Board logo

[Wanted] V5 from a kit car with a registration date before 2006
reb - 6/7/16 at 07:56 PM

Hi,

I need a V5 and a matching VIN plate from a kit car with a first registration date before 2006.

If you only have a V5 contact me anway please.

I will also consider buying a damaged frame or a totaled kit car if we can agree on a fair price.

Thanks!

twybrow - 6/7/16 at 08:04 PM

Reb, unless you have a pretty good reason for this request, I would suggest you look elsewhere. You appear to be trying to fraudulently apply an identification to another car. That is called ringing and it is illegal. I think I can safely say this forum rather dislikes such behaviour. Go get an IVA like everyone else.

MsD - 6/7/16 at 08:07 PM

bi22le - 6/7/16 at 08:18 PM

Good luck on this site mate, wrong audience.

Irony - 6/7/16 at 09:02 PM

I constantly wonder how some folks make it to adulthood......

kingster996 - 6/7/16 at 09:03 PM

Blatant ringing or what?

Seriously????

LBMEFM - 6/7/16 at 09:27 PM

Can you believe this guy

britishtrident - 6/7/16 at 09:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM
Can you believe this guy

Sadly yes......................

B33fy - 6/7/16 at 10:02 PM

Happens all the time in the classic car scene.. MGB vin plate, V5 and a heritage bodyshell, jobs a good'un...

Ben_Copeland - 7/7/16 at 05:52 AM

Report to fozzie

britishtrident - 7/7/16 at 06:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by B33fy
Happens all the time in the classic car scene.. MGB vin plate, V5 and a heritage bodyshell, jobs a good'un...

But am order of magnitude of a difference, more like ringing the plates from a series Land-Rover. to modern 110

Bluemoon - 7/7/16 at 06:57 AM

quote:

If you have all the points that the DVLA need to keep the registration. The points define when "Triggers Broom" is no longer a Broom..

Linky:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/radically-altered-vehicles

BUT V5 + VIN would not be enough.

Dan

Rosco86 - 7/7/16 at 07:08 AM

why didnt i think of this!!

B33fy - 7/7/16 at 07:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
quote:

If you have all the points that the DVLA need to keep the registration. The points define when "Triggers Broom" is no longer a Broom..

Linky:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/radically-altered-vehicles

BUT V5 + VIN would not be enough.

Dan

Totally agree, the guidelines are the guidelines, ringing is ringing, the point I'm making albeit tongue in cheek, it seems more acceptable within the classic car scene.

nick205 - 7/7/16 at 08:05 AM

I'm no expert on the legal side, but this doesn't seem right to me!

reb - 7/7/16 at 09:36 AM

Let me give you all some legal advice.

Buying a V5 and a Vin plate is not illegal by any means! It is the same as buying a knife.

It all depends on what you are going to do with it.

Are you going to cut vegetables with a knife or are you going to cut up folks which have no understanding of legal matters?

I hope you understand the situation now and you are in no position to imply what I need the V5 for.

(And yes my kit car has a valid V5 already and I purchased the car rightfully)

[Edited on 7/7/16 by reb]

[Edited on 7/7/16 by reb]

z2000 - 7/7/16 at 09:39 AM

So what's the V5 and VIN for?

Think we're all curious now.

Cheers

reb - 7/7/16 at 09:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by z2000

Cheers

I do not want to be inpolite by any means so do not take offense.

However what I am going to do with it is not of your concern.

You are also not in a position to imply what I am going to do with it.

So there is no ground for a discussion whatsoever.

But let me tell you that I like to collect things.

Anyway, I would appreciate it if you guys can keep my thread clean as long as you do not have any offers to make.

loggyboy - 7/7/16 at 10:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by reb
quote:

Cheers

Anyway, I would appreciate it if you guys can keep my thread clean as long as you do not have any offers to make.

You can mask it and make up any lies you like about your intentions - but the simple fact is we all know what you plan to do with it and we as a community don't like it so please don't post any more similar requests.

Norfolkluegojnr - 7/7/16 at 10:10 AM

Irony - 7/7/16 at 10:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by reb

If it was something legal then you would tell us what it is. If you collect things (such as V5s and matching VINS) then you would be proud of your collection and you would want to tell us all about it.

