Board logo

Mid engined BEC: Riot, Menace or J15
wirestriker - 31/1/13 at 11:14 AM

Hi guys
After years of trackdays with my R1 Fury, now I am looking for a mid engined BEC like a Sylva Riot or maybe J15 and Menace (I know they're very rare!!!)

Preferably in race trim, road registered or not.

Anything considered, even rolling chassis and projects.

Thanks, Matteo

Jenko - 31/1/13 at 11:47 AM

I went from a Westfield and in the process of building my J15. What I would say is it is liberating doing your own build and making a car from scratch exactly the way you want it....A few people have done the bike engined riot's j15's (worth a search for thier blogs).

I've not driven the J15 in anger yet (only had a quick go in the demo car), but they are aero dynamic, and the chassis looks looks good, so with the right components, should be a decent track car.

Browny - 31/1/13 at 11:48 AM

How about an MK Midi, Martin designed the current RGB winning chassis and suspension for Spire. I bet some of that knowledge has made its way onto the Midi.

Plus a new build you'll get exactly what you want, modifications can be made so that'll suit your requirements exactly, pretty cheap too, see link;

http://www.mkengineering.co.uk/midi-photos-price-list

ceebmoj - 31/1/13 at 01:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wirestriker
Menace (I know they're very rare!!!)

do you have any pictures or links not heard of this one

wirestriker - 31/1/13 at 02:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
quote:
Originally posted by wirestriker
Menace (I know they're very rare!!!)

do you have any pictures or links not heard of this one

Fisher Fury Menace, I think only 3 road cars and 3 race cars built around 2004/05

Basically a traditional Fury with the engine in the middle and cockpit moved forward. I love it.

Thanks for thee advise on the MK Midi, it's relatively new style, I've never seen a used one for sale.

I think the easier choice will be finding a used R1ot and then fit a J15 body. Is it possible? Has it been made before?

It seems strange, but my future toy will have to be a "classic looking" like the fury... even if it will be a track only car. I know that buying an old Radical Clubsport will be the best and cheaper way to have fun on the track, but i hate modern looking cars.

DH2 - 31/1/13 at 04:09 PM

I thought I recognised that photo...

DH2

I predict a Riot - 31/1/13 at 09:38 PM

I asked Jeremy Philips about rebodying a Riot into a J15 when I bought mine and he said it is possible as the cars are fundamentally identical but might not be cost effective. If you have your mind set on a J15 I would look for one already built.

When I was last round at Jeremy's before Christmas he had some chassis there and had recently sold a track orientated BEC Riot as a sighting car to a racer. He quite often knows of or has himself second hand cars for sale. I would give him a ring.

Good luck looking.