Board logo

Who can make aluminium floor panels?
Brett Jones - 21/3/13 at 12:38 PM

Hi All,

I am looking for someone who is able to make two aluminium floor panels as dipected in the drawing below out of 3mm rice grain tread plate?

[img][/img]

Beer tokens waiting.

Thanks
Brett

snakebelly - 21/3/13 at 02:50 PM

I think you'll struggle to get that very tight bend out of 3 mm?

Davey D - 21/3/13 at 03:07 PM

As above. If you try bending that out of 3mm Alu, then it will most likely crack along the tight bend. What is the bent section for?

TimC - 21/3/13 at 03:32 PM

Why 3mm?

Talon Motorsport - 21/3/13 at 04:03 PM

You would have to weld the return on and dress it with a grinder.

Brett Jones - 21/3/13 at 04:15 PM

Thanks for the replies.

The idea was to drill two holes through the slope and bolt the flap to the floor plate. Do you think I'll have the same problem if I use 2mm thick aluminium?

Thanks Brett

Davey D - 21/3/13 at 07:02 PM

You would do it in 1mm no problem, although I would still apply a bit of heat before bending it to make sure it's as malleable as it can be. 2mm maybe, but again I would heat it up along the fold line to help.

A big factor is the grade of Alu that you use, as some are softer than others

Depending on how much you want to spend/ resources available to you, you could take the plate to a fab shop where they could plasma cut a stitched line where you want to bend it, then it should bend a bit easier as there is less material. You can then weld the cuts back up again if needed to give back the strength

2cv - 21/3/13 at 07:44 PM

Unless there is any specific reason why not, 1.2mm (18 gauge) NS4 aluminium alloy will do the job very nicely and is widely used for this purpose.