My advice is that you simply go away as you have asked a question without really thinking of the implications. Take the tattered remnants of whats left of your dignity and simply fade away. Any further comments will only dig the hole deeper

Toys2 - 7/7/16 at 10:41 AM

Guys, you should be more forgiving

What's at all suspicious about paying for a piece of paper and tinplate, that has no intrinsic value unless it is illegally applied to a car that it doesn't belong to?

Toys2 - 7/7/16 at 10:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Rosco86
why didnt i think of this!!

Typical of you Rosco, always cutting corners, why not just do the job properly?

owelly - 7/7/16 at 11:15 AM

Now it's been explained, I don't mind selling the docs, tags and plates off my old Busted kit car. In fact, I have three spare V5s.

Mr Whippy - 7/7/16 at 11:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by reb
quote:

Cheers

lmao what a brilliantly stupid response

like a stamp album I suppose but you get endless SORN reminders to boot . A SORN form fetish wow! whatever next?

[Edited on 7/7/16 by Mr Whippy]

Toys2 - 7/7/16 at 11:52 AM

I like to collect things too, I collect names.

Names of people who have upset me on forums.

However what I am going to do with them is not of your concern.

You are also not in a position to imply what I am going to do with them.

But let me tell you that I like to collect names.

Toys2 - 7/7/16 at 11:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
like a stamp album I suppose but you get endless SORN reminders to boot . A SORN form fetish wow! whatever next?

LMAO

Sorn mags, hard core and soft core Sorn, under the counter Sorn, internet Sorn

At least they are delivered in subtle brown envelopes

[Edited on 7/7/16 by Toys2]

ian locostzx9rc2 - 7/7/16 at 02:43 PM

I haven't looked into whether it's legal or not to try and buy v5 and vin but having a v5 and vin number and no car in which its attached to is wrong and pretty dodgy in my eyes !!

loggyboy - 7/7/16 at 02:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ian locostzx9rc2
I haven't looked into whether it's legal or not to try and buy v5 and vin but having a v5 and vin number and no car in which its attached to is wrong and pretty dodgy in my eyes !!

There is technically nothing wrong with buying them at all. Its what you then do with it that's the problem.

ian locostzx9rc2 - 7/7/16 at 02:51 PM

But surely you would have to sorn it or insure and tax it but there's no vehicle ?

AdrianH - 7/7/16 at 04:54 PM

There is possibly a reason, may be still a bit dubious.

Just say you want ot build your self another kit car and do not what to get a Q plate.
If you had a V5 and Vin then in theory you could fit a new engine with number and get the paperwork changed. You could then use the V5 as a supposed single donor car for your kit car, just say it was to damaged and decided to build another, could you then use that to get a sort of age related to the original kit car and not a Q reg.

Did any of that make sense?

Adrian

owelly - 7/7/16 at 05:18 PM

The V5 stays with the chassis or unmodified monocoque. To establish if the vehicle can use the ID, then you use the DVLAs points system. Even then, the ID stays with the chassis/'shell. It's possible to use a replacement chassis or 'shell but it must be new, the same as the 'donor' and unmodified.

[Edited on 7/7/16 by owelly]

AdrianH - 7/7/16 at 06:11 PM

When I built my Kit car, I had the engine, gearbox, diff, steering column, wiring harness etc from a donor car, a sierra.

To show that it was a single donor I just showed the V5 to Vosa/DVLA, at an inspection prior to IVA, the numbers matched. By rights, I should not have had the V5 as the car body was scrapped prior and gone off to a scrap yard, but without the V5, how could I go on to get an age related car registration.

Now consider you are building a kit car, but want to build a certain style of car, with X engine and box etc, you don't want a Q plate as it does not allow you to later change to a personalised one.

As I say, if you had a Vin plate and V5 what would stop you saying that this 'vehicle' had an engine change for the engine of your choice, send off the V5 and get the details changed, the V5 would still have it's registration as Y kit car.

You then built your new kit from parts that supposedly came from this kit, you present to Vosa/DVLA say that you decided the Y kit car was to damaged in a track-day so has been scrapped but the parts used to build a new. Would the points system work in your favour and let you get an age related registration.

