Board logo

WTD: Someone to TIG weld lambda boss onto my exhaust? - Near Warwick
nre - 2/10/12 at 09:01 AM

Anyone near to Warwick who can TIG a lambda boss onto my exhaust (section is fairly small and removed from the car).

Beer tokens available!

It's to replace the previous one, bung has now completely seized in place:

Cheers!

[Edited on 2/10/12 by nre]

matt_gsxr - 2/10/12 at 09:10 AM

I am no expert, but why can't you just MIG it (or maybe you don't have MIG).

I've found stainless wire a godsend for repairing saucepans and other kitchen bits where the spot welds fail.
Hence justifying the cost of the welder!

nre - 2/10/12 at 09:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
I am no expert, but why can't you just MIG it (or maybe you don't have MIG).

I've found stainless wire a godsend for repairing saucepans and other kitchen bits where the spot welds fail.
Hence justifying the cost of the welder!

Don't have any welding facilities myself, got it TIGed last time round so seemed sensible to do the same again...

matt_gsxr - 2/10/12 at 09:56 AM

That is a good reason not to DIY

Agriv8 - 2/10/12 at 10:21 AM

have you tried giving the old one a good belt with a hammer strait on the face of the bung ( biggest hammer you dare that wont crush the tube )?

it may crack the sezure and enable you to release !

ATB agriv8

blakep82 - 2/10/12 at 10:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
have you tried giving the old one a good belt with a hammer strait on the face of the bung ( biggest hammer you dare that wont crush the tube )?

it may crack the sezure and enable you to release !

ATB agriv8

or a blow torch to heat the pipe (but try to avoid the bung) as stainless expands a fair bit more than mild steel, might be enough to help lever it out?

nre - 2/10/12 at 10:47 AM

Tried just about every trick I could think of including blow torch and brute force, but it wouldn't budge. Then proceeded to try drilling out and smashing out the remnants but it has well and truly fused into a single piece! Decided it was time to admit defeat...!

Chippy - 2/10/12 at 12:23 PM

When I had mine done I went to a local welding place, and was well pleased, not only with the job but also the small price just £20, plus he did it while I waited. HTH Ray

tilly819 - 2/10/12 at 01:27 PM

is that a S/S bung in a S/S boss??

You want to use a mild steel bung in a S/S boss. never had any problems doing it this way. I belive it is becuse of the differing thermal expansion properties of stainless vs mild.

worth having the bung black phosphated too so is has some elemant of corrosion protection.

hope this helps for future

tilly

[Edited on 2/10/12 by tilly819]

nre - 2/10/12 at 01:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tilly819
is that a S/S bung in a S/S boss??

You want to use a mild steel bung in a S/S boss. never had any problems doing it this way. I belive it is becuse of the differing thermal expansion properties of stainless vs mild.

worth having the bung black phosphated too so is has some elemant of corrosion protection.

hope this helps for future

tilly

[Edited on 2/10/12 by tilly819]

Not sure what the original one was, replacement is a SS boss with mild steel bung as recommended :-)

Thanks!

motorcycle_mayhem - 2/10/12 at 05:52 PM

If you believe Lincoln to be near Warwick, then I'll gladly do it for you if you bring a few bottles of Duck Soup.
This weekend isn't possible (I'm on a distant track), but if there's no hurry drop me line...

tilly819 - 2/10/12 at 06:06 PM

I can do it if you are coming past melton mowbray over a weekend or of a evening

tilly