Board logo

wtd. Heated seat gubbins...
owelly - 22/11/12 at 09:55 PM

Another off-centre want from me!
I really miss the heated seats from my Rangerover. I also miss the heated steering wheel but I can manage without it but I want to be cosy warm whilst driving my Transit.
EBay has kits for about £40 which gives you a set of heated pads, a pair of two-position switches and a loom but before I splash out my hard earned pennies, has anyone got any other suggestions (apart from thermals, extra undercrackers, or incontinence)? Has anyone ever stripped the guts out of a heated seat to transplant? Or should I just find seats that are already heated and fit them? should I buy a cheap heated seat cover for a tenner and butcher that to go inside my seats?
TIA...

dave-69isit - 22/11/12 at 10:00 PM

ford galaxy have them get um from scrappy

mookaloid - 22/11/12 at 10:00 PM

I think those ebay kits look pretty good value TBH

you'd struggle to get a pair of working heated seats with all the gubbins for that money wouldn't you?

Cheers

Mooky

owelly - 22/11/12 at 10:32 PM

I can't find Galaxy seats for the kind of cash I want to spend but if I could find heated Galaxy seats on swivels for the right price, it could be a go-er. The current transit seats are very comfy so skinning them to retro-fit heated pads seems to be the way to go. No-one got any old heated seats that could dinate their innards?

loggyboy - 22/11/12 at 10:57 PM

I remember seeing a how to for vauxhalls using old volvo heating pads. Might be worth an ebaying for any heated seat on auction to pick up a local or badly listed bargain?

owelly - 22/11/12 at 11:19 PM

I've found bloke about 35 miles away selling a heated seat from a PT Cruiser for £35. If he has a pair and will do a deal, it may be worth a look. But there again, even if I got the pair for £60, theres still £20 for fuel and half a day to collect....or buy it now on Ebay and wait for the posty...

StevieB - 22/11/12 at 11:57 PM

35 away from you but is it anywhere near me?

I could collect and drop up at some point (long overdue a visit to the in laws at scalby anyway)

owelly - 23/11/12 at 09:34 AM

Just up the road from you Steve in Stockton. But not Stockton on Forest...it's in Stockton on Tees...... I may have a looksy to see if the Transit seats can be dismantled and if they can, I'll order a set of those heated seat kits and see what happens. I'll also buy a pair of fire extinguishers....

mad4x4 - 23/11/12 at 11:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I've found bloke about 35 miles away selling a heated seat from a PT Cruiser for £35. If he has a pair and will do a deal, it may be worth a look. But there again, even if I got the pair for £60, theres still £20 for fuel and half a day to collect....or buy it now on Ebay and wait for the posty...

What are you driving that it will take 12hrs and to travel 70 Miles and £20 Fuel. John Deere Tractor?

monkeyarms - 23/11/12 at 12:49 PM

Aldi have heated seat covers, slip onto your seat and plug into 12v socket. £10 each
I bought one for the GF and she loves it

Peteff - 23/11/12 at 07:12 PM

You want some Fiery Jack you do.

owelly - 23/11/12 at 07:23 PM

12 hours isn't half a day even though a clock would suggest it is. I drop the kids off at school at 9 & 9:30 so by the time I get to Teesside, that'll be 10:30. Collect seats and heading home by 10:45. Oooo, MaccyDs....there's another 30 mins wasted. That puts me back home at 12:15 which you must agree, is over halfway through the day, as suggested by the title 'midday'.
70 miles at 20mpg (the Transit is a thirsty thing)=3.5gallons x £6.36= £22.25
Simples.

I missed the heated covers at Lidl and they're the same price as the ones on ebay for a similar price. I just wanted something a bit more permanent.