So might not be completely following the spirit of the rules to build a new kit, but you would not end up with a ringer.

You could in theory fit a Zetec to an old Sierra, get the numbers changed on the log sheet then later scrap to build a kit with it.

That could be a reason the OP is asking for a V5 and Vin plate???????

Adrian

Neville Jones - 7/7/16 at 06:30 PM

For any of this above to be the least bit feasible or useable, you'd have to have the engine that matches the V5, wouldn't you? The bit about sending off the V5 with an engine change has been tried before.

We tried this here, and got asked for an engineers report on the engine swap. End of story, unless you have a dodgy mechanic who'll write you a report.

The intriguing bit, is why does it have to be a pre 2006 KIT? Pre '95 for emissions I can understand, but pre 2006???

Check this post. He's been after a car with a V5 for a while.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=203116

Ringing broken kits to good cars is very easy. Ask the guy up northeast who gets new 'Cateringvan' chassis from someone not too far from here.

Nev

[Edited on 7/7/16 by Neville Jones]

AdrianH - 7/7/16 at 06:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
The bit about sending off the V5 with an engine change has been tried before. We tried this here, and got asked for an engineers report on the engine swap. End of story,

Nev

Did not know about the requiring engine report. My only dealings with this have been on swapping an Engine in a motorbike, the old engine had been run without oil and was shot, I spoke to DVLA and asked what they wanted and was told just send us in the paperwork, no report was asked for, I was not changing from one tax class to another. So I did as requested sent off the change details and was given a new V5 within 3 weeks, that was approx 18 months ago. So I wonder why you got asked for a engineers report?

Anyway I was just suggesting there may be another reason to ask then doing a ringer..

Adrian

[Edited on 7-7-16 by AdrianH]

Neville Jones - 7/7/16 at 06:49 PM

Change of capacity, hence a report. Going smaller they think you're fudging the system on tax, going bigger they want to know the brakes are adequate.

At least that's how it was explained to me. A 2.3 Duratec in a Mk2 Cortina. Someone at DVLA identified the change of engine family, then wanted to know how much else was altered, and maybe an IVA was needed depending on modifications.

Same for a Mini with a Suzuki GTI engine. I know some people just breeze through, maybe we were just unlucky to find some dear beaurocrat who knows a bit about cars.

Oh for the days of just needing an MOT to register a kit.

AdrianH - 7/7/16 at 07:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones

Oh for the days of just needing an MOT to register a kit.

Oh god no thanks.

I have seen some real death traps, probably in the older Robin Hood era when brake servo's and steering columns had been fastened on with flattened copper tube. large parts of the chassis removed because they were too low. Sharp edges and a few other points that if I really thought about it would put shivers down my spine in fear.

I think the SVA/IVA was a good thing if not a bit expensive.

Adrian

Just wondering is there any MSA/FIA type rules that do not apply to pre 2006 cars?

[Edited on 7-7-16 by AdrianH]

bi22le - 7/7/16 at 07:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Toys2
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

LMAO

Sorn mags, hard core and soft core Sorn, under the counter Sorn, internet Sorn

At least they are delivered in subtle brown envelopes

That is hilarious. Even my wife laughed!!

big_wasa - 7/7/16 at 08:16 PM

My guess the age is to "import it" in to the eu. Maybe Ireland where the cost ( import duty and road tax ) is bassed on age and value.

snapper - 8/7/16 at 04:54 AM

Turbosports sticky
May be worth considering

V5 Sales... Ever.. not today not tomorrow and not next week.
Seeing as people don't read the rules I thought I'd make a sticky for a few weeks to remind people..

NO V5 Sales, EVER on this forum.

It's Illegal for a start, and it's all good until its YOUR car that goes missing and you go through the ball ache like I did last year when my 2000 was stolen.

Anyone who advertises a V5 will be banned from selling on here, I will do it myself!!!

Yodi

nick205 - 8/7/16 at 07:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by reb
quote:

Cheers

IMHO your way out of this is to explain clearly to us why you want them and what you intend to do with them. Some clarification from you may well put people more at ease with what you're asking for. Myself I can't see them being available from people on the LCB forum as the worry would be too high of being implicated in something improper.