Board logo

jet engine project up for grabs
tegwin - 15/12/18 at 06:31 PM

A few years ago I started building a turbo-charger based gas turbine engine.

The frame is built along with the combustor and pipework. The oil pump and fuel pumps are made and mounted. I have all the pipes, cooler, tanks etc to get this running but I got distracted by beer and girls so I am unsure when I will get this finished.

Intention was to run this of high pressure diesel with direct injection hence the high pressure pump and nozzles. Pre-heat on gas.

There's probably £1000 worth of parts in this...

I don't believe it would take much to get this up and running.

For similar projects check out RCDON.COM

I would love to see someone finish this and get it running. It's located in Plymouth but I will be heading to North Wales for Christmas via Worcester and Chester so can meet up.

Id sell the whole lot for £200 which is about how much the fuel pump alone was....

[Edited on 15/12/18 by tegwin]

ReMan - 16/12/18 at 09:23 PM

I need a jet!
But I need my nuts for Christmas

femster87 - 17/12/18 at 12:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
I need a jet!

Bit optimistic

nick205 - 17/12/18 at 10:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by femster87
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
I need a jet!

Bit optimistic

A man has to have dreams in life

nick205 - 17/12/18 at 10:09 AM

tegwin...

It's not for me, but out of interest what was the plan for the jet - to thrust a wheeled vehicle along?

tegwin - 17/12/18 at 10:15 AM

Aha yes, a niche thing.

The plan was to built this as a gas producer and then make a free power turbine to drive an alternator.

Mostly just a bit of fun to see what I could achieve.. the most glorious way of converting diesel fuel into noise ever!

scudderfish - 17/12/18 at 11:55 AM

Jet powered beer cooler?

http://www.asciimation.co.nz/beer/

SPYDER - 17/12/18 at 11:56 AM

It will keep your workshop warm too! If only I had more time this would be right up my street.
I worked in jet engine manufacture/refurb for years but have only fairly recently taken a more detailed interest in the "workings".
We scrapped many a combustor liner that was beyond use but they would have been too big for this anyway.
This project would have had me rummaging in the skips for a fuel nozzle or a liner or two.
Your liner looks interesting. Is it your own "design?"

tegwin - 17/12/18 at 12:17 PM

Sounds like my background too. I started my career as an aentice building jet engines.

The combustion liner is a fairly conventional design for this type of engine. There’s a comprehensive calculator somewhere on the web that helps decide hole areas, bypass volume etc for a given compressor wheel.

This was built to well tried theory with quite some precision so I’ve no reasons to suspect it won’t work.