Board logo

tool chests
daniel mason - 12/2/12 at 08:15 PM

could anyone recommend me a used tool chest as i currently dont have one. needs to be metal, and drawers to be on roller bearings. i am looking for used as i feel i can possibly get a beter quality one for the money.
ideally the bigger the better, budget around £200 -£300 cheers

owelly - 12/2/12 at 08:38 PM

Halfords Industrial are good and what I now use. They often have very good deals.

daniel mason - 12/2/12 at 08:47 PM

are the professional ones better? beeen looking on the bay at used snap on, mac and usa pro boxes mainly.

thunderace - 12/2/12 at 09:04 PM

Halfords Industrial

MakeEverything - 12/2/12 at 09:19 PM

I've got a set of halfords professional, and they are good.

I did have my eye on a stainless chest as big as my car, for £400 bt that was a while ag on eBay.

designer - 12/2/12 at 09:41 PM

I have a top of the range, both Halfords and Machine Mart, and they are basically the same quality, go for the one with the best offer.

Stott - 12/2/12 at 10:00 PM

Go to your local clas ohlson and get their box, £129 new.

Twice as thick as a halfords/Clarke box, ball bearing runners, double gas struts on the lid, document holder, lockable........

Go have a play with it, YOU WON'T BELIEVE THE PRICE WHEN YOU TOUCH IT!!!!!!!!!

Atb
Stott

Edit: if you've got £300 to spend get the cab too, you absolutely cannot get a better box new for under £300

Edit again: sorry it's £320, but it's incredible vfm :

http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Category.aspx?id=164109889&_path=251882;85177593;164109715;164109889

[Edited on 12/2/12 by Stott]

greggors84 - 12/2/12 at 10:41 PM

I have one of these for home

http://www.cromwell.co.uk/KEN5945240K

At work we have Snap-On, Lista and Fami tool boxes that cost loads more but I would say the quality is comparable. They feel very heavy duty and the drawers are super smooth.

The best way is to have go have a look at some different brands as they all look the same on a piece of paper but the quality can be miles apart.

greggors84 - 12/2/12 at 11:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by The Venom Project
I use Beta tool chests, they are made in the same factory as Snap On

Im pretty sure Beta tools are made in Italy around the corner from the Monza circuit.

franky - 12/2/12 at 11:25 PM

correct!

Phil.J - 13/2/12 at 10:23 AM

I have US Pro tool boxes: Roller cab, step-up box, top box and two side hanging cabinets, 30 drawers total all roller bearings, heavy gauge steel construction (weighs about 5cwt empty), all for around £600 from Ebay. Great quality at a very good price.
Just wish I'd bought it in red rather than crackle black!

Confused but excited. - 14/2/12 at 02:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
I have one of these for home

http://www.cromwell.co.uk/KEN5945240K

At work we have Snap-On, Lista and Fami tool boxes that cost loads more but I would say the quality is comparable. They feel very heavy duty and the drawers are super smooth.

The best way is to have go have a look at some different brands as they all look the same on a piece of paper but the quality can be miles apart.

I have the Teng Tools one like this, £15 from a car booty. This is LCB after all.
Have to say the guy selling it didn't have a clue.

escary - 14/2/12 at 07:50 PM

I bought a big roll cab with a top box from an e bay trader , JFS.

it bit mote than your budget at £600, an excellent box, and can be bought in two parts.

I'll try and get some more details and post a photo.

Not snap on quality, but close and a 1/5 of the price.

used by me for the last three years and still as good as new.

Tool Chest on Rollcab cabinet toolbox, Snap lock wheels | eBay

this is the one, get the phone number and talk to them, they are easy to deal with and offer excellent service

regards

Ewan Scrymgeour

hillbillyracer - 14/2/12 at 08:21 PM

I've been through a few Clarke Pro, Sealey Premier etc & they've not lasted being used in a workshop every day & lifted in & out of vans etc. I bought a 9 drawer Snap-on second hand for £150 as it had fell out of a van & damaged the bottom corner & scuffed the front, young lad who'd bought it new a few months earlier just couldn't have a damaged box, wouldn't do! A year in the workshop & the damage just didnt show along with the normal wear & tear, had 6 years or more now & it'd be fine if I hadn't knocked it off the top box with a telehandler, OOPS! Just needs drawer runners to make it right again.
This aint to say Snap-on is the best, but buying higher quality second hand has really showed to better for me than new lower quality stuff.

wilkingj - 15/2/12 at 09:18 AM

DONT but the Half-Fords budget range!
It has lasted me 6 years and just serviceable now in a home situation / weekend mechanic scenario.
I recon it wouldnt last 6 months in a professional workshop environment.

In Life you get what you pay for. When you dont get what you want / expect, At least you DO get some experience thrown in!

I should have known / bought better