisL - 3/3/16 at 06:17 PM

Managed to get out to the garage and low and behold the plate fits, but it's upside down and positions the calliper right next to a large bit of the suspension, so it'll never fit there. Interestingly as my Tiger uses most of the back end from a sierra it looks like your hubs are upside down :-0 ! So I think I'm going to re-drill the plates with the brake calliper at 12 o'clock as that's the best position for them (unless anyones got some bright ideas?). At least I'm not going mad!

Few pic's for those that are interested:

Description
Description

and clearance (Clarence)

Description
Description

Cheers
Chris

djtom - 3/3/16 at 06:24 PM

Hubs upside down is not good news - the reason they only bolt up one way is because the bearing carriers are tapered and this gives the wheel negative camber. If they're upside down the geometry of the rear end could well be a little odd with positive camber!

Daf - 3/3/16 at 09:09 PM

quote:
Managed to get out to the garage and low and behold the plate fits, but it's upside down and positions the calliper right next to a large bit of the suspension, so it'll never fit there. Interestingly as my Tiger uses most of the back end from a sierra it looks like your hubs are upside down :-0 ! So I think I'm going to re-drill the plates with the brake calliper at 12 o'clock as that's the best position for them (unless anyones got some bright ideas?). At least I'm not going mad!

Few pic's for those that are interested:

Description
Description

and clearance (Clarence)

Description
Description

Cheers
Chris

How interesting, shame about that big lump of metal there - you'd have been able to get the calipers the right way up only for that. It's a pity you need to re-drill them though.

Daf - 3/3/16 at 09:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djtom
Hubs upside down is not good news - the reason they only bolt up one way is because the bearing carriers are tapered and this gives the wheel negative camber. If they're upside down the geometry of the rear end could well be a little odd with positive camber!

Are they all like this? I've just taken a rear wheel off and the brake disk is completely parallel to the upright that holds my bearing carrier, do you know how much camber it should give? It's not an issue for me as I can adjust the camber via wishbone length. Interestingly the strikers use the hub carrier at 90° which would result in a differing toe angle.

djtom - 3/3/16 at 11:19 PM

That's interesting - and I may be mistaken, but I always thought it was the bearing carrier that dictated the camber and toe-in. I know that you can get shims to adjust it.
Why have the offset bolts if it doesn't matter which way round you fit it?

ChrisL - 4/3/16 at 08:17 PM

So this is the [position I'm going for, bit of fettling and drilling required. Next step is to put the hubs back on so I can check the clearance.

Description
Description

Daf - 4/3/16 at 09:34 PM

Keep me posted - I'm keen to see this work.

ChrisL - 27/3/16 at 07:54 PM

A little update, so I've persevered on, had some fun getting bolts to fit, a few 'being thick' moments and a bit of judicious use of the angry grinder I've got the brake to a point where I've attached the hoses (cheers to Russbost).
Now just need to fit the pads, bleed and finish the hand brake :-)

Bolt location that need a bit of work:
Description
Description

And they're in:
Description
Description

and
Description
Description

Mazdaboy - 30/9/19 at 02:06 PM

Great solution! Did anyone ever get any drawings made with dimensions for the brackets?

Cheers