Board logo

blocking holes in carbs
dave-69isit - 6/2/13 at 11:19 PM

just striped my throttle boddies removed the rear butterflys just wonderd whats the best way to block the holes left by the pin that went threw the boddies i was going to fill the holes with chemi metal any ideas
sorry wrong page

[Edited on 6/2/13 by dave-69isit]

steve m - 6/2/13 at 11:55 PM

I would find a ball bearing, slightly bigger than the hole, and knock it in, and then fill will chemical metal

even if you had to drill the hole out slightley for the ball to be a snug fit

Steve

snapper - 7/2/13 at 06:12 AM

Wouldn't bother with a ball bearing
Just epoxy or chem metal
Your only blocking a hole and it will be mostly at atmospheric or vac

will121 - 7/2/13 at 07:01 AM

I made up some aluminium top hat blank plugs and epoxy glued them in so impossible to fall into the inlet, I think I would be a bit concerned about a chemical metal plug in a 5mm ish parallel hole, may be ok if you can form a mushroom like cap on the outside rather than finish it flush

Daddylonglegs - 7/2/13 at 07:27 AM

I agree with the chemical metal route. As long as you clean it thoroughly first and make sure there is a small mushroom head as already suggested on the outside. If it's mixed right and applied to a good clean surface it's damn good stuff.

HTH

renetom - 7/2/13 at 08:00 AM

Drill it ,Tap it, use a flange head
screw with locktite.

Or a fat self tapper & araldite.

[Edited on 7/2/13 by renetom]

britishtrident - 7/2/13 at 08:01 AM

Tap the hole an put a set screw in it.

JeffHs - 7/2/13 at 08:53 AM

Weber service manual says use lead. I drilled mine out to de-fur the passages then made lead plugs from some scrap flashing. I used a heavy duty hole punch to make the plugs then tapped them in - self sealing.

Daddylonglegs - 7/2/13 at 09:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JeffHs
Weber service manual says use lead. I drilled mine out to de-fur the passages then made lead plugs from some scrap flashing. I used a heavy duty hole punch to make the plugs then tapped them in - self sealing.

What a damn fine idea! One to remember

matt_gsxr - 7/2/13 at 09:48 AM

I used JB weld, but didn't rough up the surfaces when I blocked the secondary throttle plates on my gsxr1000 TBI's.
This worked fine.

Then I added a turbo and two of them popped out at 8psi, probably due to the pressure and heat. So I tapped a thread to roughen it up and then filled with JB weld and all seems fine.

Matt

snapper - 7/2/13 at 12:12 PM

Chemical metal if applied properly is used to raise port floors in a pinto

redturner - 24/2/13 at 07:06 PM

Lots of steel balls used to block holes in a Ford block and lots used to block holes in Weber carbs. I used plastic metal to block the air correction jets in my R1 s and then redrilled them to the size we wanted.....