Board logo

Kitcar project free to good home
Memphis - 8/2/20 at 11:27 AM

So...I bought this Pace Maelstrom that was on Ebay a few times. I always liked cars with bodywork, and I remember this one from 1987 when it was introduced; I even competed against one at Harewood in the 90s. Nostalgia got the better of me, and I thought I could get it and improve it to how I wanted.

Sadly, after delving into it, stripping a few bodges away, I realise I just don't have the enthusiasm and inclination to carry it forward. It needs to go to a good home (possibly to someone a lot younger than me!) who will sort it and get it out there.

It's runs and drives, has a full MOT, is correctly registered on the V5 as a Pace Maelstrom. However, it IS a project. I binned the seats; stripped out 10kg of wood panels from the cockpit (I think the last owner was better at woodwork than engineering...), removed a remote brake servo bodge etc etc.

Power is from a 1600 Fiat Twin Cam with a 5 speed alloy cased Mirafiori gearbox. The gearbox has a home made remote linkage/extension which need improving. Rear axle is Cortina Mk3/4/5 Koln and is 5 linked. Chassis is a combination of spaceframe with some steel panels (strong). Front end is inboard rising rate coilovers and double wishbone using pushrods (very clever for the time). Wheels are 6j x 14 5 spoke alloys with good tyres. I removed the rollbar as I found the front brace was bolted to a piece of wood! The whole body lifts off as one by removing 11 bolts and unplugging the rear lights, but is quite heavy. If you were going to hillclimb it you would be at a slight disadvantage, but as a roadcar I don't think you'd notice any difference.

All in all it's a great project with striking looks. It wouldn't take much to get it back on the road. you could even remove the whole body and make it a stripped out Clubmans style racer. It's just that I really can't be arsed. At my age I have have surfeit of capital over time, anfd I don't want to spend years in my garage faffing around when I'd rather be out there enjoying myself

Send me a private message if you're interested. If no interest within a week I will scrap it...which would be a crying shame. I'm in Derbyshire near Matlock. Google Pace Maelstrom and you should see a few pics of completed cars. This one is pre-hammerhead! I have a couple of pics but have no idea how to get them on here.

Memphis - 8/2/20 at 11:30 AM

https://youtu.be/DVF-Shjg3HQ

RWD Focus - 8/2/20 at 12:45 PM

Messaged

Memphis - 9/2/20 at 09:12 AM

The car is provisionally spoken for. If anything changes I'll let you know.

Memphis - 13/2/20 at 02:18 PM

The car is now on it's way to a new home. Thanks for looking. I must learn to be less impetuous!

mangogrooveworkshop - 15/2/20 at 03:46 PM

I have a windscreen frame for it you can get for the price of postage foc
needs glass and some uprights

[Edited on 15-2-20 by mangogrooveworkshop]

steppers - 5/3/20 at 08:15 PM

Oops, I've just bought this car.

Fingers crossed it's not that bad after all.

But at the end of the day, I am back in the kit car world!

[Edited on 5/3/20 by steppers]

Memphis - 5/3/20 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steppers
Oops, I've just bought this car.

Fingers crossed it's not that bad after all.

But at the end of the day, I am back in the kit car world!

[Edited on 5/3/20 by steppers]

So let's get this straight. I gave the car away to someone who pretended to want it for his son as a project, who said they were going to improve it and get it back on the road, but actually just wanted to flip it for a quick buck.

My faith in human nature has sunk to an all time low. RWD Focus I hope you're proud of yourself.

steppers - 5/3/20 at 09:05 PM

Sounds like that's what has happened. He made an easy buck!

I feel that I've been done also.

I can't believe you gave it away in the first place, fingers crossed it isn't as bad as it sounds. Just wish me some luck with it

SJ - 5/3/20 at 09:11 PM

I'm afraid there are plenty of people out there who just aren't very nice.

Memphis - 5/3/20 at 09:33 PM

quote:
Sounds like that's what has happened. He made an easy buck!

I feel that I've been done also.

I can't believe you gave it away in the first place, fingers crossed it isn't as bad as it sounds. Just wish me some luck with it

I gave it away as it became clear that it was a bigger project than I first anticipated, and I just couldn't summon up the enthusiasm. At 61 years old I didn't want to spend years in a cold garage getting it how I wanted so I thought an enthusiast would have more time and willpower than me. There was a time when my brother and I would have got stuck in and finished it in no time, but he died suddenly 2 years ago so I had no help available.

Anyhow Steppers, I'm glad you got hold of it and I'd be really interested in any developments you make. Perhaps you could start a build (rebuild) diary.

Cheers Chris.

Memphis - 5/3/20 at 09:40 PM

May I ask where you saw it for sale and for how much?

steppers - 5/3/20 at 09:41 PM

Yeah, a long term project for me, as long as I can get on the road for this season, then after that, maybe tinker a little deeper and see what happens. It's all about having some fun and meeting like minded people.

Benzine - 5/3/20 at 11:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Memphis

link to ebay advert

Claims work has been done. Between you and the new owner you can establish whether or not that is true.
If it is true then that's added some time/labour. I just don't get why it wouldn't get offered on this forum again instead of going down the ebay route. Oh actually I can... money.

Memphis - 6/3/20 at 12:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:

link to ebay advert

Claims work has been done. Between you and the new owner you can establish whether or not that is true.
If it is true then that's added some time/labour. I just don't get why it wouldn't get offered on this forum again instead of going down the ebay route. Oh actually I can... money.

Apart from bolt the rollbar back on, he's done fuck-all.

Memphis - 6/3/20 at 01:47 PM

quote:
Yeah, a long term project for me, as long as I can get on the road for this season, then after that, maybe tinker a little deeper and see what happens. It's all about having some fun and meeting like minded people.

U2U Message sent.

02GF74 - 6/3/20 at 05:53 PM

quote:
If no interest within a week I will scrap it...which would be a crying shame.

Who can say whether what is stated in the advert is true but unless there was a legally binding contract that stated the person who collected it was not allowed to sell, not much anyone can do so don't get upset.

The person who collected saw an opportunity to make some money, so why not?

It may not be cricket but at least it was not scrapped.

Don't beat yourself over it.

steppers - 6/3/20 at 05:58 PM

Can I just set the record straight, that I worded my first post badly, and didn't mean any harm to anyone or mean any offence to anyone.

It was just a bit of a shock that I paid for a car that was given away and worried why it was given away in the first place.

Thanks and apologies again
Daryl

02GF74 - 6/3/20 at 06:06 PM

Firstly welcome to the forum, there are some very helpful folks on here.

No need to apologise, naturally you will be feeling miffed but remember you paid what the car was worth to you, so try to put it out of your mind that it was given away for free. It is still worth that much and is a very good deal.

number-1 - 6/3/20 at 06:54 PM

I might have missed this part.......but who was the car gifted to? I presume Steppers is innocent in this and bought it via that ebay listing?

If so, Steppers, welcome to the forum. As already mentioned, this place is the ideal forum to get all the info and help you will need to make the car into what it deserves to be. I kind of like the look of it.

steppers - 6/3/20 at 07:34 PM

Another note, I have been offered a full refund from the seller if I was not happy.

Cheers again and hopefully many more post as I ask for advice and try to improve and modify the car